Plus Size Wedding Dresses to Make You Look Like a Queen
Here are some tips on how to choose the best wedding dress for your shape, places where you can buy them or order them made-to-measure, and lots of photos to bring inspiration for your dream dress.
Be the bride everyone will remember for her beauty.
It is every woman’s dream to look her best on her wedding day. Most women spend months looking for the perfect wedding gown but if you wear over a size 14, or are curvy or overweight, the task of looking for the gown can easily become a nightmare.
You look at wedding magazines and in bridal shops and all you see are slim models. What about some “real shape” brides?
Surely not everyone fits into a size 12 or under dress, and surely not all brides feel like starving themselves before their big day. So what to do? Where to look?
Tips for Finding the Right Dress
- Start your search as early as possible.
The more time you have to look for your dress, the less stressed you will be.
- Instead of checking on wedding magazines, check professional photographer’s portfolios.
They do have photos of real brides of all shapes with all types of dresses so you can have a better idea of what would suit your shape.
- Do not buy a dress in the hope that you will lose weight.
That will only stress you out and ruin the fun of preparing for your wedding day.
- Try your wedding dress with the underwear that you are going to wear on the day.
A made-to-measure corset can make a dramatic difference to your shape. Having said that, do not try anything too drastic.
If you are not used to wearing a corset, then shrinking your waist two inches is acceptable but squeezing yourself to make your waist six inches smaller can end up with you bruising or even fainting during the wedding ceremony.
- Make sure you are comfortable in your dress.
When you try it on, don’t just stand and look in the mirror, but also sit down in it to check that it is comfortable and does not bulge in an unsightly way. Can you move properly? Can you dance with your dress? Does it look nice from the back?
- Try something different.
Informal wedding dresses look wonderful on plus-size women. They are simpler in style, fabric and detail than traditional gowns.
They are perfect for garden and beach weddings, although they can also be worn for more formal ceremonies as well.
- Don't be afraid to break the wedding colour rules.
You might want to consider wearing a less harsh-coloured wedding dress. An all-white dress in a full-figured woman is not always flattering.
You might want to consider a combination of colours like the Scottish tartan wedding dresses, or “medieval combinations." If you prefer a more traditional look, you can always try shades of cream and ivory instead of a stark white.
Best Places to Buy
1. Best Bridal Prices
Best Bridal Prices offers the most complete size range (1-Petite to 54W, plus custom-made) at the best prices.
They also offer professional advice to plus-size brides. Just have a look at their plus-size wedding gowns, I am sure that you will find what you are looking for!
2. Alfred Angelo
One of the most recognized bridal names in the America, Alfred Angelo is the oldest and largest family-owned bridal company in America. They can offer bridal gowns in sizes 16W to 26W USA; 30 to 56 European; 34 to 58 French; and 6 to 30 UK.
Their dresses follow the latest fashion trends, fabrics and embellishments to create unique collections.
At curvety.com, dresses are custom-made to your measurements, ensuring the perfect fit.
Made-to-measure means you can have your perfect dress whatever your clothes size and with the perfect fit comes perfect accentuation of your glorious curves.
How to Deal With Problem Areas
Be honest with yourself, and embrace your body shape rather than hiding it. Know your best areas and work around them.
Here are some ways to enhance your best features and distract from others.
1. Chubby Arms
If you have thick, chubby arms, or if you have lost lots of weight and your arms are saggy, it is preferable to choose a dress with sleeves.
There are plenty of lovely long-sleeved wedding gowns that will help disguise thick arms. Loose sleeves made in flowing transparent material would be perfect.
- If you don’t want to wear long sleeves or if you are getting married in the height of summer and want to wear a sleeveless dress, the best option is to wear a cover up over your arms.
- You can still wear even a strapless dress if you team it up with a lace shawl. It will look classy and will disguise your problem area without making you too hot.
- A 3/4 sleeve lace bolero can also be a good cover up for saggy arms. Just make sure that the sleeves are not tight and the bolero does not have extra decorations such as sequins, embroidered pearls, plumes, or stones. A simple-cut bolero is better to draw attention away from your arms.
- Avoid spaghetti straps. A strapless dress or a thick-strapped dress is much better to disguise thick arms.
- Avoid very large pouf sleeves extending from shoulder to elbow.
- Avoid very short-fitted sleeves that just cover the shoulders.
2. A Big Bust
- If you are heavy at the bust, a plunging neckline will ease your silhouette.
- Wedding gowns that are simple, without a lot of frills, decorations and extra fluff, on the top area, are often good choices.
- Make sure you have the support you need under your wedding gown by wearing the right undergarments.
- Avoid shiny fabrics on the top of your dress.
- Empire-style dresses are perfect to disguise a bulging tummy. The waist just skims over your tummy area and the slim skirt elongates your silhouette.
- A-line dresses are also very flattering if you do not have a small waist.
- Avoid dresses that are too tight or figure hugging.
- If you are heavy at the hips but with a small waist, a full skirt might disguise your hips and enhance your small waist.
- If you have a slim top, you can benefit from wearing a princess-style dress. Enhance your top and disguise your heavy bottom part with a full skirt.
- Mermaid style dresses can also work for your shape if you are curvy as in an “hourglass shape” and not too heavy on the hips.
- If you are under 1.60m. and overweight you might want to consider wearing a short dress. You can choose different lengths to flatter your size, anything from under the knee to a ballerina ankle length dress.
- Wearing a short wedding dress does not mean that you cannot wear a long train to elongate your silhouette.
Couture: Bara Luxe
The Bara Luxe collection offers full figure and plus size couture bridal gowns and dresses, elegant, romantic, glamorous and sophisticated.
It is a couture bridal collection designed for the consumer who is size 16 and up. They offer the freedom to walk into a bridal boutique and try on the dress of your dreams that has been specifically made to complement your style.
Their wedding dresses are sophisticated, sexy and affordable.
Petite and Plus Size Runway Show
And you, what size are you?
What size are you?See results without voting
© 2009 Wendy Iturrizaga
More by this Author
The most important thing when choosing swimwear is to feel comfortable in it and to look fab, not fat. Yes, you want to stop worrying about your shape while you are at the beach or swimming pool.
Make a dramatic impression with these jeans that fit. Whether it is skinny, super chic, minimalistic or very ornate, here are some tips to find plus size jeans that fit and flatter your figure.