How to Dress for Your Body Type
When you are standing in front of a mirror, remember: Nobody has a perfect body. That's right, nobody! I have never met a person who did not have something about their body that they didn't like. The trick to looking good in your clothes is as simple as finding out what body type you are and dressing accordingly. With most of us it only requires a few wardrobe adjustments.
Some people really know how to wear clothes. You know what I mean. The look that makes people think, "Boy, she sure is looking good." These people know what their shape is and know how to accentuate the positives. The body types I will be covering are:
- Inverted Triangle
What Is My Body Type?
Typically known as "top-heavy." This person has large breasts, a big stomach, is short waisted, and has long, skinny legs.
This person has a long slender neck, narrow shoulders, a small bust, a slim waist with hips that widen dramatically, a larger rear end, and full thighs. The waistline of this body type is small and feminine; it should be accentuated.
This type has narrow shoulders, a small bustline, broad hips, and larger thighs. This type is lucky in that they get to wear the new-style tops that accentuate their face and shoulders.
This is just what it sounds like: The bustline and hips are equal in size. This person has an average-size bust, a large rib cage, an undefined waist, a flat bottom, and slender legs. The legs are this type's best asset.
Some people say this body type is as close to perfect as you can get. The person with this body type typically has a small bone structure. They have a nice-sized bust, a defined waist, curved hips, and a shapely and slightly-protruding backside. This body type has great curves that scream to be shown off.
This person has a larger bust, a wide rib cage, a round, full backside, a larger middle or waist, narrower hips, and slender legs. The good news is the round body type usually has great legs and narrow hips that can be shown off to their advantage.
Inverted Triangle Shape
This type typically has broad shoulders, an average-size bustline and waist, narrow hips, and long, shapely legs. This body type can show off hip huggers to their advantage.
The Best Styles for Your Body Shape
- Tops with ruffles
- Spaghetti straps
- High necklines
- Anything high-waisted
- Boxy blazers
- Wide v-necks
- Gathers under the breast to direct eyes to waist
- Skirts fitted at top with flaring hemlines
- Bell-bottom or flared pants
- A medium- to high-heel shoe
- Single-breasted, fitted blazer
- Tapered pants or super-slim jeans
- Clingy or pencil skirts
- Side pockets on pants
- Pleated anything
- Shoes with ankle straps
- Pants with flowing, not clingy fabric
- Straight skirts tapered towards the hemline
- Semi-fitted and tailored tops
- Shoulder pads
- Blouses and tops that are cut shorter or longer (below hip line)
- Cowl or square necklines
- Pants that are bottom-heavy or have cuffs or designs at the bottom
- Clingy skirts or pants
- Straight, buttoned dresses that hug the hips
- Empire waist dresses or tops
- Pants that are tapered towards the hemline
- Jackets that flow loosely around the hips
- Tops that are fitted but also flare out over hips
- Tops with pockets
- Boatneck collars
- Puffed sleeves
- Large-patterned fabrics
- The braless look
- String bikinis
- Belts that draw attention to your waist
- Anything gathered or pleated at the waistline
- Straight, tailored skirts
- Sheaths or shirtdress-type dresses
- Skirts with a dropped waist
- A longer jacket with a shorter skirt
- Semi-fitted jeans or pants with a longer tunic tops
- Oversized or baggy styles
- Clothing that is too fitted or tight
- Lucky girl, almost anything is wearable!
- Wrap tops, belts, things that tie at the waist
- Clothing that is semi-fitted
- Lucky girl! You have a dream figure, show off your curves.
- Fitted tops that draw attention to your waistline
- Straight, oversized, or tent dresses
- Wide belts
- Bulky or gathered skirts
- Wide lapels and collars
- Narrow lapels and collars
- Longer tunics
- Fitted skirts, such as a pencil skirts
- Jackets with a single button
- Tailored, wide-cut pants
- Empire waist styles
- High necklines
- Shoulder pads
- High-waisted tops or dresses
- Spaghetti straps
- Halter tops
- Hip-hugging jeans
- Raglan or dolman sleeves
- Flared skirts
- Wider-leg pants
- Patch pockets on tops
- Belts hanging lower on the hips
What is your body shape?
What body type are you?
Questions & Answers
What style of dress and tops are best for straight shape?
There are a couple of styles that look good on a straight body type. One of them is the sheath or shirt style type dress. Another suggestion would be to wear a skirt with a drop waist with a jacket that is longer in length.Helpful 44
Can I wear skinny jeans as a person with an inverted triangle body type?
A pair of skinny jeans on a person with an inverted triangle body type is not a good idea. A person of that body type needs to wear a pair of jeans that will balance their smaller bottom half with a bigger top half. They should look for hip hugger jeans, a bootcut or flared jeans, or a boyfriend or girlfriend type jean (good because they are a looser jean).Helpful 30