Do You Have an Inverted Triangle Body Shape?
Are You an Inverted Triangle?
If you are, then your shoulders will be wider than your hips and you won’t have much in the way of a waist. Sounds attractive, right?
Actually, a well-toned inverted triangular-shaped body is considered to be one of the more coveted body shapes. Many models and athletes have this shape, so you’re in great company if you do too.
What Problems Can Someone With This Body Shape Encounter?
If clothes are not chosen wisely, you could end up looking very top heavy and boxy, especially if you are carrying some extra weight.
Dos and Don’ts for People With Inverted Triangle Body Shape
The main aim is to minimise attention to the chest and shoulders and draw attention to the slim legs and small hips. Below are 17 tips to help you look great in your clothes.
- Wear dark colours on your top half and lighter colours on the bottom. Because dark colours minimise and light colours make things look larger, a sense of balance and proportion will be achieved with this color combination.
- Keep tops plain, un-patterned, and without adornments. This will draw attention away from the larger top half.
- Tops with dropped shoulders help to minimise the appearance of wide and large shoulders.
- If wearing sleeveless tops, don’t go for spaghetti straps, as they will only emphasise the broadness of your shoulders. Thicker straps or a halter neck will minimise shoulder width.
- If you are fortunate enough to have slim arms, accentuate them with sleeveless tops. But bear in mind the strap advice given above.
- A V-neckline will draw the eye away from the shoulders and towards the bust line. However, beware of plunging necklines if you have a larger bust. Also keep away from boat-necks.
- Cropped tops and jackets are another no-no.
- Do not wear tight, clinging Lycra-type tops, as these will draw attention to a thick waist and a large top half. Instead, opt for soft knitwear or jersey material, which fit snugly but skim over the bits you don’t wish to accentuate.
- Wear tops that go just past the hip. This will hide the waist and divert attention away your slim legs.
- Wear trousers or skirts that are fuller or have a flare to add width to hips and legs.
- Never wear great big earrings or necklace. They will draw attention to your shoulders. Instead, keep all large jewelry to your lower half. Large, chunky bangles and bracelets will draw eyes to your slim hips. You could carry a large clutch bag, too.
- Don’t wear anything with a high neck; it will not flatter your shape and you will end up with the dreaded boxy look.
- Steer clear of floaty tops or anything remotely billowing, as you will give the illusion of being all-around big.
- Shoulder pads or puff sleeves are big fashion mistakes for someone an inverted triangle shape.
- Wraps and crossover tops are generally flattering for this body shape.
- To balance the shoulders and hips, go for patterned bottoms, tulip-shaped skirts, and wide-leg pants.
- Create more oomph for your non-existent waist with a decorative belt.
Famous Inverted Triangle Body Shapes
I mentioned at the beginning that you were in good company, didn’t I? Here are 10 famous people with the same body shape as you:
- Cindy Crawford
- Renee Zellweger
- Teri Hatcher
- Naomi Campbell
- Demi Moore
- Lucy Liu
- Kelly Clarkson
- Dolly Parton
- Pamela Anderson
- Catherine Zeta-Jones
If you are on the shorter side, it is easy to look chunky with this body shape. Do your best to keep your weight in check. Always wear high heels to flatter those slim pins and add height.
What Body Shape Are You?
Questions & Answers
Can I wear high waisted shorts with an inverted triangle body shape?
Generally, high waisted trousers can be worn well by people with this shape. As for shorts, it depends really on how tall you are. The best thing would be to try before you buy.Helpful 1