How to Make a Homemade Renaissance Outfit On a Budget
Renaissance Fashion for Under $10
Creating a Renaissance Outfit on a Budget
Long before we were married my husband and I attended a renaissance fair on a date. Over a decade later, we decided to attend the festival again, only this time with our two children. Our kids had gone to Disney World a few months prior to the fair and actually told us that the Renaissance Fair was better than Disney World! So, we have made going to the Pennsylvania Renaissance Fair a yearly outing for our family.
The fair can be a little pricey for a family on a tight budget, so you may not have the money to buy detailed renaissance outfits. It is very easy to make your own outfits. The first year that we took our children we bought our children used Halloween type costumes online and they wore the costumes to the fair and again for trick or treating that year. The second year we frequented the Goodwill store all year looking for clothing that could be used for a good outfit to wear to our new favorite festival. We have continued to search out clothing at yard sales every summer to make new and unique costumes every year.
They also sell outfits and accessories at the festival. My son bought a wooden sword at the faire one year and then took it as an accessory the other years. We help our children save money for several months before the fair so that they can buy the more authentic items that they might want. Even if you don't buy any clothing or accessory items at the faire, be sure to still browse the merchants to get ideas. Last year, it rained the day we went to the fair and my daughter really liked some of the capes that people were wearing. When we looked at the capes the merchants had for sale they were very expensive and my daughter decided that she could make a cape at home from felt. So she made notes of what she liked about the capes that the merchants had and when she got home, she had a year to work on making herself a cape for a more reasonable price. She also found a really nice large pin at a yard sale that she could use for her cape closure.
Homemade Renaissance Outfits
Scottish Themed Outfit for Under $50
Women's Renaissance Fashion
When looking at yard sales and secondhand stores for women's Renaissance fashion items, here are some things to search for:
- clothing that is dark or neutral in color (greens, browns, tans, and white)
- shirts that can be layered
- plain brown or black boots that have a worn in look
- long skirts
- ribbons that can be braided into your hair
Some people choose to dress like a pirate when attending a Renaissance Faire. Here are items to look for if you are going to dress like a female pirate:
- old costume jewelry with large stones and dangling bracelets
- shirts with puffy-type sleeves
- large belt
- shorter plaid skirt
- high boots, ones that fold over at the top are perfect
Men's Renaissance Fashion
To be honest most people are looking at the women at the Renaissance Faire since most women have quite a bit of Renaissance cleavage going on, but men should still make an attempt to dress for the festival as well. Here are items to look for:
- loose dark pants that can be frayed or ripped at the bottom
- large belts
- kilt (depending on the theme for the weekend you are attending)
- over-sized white dress shirt
- black or brown boots
Outfits for Children
Children's Renaissance Fashion
The easiest way to get Renaissance clothing for your children is to go to stores right after Halloween and buy a princess, pirate, or knight costume and accessories on clearance. Or go to the thrift stores around Halloween and you might find some there. I suggest buying the costume one size larger than your child needs so that you can put play clothes under the costume. The festival lasts all day and many times the kids can get uncomfortable and everyone will have a much more pleasant experience if you can easily take the costume off. See the picture where my son is doing the rope climb to ring the bell; by that time of the day he was in jeans but still had his sword to carry around. He felt comfortable but still felt like part of the festival. Here are some other accessories to look for:
- velvet dresses
- over-sized dress shirts
- rope or ribbon belts
- pants or skirts that can easily be frayed or torn
How to Prepare for the Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
If you want to keep your family on a budget at the festival, follow these tips:
- Make sure you have play clothes on under the costumes and you have extra clothes in the car in case it rains or gets cold.
- Take a bag with you that has an umbrella, wet wipes or hand sanitizer, tissues, small bag of snacks. Make sure the bag you take has extra room to carry the items you buy.
- If you have a daughter consider braiding her hair the night before and adding ribbons. It will give you more time in the morning to do your hair in a braid or twist.
- Give your child a budget and discuss it before you attend the festival. Also, tell your child that you will not purchase anything until after a certain time in the day, that way they can see everything the festival has to offer.
- Consider keeping a cooler of water bottles and snacks in your car and go to your car in the afternoon for a snack. Doing this will help defray the cost of food for the day and give you a chance to grab sweatshirts if needed for the rest of the day. You may also want to have a blanket to take back for sitting on while watching the joust.
Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire
Pennsylvania Renaissance Faire is held at The Mount Hope Winery
Renaissance Fair Activities
Which of these activities is your favorite?
Fun Activities For Kids to do at a Renaissance Faire
- Rope climbing
- Throwing knives
- Shooting arrows
- Tossing frogs
- Going through the maze
- Petting a baby dragon
- Potato race
- Watching the human chess match
- Watching the live joust
Sword Fighting with Your Friends
More Information About the Reniassance
- Renaissance Clothing, Renaissance Costumes, and Medieval Costumes
Information about the Renaissance and medieval period, with medieval and Renaissance costume ideas. Photos from Renaissance Faire included!
- How to Talk at a Renaissance Faire
Learn some phrases and words to use at a renaissance festival.
- Things You May Not Know About Renaissance Clothing
A quick look into the history of Renaissance Clothing in the Medieval age including the meaning of men and women's styles and the lasting effects on the fashion world today.