Lately, I've been having my fair share of wrist pain, so I decided it was time to try front-fastening bras for myself.
If you are large-breasted like I am, you know the inherent difficulties in finding the best bras for large breasts as well as the sheer joy in finding just the right one. Similarly, you've probably thought you've found your "soulmate" bra only to be profoundly disappointed by its performance over time.
You know the one, right? It starts off keeping up the girls, keeps them pointed straight instead of east and west, is comfortable, supportive, and is even attractive, to boot. Then, the test of time completely severs your love affair . . . the underwire pokes out at the top, the cups stretch out a full size bigger than they're intended to, the straps not only dig into your poor shoulders, but they lose their elasticity, and the girls have then migrated southward.
Luckily for you, I became sick and tired of that scenario and made it my mission to track down the best bras for large breasts. I have written extensively on this topic, have done hours of research, and have sampled a wide variety of brands. In this article, I will give you the winners for the best of the best full-figure bras.
Best Overall, Everyday Bra: Goddess Keira Banded Underwire Bra, #6090
Goddess bras are fairly new on my radar, but caught my attention from all the rave reviews they've been getting. The Goddess Keira is definitely on the top of the favorites list for best bras for large breasts, and for good reason. First of all, it's comfortable! No matter how great a bra is, if it's not comfortable, let's face it, you're not going to wear it. This one has successfully coupled comfort with fantastic fit and support.
Here's how it's different:
- It has sewn-in side slings that lift, separate and really keep your breasts in place. It doesn't smush them together resulting in the dreadful uni-boob look.
- The cups basically have four sections, allowing the breasts to stay forward, without drifting east and west, as well as up, without drifting south.
- The straps are actually flexible, which I was worried about. Sometimes flexible straps stretch out or don't lift properly. This is definitely not the case with the Goddess Keira straps. The flexible straps only give a little and not only prevent strap slippage but make for a much more comfortable all-day-long bra.
- The back of the bra is also unique, in a good way. It has a wider leotard back that aids in comfort and prevents slippage. It only has two hooks, which is preferable for comfort as well as much easier fastening.
- This is fortunately not your Granny's bra either, it's attractive! The satin cups are not only soft but look quite nice. It has a V-plunge that works well with a variety of dresses and blouses, plus a flattering and feminine sheer trim along the top of the cups.
- My only complaint is the color choices. It comes in scarlet (red), chocolate and fawn. I'd like to see a few more colors, in particular black, white and a true beige instead of the pinkish fawn.
Minimizer Bra: Bali Women's Passion for Comfort Minimizer Bra
No matter how you slice it, this Bali minimizer bra is simply impossible to beat, trust me, I've tried. Now, I'm a huge fan of Wacoal minimizer bras and I proudly own and religiously wear them. However, they are a bit spendy, unfortunately. This is where the Bali Women's Passion for Comfort Minimizer bra wins, it's affordable and frankly, minimizes as well as its Wacoal counterparts. For a detailed review, read Top Picks for Minimizer Bras: Best Minimizer Bra.
The bottom line is it minimizes beautifully and is one of the most comfortable of all minimizer bras (it's tied with my Wacoal Slimline Minimizer Bra).
- Let me just say, this Bali bra minimizer just hits you in all the right places and stays put.
- It doesn't have a lacey pattern that's going to rear its head under your clothes, either.
- It's smooth, has no spillage, poking, no uni-boob or cone breasts, and it makes you look a lot smaller than you actually are. It would take some serious competition to beat this bra, I've yet to find it.
Best Sports Bra: Enell Sports Bra
I can't tell you how long I waited to find a sports bra that would properly support large breasts. I tried so many different athletic bras only to be completely disappointed.
This is bar none the best plus-size sports bra:
- It's like having on a comfortable suit of armor for your breasts, they aren't going ANYWHERE.
- It's a racerback bra and it hooks in the front, which is nice for those who find rear hooking bras difficult.
- It's made of nylon and has superior moisture-wicking ability. It uses both compression as well as encapsulation to keep your breasts in place. Wide straps aid in support and comfort.
- The neckline is high and is what they call "motion control". It's almost like wearing a mini camisole, actually.
- Finally, as you can see from the picture on the right, it has a very unique back for a sports bra. It's a racerback (criss-cross design) UNDER a full back, so it's like double support on the back.
Read More From Bellatory
General Characteristics of The Best Bras for Large Breasts
The majority of the quality bras for large breasted women have some common characteristics. So, when you're out shopping in the wild and feeling completely overwhelmed by the variety of styles and choices, here are the attributes you'll want to look for.
- Wide straps for both comfort and support
- A wide band to keep the breasts in place
- Avoid cotton bras- they have too much give and are prone to stretching
- You don't have to spend a fortune on a bra, but when in doubt opt for reputable brands. Investing in a quality bra will pay itself back very quickly.
- Be flexible when bra shopping- try different styles and manufacturers
- This is not always the case, but often the more hooks, the better. When in doubt, shoot for four hooks instead of two. Again, there are exceptions to this rule like the Goddess Keira I've highlighted above.
Ms.fixIt on December 13, 2018:
I am a size 36 G and i can never find a good bra that is cute. Why is that? Why is it once you reach size DD all the bras are ugly. I want supportive and cute with matching undies.
Ladys any ideas
Wendi on March 28, 2018:
I am a 36jj and I have bought this bra before. It was good. However I am looking for a bra that makes me stand out more. I need lifting. I need major support. It feels better on my back when I have that. What do you recommend?
Sue on August 20, 2017:
I have looked through the net and cannot find one bra that is truly made with big breast in mind, I mean big breasts mean a heavy load, so a heavy load needs some heavy support. But allllll the bras I have come across have straps that would do for a b or. C not a j
Goddess did a wonderful bra, good strong straps, but now discontinued ? Why couldn't they replace it with something vaguely the same? It's so annoying, think I will just go and make my own ! Who knows it might be a hit for us larger ladies?
rita on July 15, 2017:
Does anybody have bras for 48gg or 48h? That's what I've been measured as and have a problem find any.Rita
Me on June 18, 2017:
You guys have weird comments.
Cathy on April 19, 2017:
Maybe your breasts aren't large enough.LOL. Remember,bigger is better.Not that I like large but I'm ALSO LARGE BREASTED. Cathy
DDtop on March 17, 2017:
Hi as a male that is i guess classed as busty? being between F-I cup bra dependent 42/44 band find not all are equal in the mid price Elomi/Goddess take a lot of beating(Wacoal brands so sister)ive many of them as find great all rounders they have many styles to suit also.
My others going up in price are Primadonna as Deauville&Madison are beyond approach for large busted last well very supportive&very comfortable both take in side tissues the Deauville more so slight difference in approach to fit between them but either is A1.
glamorise are good for many i love there sports bra 1166 which for wide set/rooted is great &very discrete even under T-shirts for guy's even as wide straps&deep band along with adjustable front layer that can be adjusted to bring them in! it's also very cool in hotter weather with fabrics/design wide size range available.
Elomi also do a great sports bra EL8040/1 wide size range so all catered for it's wired double lined works by more encapsulation method than compression(non wired)
Learn't a lot about it all with sizing/fit's etc as for me having Fibro&Raynauds along with a Pit tumour things become sore/tender easily plus mark/scar which becomes painful so have to take care of them and choose wisely what i buy/wear.
I'm always polite when asking as many treat as with destain about fittings!
But i always leave decent detailed feedback on items i buy so anyone reading can see decent info on the bra & a bit about how i came about so know legit reason.
Many places now welcome my input even one contacted me saying our input is more indepth.
Sophie Steward on February 08, 2017:
I am a large busted woman with a chronic condition so wearing wired bras with back fastenings are uncomfy and painful. It's hard enough as it is just to find a bra that fits and they usually cost me £30. So to find one I am comfy in with no underwire and front fastening in my size is an impossibility. I have been in touch with suppliers to see if they could make them in my size, but had no response.
francis andrews on July 04, 2015:
I am male but I wear bras & fill them out so I have breasts.
Jacqueline Johnson on July 16, 2013:
Love this always looking for the best bra
tschaunerb from Medicine Hat on January 26, 2012:
I wrote a similar article. Gd hub tho.
susannah42 from Florida on March 13, 2011:
Thanks for the information. very useful.
fashion on March 07, 2011:
really nice one...
Elsie Nelson (author) from Pacific Northwest, USA on January 14, 2011:
yes, webtoys... they just might. Nice to see you drop by again!
webtoys on January 06, 2011:
goodness mate, those fit for a new mother...
btw, thanks for this good post