How to Layer Clothes and Winter Fashion Trends
I live in Wisconsin, the heart of the harsh winter. One year we had a day so cold if you went outside you would literally die! So layering is more than fashion when you live in a state where the wind hurts.
When I was working at the mall a teen girl came in complaining about how she hated layering with clothes. The reasoning was the normal for a teen girl. Lots of layers makes you look bigger and in her eyes it made her feel old. And I understand it. I too can remember the days of feeling like Ralphie's little brother, trapped within a wintery death trap of clothing.
But layers don't have to be ugly, heavy, and old. I've put together some of my favorite winter trends, and ways to layer without reenacting A Christmas Story. While these aren't the only winter fashion statements you can make but these are a few of my favorite ones and my season fashion staples.
Mom I Can't Move My Arms!
Put a Hat on It
Keep Those Ears Warm
I love the idea of hats. However for some reason I can never hat right. I love the beanies, and I love winter knit head bands. Normally when I see this look I really think of an edgy, rocker feel.
I love the look of the slouchy hat. I find that guy wear this look so much better than me. I think personally it's a sweet innocent look. Slouchy hat, loose waves. Its a forerunner for my favorite winter look.
Sadly I am unable to pull off the slouchy hat look. I can never great the right look. The look is best served with the hat just sitting at the crown of your head and just over or just above your ears. Personally I need warm ears so I'm always pulling the hat over.
- Play off your slouchy hat look with soft waves.
- If you're rocking a messy bun you can always try a knitted earmuff/ headband
- Be laid back with a fun fluffy braid peeking out from under the hat
- Have a pixie cut, mess up your pixie cut and let bit of your hair stick out, add a youthful look to your outfit.
- Tuck all your hair up into the hat on those bad hair days.
Create Warmth With Your Scarf
Scarves are great for build a layer with over being overly heavy. Scarves and be wore with a variety of different outfits and styles.
- You can go sexy and causal with a plain racer back tank, over sized scarf and a distressed pair of denim skinny jeans.
- Get ready for date night, and pair and knitted scarf with a military jacket and long sleeve dress.
- Unleash your inner Rocker Chic with a leather coat, black denim jeans and a over sized scarf with fringe
- Scarves are a lot wonderful for staying warm without a ton of extra layers. A big scarf and a nice sweater can keep you nice and cozy.
- In the final debate of infinity vs traditional scarf, my personal choice is infinity, because I'm awful with regular scarfs
Big Sweaters and Leggings
Big Fluffy Sweaters
I love big fluffy sweaters, they're great. They're happy, they're romantic, they scream comfort and style. I love the most of all with a nice pair of fleece leggings..
- Play it sexy with an off the shoulder look with a little peek a boo strap (such as a racer back tank top)
- They go great with both skinny jeans and leggings
- Add a belt to create form around your body
Dresses, Dresses and More Dresses
Long Sleeve Dresses and Knit Tights
I think my love for long sleeve dresses and knit tights comes from my love of anime. Its a sweet and fun romantic look. I love anything that's above the knee, its a fun and flirty look. Being 4'8 its harder to find those above the knee dresses. The struggle is real.
- Wear with dark shear tights on warmer winter days or wear with knitted tights for colder winter days.
- Pair with a nice warm cardigan or sweater for around the house or for light shopping
- Add a romantic touch with a dress and a pea coat
- Don't forget to layer, and don't be scared, add leggings or boot sock with your tights.
- Wear with short or long boots
Keep it Cozy With your Legs
Add demension With Boots Socks and Leg Warmers
Nothing is sweeter than a soft pair of leg warms and snuggling up with your cup of coffee on your couch in the middle of winter. I love the fact that boot socks and leg warmers and around. My personal favorite winter look is a pair of short boots and a pair of leg warmer push down and fluffed up right above the boot cuff.
Here's some great ways to leg warmers and boot socks!
- Leg Warmers are great for family events in winter, they make great slippers while you're not wearing shoes.
- Leg Warmers go great with almost anything. Denim Jeans, knitted tights and leggings.
- Add them to a dress to make your outfit a little more causal.
- Add length to your high heels with a pair of leg warmers
- They go great with any shoe, enjoy them pulled up and peeking out of the top of your boot or pushed down at the top of your short boot.
Where Can You Get It?
Over Size Hat
Rue 21, Vanity, Walmart, Aeropostel
Leg Warmers/Boot Socks
Vanity, Rue 21, Aeropostel, Wet Seal, Forever 21
$3.99 - $12.99
Over Sized Scarf
Vanity, Rue 21
$12.99 - $16.99
Long Sleeve Dressed
TJ Maxx, Forever 21
$20.99 - $24.99
Thrift Store: Plato's Closet
You Gotta Tell Me!
What is your favorite winter fashion trend?
On a Final Note
I think a lot of blogs that are about fashion, makeup, fitness or everything anything along those lines we falls into a battle of the sides. Woman don't wear makeup, go ahead wear makeup. You're too fat, you're too skinny.
Nowhere in anything that I write that is about fashion or advice would I ever tell a woman or man who they should or should not look. I meerly want to suggests way to wear things and how I like to wear stuff.
Dress and be whoever you want to be. Mix patterns, wear crazy colors, wear a blazer, wear whatever. If you do not feel safe, sound and happy in your outfit then don't wear it. I want people to always feel good about who they are.
I hope you really enjoyed reading this. I also hope that you really got into what I was showing. I hope you continue to read my hubs and I hope you can check out my Youtube page sometime too. I also have great videos over on Youtube, if you're not into reading.
Please feel free to leave me a comment, I'd love to know what you think, or if you have any suggestions, also please toss in your vote with my polls, it would be really helpful, I base my next Hubs and Youtube videos! And once again if you like what you see give me a fallow!