I've been an online writer for over eight years. I love helping people feel more comfortable in their own skin!
Any woman knows that going braless is not as easy as just not wearing a bra. From embarrassing moments to faux pas to uninvited stares to perky moments, there can be many unwanted outcomes of not wearing a bra. Let's look at some of the things that you should remember if you are going to go out without wearing a bra.
Wear Nipple Tape or Nipple Covers
Regardless of your nipple size and shape, it is a good idea to buy and use nipple tape, also known as nipple covers. Prominent and visible nipples may draw unwanted attention at the wrong time. These covers will be god sent should you decide to go braless and you venture into a retail shop where the air conditioner is at full blast.
There are different types of nipple tapes available, including pasties and other fun colorful tapes that you can use to cover your nipples. Reusable silicone nipple covers, also known as nipple skin, make for a no-nonsense solution to a perky problem, pun intended. You can wear these under virtually any type of clothing including t-shirts, dresses and even on special occasions without having to worry about showing prominent nipples in photographs. There are generally two types of nipple skins available, an adhesive version and a non-adhesive version. Both work differently and you can choose whichever you feel most comfortable and secure wearing.
Tips for Picking the Right T-Shirt While Going Braless
- Avoid tops and t-shirts that may be sheer if exposed under direct sunlight.
- Avoid tops that are too tight and fabrics that cling to the skin. If you wish, you can wear a vest under your top.
- T-shirts and tops that are a little loose will look stylish over a pair of denims.
- Wear solid and dark colors if there are any chances of rain.
- If you want a more suave look while going braless, you could pair a nice shirt with the top two buttons unbuttoned along with a denim and heels.
Maxi Dresses and Sundresses Are a Stylish Pick for That Summery Look
Maxi dresses or sundresses are the most stylish pick if you want to pull off a flawless look while going braless. They look simply beautiful on a warm summer day. You can pair either your sundress or your maxi dress with large sunglasses, keep your hair untied and wear thongs/slippers to get the complete and carefree summer look. Even jumpsuits and rompers will look uber hot and feel uber comfortable!
Going Braless in Winter: No Worries If You've Got More Layers
Of all the seasons, winter is probably your most comfortable pick. It's a no brainer because you are likely to be wearing multiple layers of clothing, including a sweater or a jacket. So if you have not fancied the idea of going braless before, you may want to break yourself in by trying it out in winter and getting rid of any inhibition that you may have.
Don't Slouch or Push Your Bust Out: Carry a Balanced Posture
Of all the times, this is when you really need to maintain an active command over your posture because you won't have the support of your bra. Maintain a well balanced posture, which means staying away from the two extremes—slouching and pushing your bust out too much. Either of the extremes will look weird. So unless you are a model posing for the cameras, avoid embarrassment and carry a stable and womanly posture.
Apply Moisturizer or a Lotion Below and on the Sides of Your Bust
Does dry skin in winter make you feel itchy? If it does, then you may want to apply moisturizer or a body lotion on the sides of and below your bust. There will be constant rubbing of fabric against your bare skin which you may not be used to on a daily basis. A moisturizer will save you from nasty itches, irritation and scarring skin spots when you go braless.
Keep a Jacket or a Cardigan With You
In a perfect world, you could team the most stylish top with a great pair of denims and venture out braless like a style diva. Only in a perfect world! Picture perfect situations like these happen only in photo shoots and movies. In the real world, you are prone to many mishaps and possible embarrassing moments in case of rain, wind, unwanted stares, a little bit of running around or any other faux pas that may be lurking around the corner. If you want to go braless, it is a good idea to keep a jacket or a cardigan with you just in case you feel the need to suddenly cover up.
You may not be under the constant scanner of paparazzi like the celebrities, but you still want to be most careful and alert when you step out without wearing a bra. Here are a few tips that you may want to keep in mind before going braless.
- There is a time and place for virtually everything in life. Whether you want to avoid wearing a bra while you go for a stroll on the beach in your summery sundress or not is your call. But going for a job interview without wearing one may be the biggest mistake you make in your professional life and may even send out wrong signals to the interviewer. Think about where you are going and if the situation is not the most appropriate for not wearing a bra, wear one.
- Don't be too self conscious. The classic 'looking down to see if everything is fine' is a deadly giveaway of the fact that your mental discomfort is getting the better of you.
- As bad as this sounds, be careful while bending down, turning around and other such activities that can result in unnecessary peeking unless you want to attract unwanted stares, attention or even comments.
- Don't try to imitate the style of celebrities who've been pictured braless in glossy magazines and photo shoots. Those picture perfect looks are only possible in photo shoots and in the world of being a celebrity. Real life is much different and it is best to think 'practical' in terms of dressing style if you are going to go out without wearing a bra.
Hop on December 24, 2018:
Everyone seems to be commenting as if all women have a choice. Due to a medical condition bras cause me pain. I have tried all the styles available but cannot take the crushing pain due to costochronditis, an inflammation of the rib junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the
breastbone. I am not large chested and I do not feel that bras are mandatory. I think we should start burning bras again. If more women would join then I wouldn’t have to feel self-conscious or put up with gawking stares.
dayna on October 31, 2016:
i went to school without a bra and all the boys could tell i wasn't wearing one so i need to find close that no one would be able to tell.
yaya on August 18, 2016:
when im in home i dont use bra ..feel comfortable ..
FullOfLoveSites from United States on February 20, 2013:
Yeah, only on cold nights or only going out to an emergency or with sudden urgency (where I have no more time to wear a bra) I only go bra-less. Only covered in layers of clothing. Apart from that (sorry to say) I'm quite self-conscious with what I look and wear; I wouldn't want to be caught up in an untimely and embarrassing situation.
mehranbiz on January 20, 2013:
Braless women look more perfect natural and innocent in our natural innocent curves and for going braless women need perfect healthy firm fit breasts
Alecia Murphy from Wilmington, North Carolina on March 28, 2012:
Interesting advice but I think I'm too self conscious to do so. But you're right about women needing to be careful in going braless because one wrong move and you could be trying to live down a very embarrassing moment.
Linda Bilyeu from Orlando, FL on March 28, 2012:
Lots of great tips! I'm known to say "burn the bra," but in reality no one should leave home without one. This includes some men also! Who remembers the man-bra from Seinfeld! Haha! Excellent hub!!
inaniLoquence from Singapore on March 26, 2012:
I do have a silicon nipple bra but I only use it rarely. That is, if I don't have any choice. There are definitely scary moments when it decided by itself to unstick from my skin. :) Thanks for following me, by the way. :)
Alastar Packer from North Carolina on March 23, 2012:
No man boobs here but this was interesting nonetheless. Know just the lady friend who will want to read this too. Good choice with the Miley photos, she needs to keep the bra on though.