Susan Bailey is an advocate for body positivity and sees the light in all shapes.
Are You an Inverted Triangle?
If you are, then your shoulders will be wider than your hips and you won’t have much in the way of a waist. Sounds attractive, right?
Actually, a well-toned inverted triangular-shaped body is considered to be one of the more coveted body shapes. Many models and athletes have this shape, so you’re in great company if you do too.
What Problems Can Someone With This Body Shape Encounter?
If clothes are not chosen wisely, you could end up looking very top heavy and boxy, especially if you are carrying some extra weight.
Dos and Don’ts for People With Inverted Triangle Body Shape
The main aim is to minimise attention to the chest and shoulders and draw attention to the slim legs and small hips. Below are 17 tips to help you look great in your clothes.
- Wear dark colours on your top half and lighter colours on the bottom. Because dark colours minimise and light colours make things look larger, a sense of balance and proportion will be achieved with this color combination.
- Keep tops plain, un-patterned, and without adornments. This will draw attention away from the larger top half.
- Tops with dropped shoulders help to minimise the appearance of wide and large shoulders.
- If wearing sleeveless tops, don’t go for spaghetti straps, as they will only emphasise the broadness of your shoulders. Thicker straps or a halter neck will minimise shoulder width.
- If you are fortunate enough to have slim arms, accentuate them with sleeveless tops. But bear in mind the strap advice given above.
- A V-neckline will draw the eye away from the shoulders and towards the bust line. However, beware of plunging necklines if you have a larger bust. Also keep away from boat-necks.
- Cropped tops and jackets are another no-no.
- Do not wear tight, clinging Lycra-type tops, as these will draw attention to a thick waist and a large top half. Instead, opt for soft knitwear or jersey material, which fit snugly but skim over the bits you don’t wish to accentuate.
- Wear tops that go just past the hip. This will hide the waist and divert attention away your slim legs.
- Wear trousers or skirts that are fuller or have a flare to add width to hips and legs.
- Never wear great big earrings or necklace. They will draw attention to your shoulders. Instead, keep all large jewelry to your lower half. Large, chunky bangles and bracelets will draw eyes to your slim hips. You could carry a large clutch bag, too.
- Don’t wear anything with a high neck; it will not flatter your shape and you will end up with the dreaded boxy look.
- Steer clear of floaty tops or anything remotely billowing, as you will give the illusion of being all-around big.
- Shoulder pads or puff sleeves are big fashion mistakes for someone an inverted triangle shape.
- Wraps and crossover tops are generally flattering for this body shape.
- To balance the shoulders and hips, go for patterned bottoms, tulip-shaped skirts, and wide-leg pants.
- Create more oomph for your non-existent waist with a decorative belt.
Famous Inverted Triangle Body Shapes
I mentioned at the beginning that you were in good company, didn’t I? Here are 10 famous people with the same body shape as you:
- Cindy Crawford
- Renee Zellweger
- Teri Hatcher
- Naomi Campbell
- Demi Moore
- Lucy Liu
- Kelly Clarkson
- Dolly Parton
- Pamela Anderson
- Catherine Zeta-Jones
Questions & Answers
Question: Can I wear high waisted shorts with an inverted triangle body shape?
Answer: Generally, high waisted trousers can be worn well by people with this shape. As for shorts, it depends really on how tall you are. The best thing would be to try before you buy.
Mariambanoteh from Palestine on July 09, 2020:
Idk why everyone is upset, this is the best advice I've read so far. Unlike all the other websites that only consider underweight women.
Thank you so much for this amazing article, gob bless
stupid on May 05, 2020:
Honestly i have an insecurity with my body type... i come here to look out for tips to make my body look better just to see that you’re giving me tips on how to hide my features. This is beyond cruel and disgusting.
Em Hatter on March 13, 2020:
yo I know her comment is from seven months ago and this post is even older but I made an account just to tell this chick to stfu. I don't understand stupid ass people like this like just SHUT UP please. none of it was demeaning or toxic she was literally just giving tips on how to make the body type look BETTER
helen liseli on December 24, 2019:
high how can style mom jeans for this body type
Kristine on December 04, 2019:
Thank you for the info not demeaning at all. ALWAYS HELPFUL. KEEP SHARING
Em on August 15, 2019:
This is terrible, demeaning advice. First you praise the body type, then you provide a list of how to hide all of its key features. Completely ridiculous. A person with this shape can’t wear earrings and jackets? Whoever wrote this is cruel and should stop writing. This advice is horribly toxic...
Mora on October 30, 2017:
I have the inverted triangle shape.thanks for the tips
Susan Bailey (author) from South Yorkshire, UK on May 11, 2013:
Thanks for reading
Linda Crampton from British Columbia, Canada on May 10, 2013:
Thanks for the useful information, Sue. I don't have this body shape, but it was interesting to read your clothing tips!