9 Ways to Instantly Make Your Butt Look Better
We can't all have the sculpted curves of Heidi Klum and Jennifer Lopez. But if you need a derriere worthy of Pippa Middleton in a matter of days, you'll need more than just an intense squat and lunge regimen to save you.
Here are nine easy tips to give your butt an instant boost!
How to Make Your Butt Look Better
- Pick the Right Pair of Pants
- Choose the Correct Waist Size
- Have the Right Pockets
- Choose the Right Wash of Jeans
- Avoid Shiny Fabrics
- Wear Heels
- Take the Stairs
- Avoid Leggings
- Wear Spanx
1. Pick the Right Pair of Pants
This is the most important tip for making your butt look good. Choosing the right fit is something that has haunted women for decades, but there is no end to the miracles it can work for your backside.
- If you want to accentuate your behind, choose pants with narrower legs. [Note: Narrow does not mean skin-tight all the way down.]
- If you want to make your butt appear smaller, opt for a pair of pants with a slight flare to balance out your shape and draw attention away from your hindquarters.
- Most importantly, choose pants that fit comfortably. Don't get pants that you can't breathe in and don't get pants that sag in weird places. Also, don't get pants that hit right above your ankles just because they make your butt look good. The key to looking good is feeling good—and you won't feel good if your pants don't fit properly!
2. Choose the Correct Waist Size
The rise of your jeans is more important than you think. Today, most people favor the low-rise option. Unfortunately, low-rise jeans don't always favor us back.
Instead, opt for a waistband that reaches your belly button. This style is especially flattering on those of us who have body shapes that are similar to Kim Kardashian's. It makes your derriere look round, but not wide. It's also important to accept the fact that you have more to cover, so naturally, you're going to want something with a higher waist so it can actually cover you!
3. Pants Pockets Can Enhance Your Butt
Did you realize that the placement and size of your pockets have an enormous impact on the size and shape of your butt?
- Oversized pockets are going to make your butt look bigger, and small pockets shrink your behind.
- If you want to draw attention away from your booty, avoid choosing pockets that are embellished or oddly-shaped.
- Pockets that are placed slightly lower on your cheeks give the impression that your butt sits higher.
- Pockets placed far on the outside of each cheek can widen you and add bulk where you probably don't want it.
4. Select the Right Wash for Your Jeans
The wash and rinse of your jeans also play a crucial role in minimizing or enlarging your booty.
- Dark colors are slimming because they create shadow and they don't draw attention.
- A dark indigo will make your butt look smaller and tighter—or at least make it less-noticeable overall.
- If the goal is to keep eyes off of your booty, avoid light denim or white jeans.
5. Say No to Shiny Fabrics
Shiny fabric is a no-go.
- Avoid materials such as satin, taffeta, or silk.
- Shiny fabrics draw attention by showing imperfections and magnifying everything.
- If you don't want to show off your butt like it's a disco ball, just say no to fabric that is shiny.
6. High Heels Make Your Butt Look Good
This is a fact. When you wear high heels, you tighten up the muscles in your legs and glutes so you can balance. It's a forced butt-lift of sorts! The higher the heels, the rounder and more lifted your butt will look.
7. Take the Stairs
Obviously, doing toning exercises like lunges and squats will yield a booty that you can be proud of. But if you don't have time to work your way through weeks of booty boot camp, give yourself a quick boost by taking a few sets of stairs.
8. Avoid Leggings for a Better Looking Butt
Leggings are dangerous territory, so proceed with caution. In sunlight, thin fabrics show dimples, even on the boniest of butts.
They also look better on you in a dimly-lit bedroom than they do out in public, where they can surprise you (and everyone around you) with their transparency. Leggings will look almost transparent under fluorescent or natural light, so be careful!
If you absolutely feel the need to ride the leggings-as-pants train, make sure you give yourself a good hard look in the mirror with the brightest lights on before you walk outside.
9. Spanx It Up
In the most desperate of times, you might just want to slap on a pair of Spanx and call it a day. Spanx can smooth out even the most stubborn bumps. Skinny celebrities sport Spanx on the red carpet too. Don't overlook the value of body control garments; they keep everything from hanging out.
Of course, the most important tip is to be confident with the beautiful body you've got!
These nine tips and tricks will help you the next time you're feeling a little insecure about the junk in your trunk.
© 2014 laurathegentleman