Fashion Tips for Women Over 50
How to Dress Fabulous Over 50
Can women's fashion over fifty be fabulous? Most definitely. The fashion arena for mature women that once included muumuu dresses and ugly grandma sweaters is fortunately long gone! Today's mature woman feels, thinks, and looks younger than her age. She seeks out fashion-forward clothes that allow her to portray a confident, youthful, and vibrant image.
I say, hooray, we can finally look as young as we feel. Follow these fashion tips, and you can too!
Here's a sneak peek of what this article will cover:
- how to update your look
- store recommendations and shopping tips
- a list of classic pieces
- the benefits of sweaters and cardigans
- how to find a great pair of jeans
- how to find high-quality outerwear
- the importance of shapewear and undergarments
- why you should choose high-quality shoes
- advice on shopping for swimwear
Updating Your Look
It can be hard to branch out and wear styles of clothing, hair, or makeup that might not be familiar to you. Here are some ways to bridge the gap.
- Find a fashion buddy, maybe a friend or a daughter. Go shopping with a fashionable friend and get their opinion on what you should wear. Though you might think something is too over-the-top, they'll be able to give you real input on what looks good.
- Update your hair: If you've been wearing the same hairstyle for a few decades, it's time to change. Go through some magazines and find looks that you like. Ask your friends or hairstylists and try something new.
- Update your makeup: Don't overdo it though! Go get a makeover at a cosmetics store to try new looks and get feedback from your fashion friends.
- Revamp your closet: Go through all of your clothes. What have you been wearing and why? What haven't you been wearing and why? Looking at your current habits in detail will keep you from making similar fashion mistakes when you go shopping this time.
Stores for Mature Women
Look your best by choosing clothes that fit your lifestyle, budget, and figure. The best clothing stores that cater to mature women include:
- Lord & Taylor
- Ann Taylor
- J. Jill
- Karen Kane
- Dana Buchman
- Eddie Bauer
- White House Black Market
Don't forget to check even at places like Target, or online at Amazon or Zappos. You might be surprised at what you find.
Here are some shopping tips:
- When shopping for clothes, be unpredictable and think as young as you feel. This isn't to say you should raid your daughter's closet and borrow her mini skirt or hipster jeans. Do, however, think modern, elegant, and chic.
- It's okay to choose solid colors and bold styles. Anything works as long as you feel comfortable wearing it.
- Choose classic shapes and clothes that drape instead of clinging.
- Hemlines should not be too short, ladies. Aim for just above the knee.
- Wrap dresses are very flattering. If you find the neckline is too revealing, wear a lacy cami underneath.
- Wearing quality shapewear underneath your clothes is very important. Your bras, panties, and shapers should be brand-name and fit properly.
- Avoid pastels, floral prints, and anything with frills or decals.
- Look for inspiration on Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr.
Invest in quality clothing and tailored clothes that will flatter your figure. At 50, a great fit is everything. You should opt for quality because you will find better fabrics, better cuts, and therefore, better fits.
Yes, ladies! Great style can happen over 50, even if you're on a small budget. Your wardrobe can be smart and super stylish on every level, whether you're dressing for the office or your home office.
Classic Pieces for Your Wardrobe
Items to have in your wardrobe are:
- Classic blazer
- Tunic top
- Black dress
- Pair of great fitting jeans
Go from frumpy to fabulous with modern pieces that your grandma wouldn't have ever dared to wear!
- Bring attention to your good features when shopping for clothes. If you have bad legs, wear dark leggings and dresses or skirts that are longer.
- Heavy at the waistline? New block designs in women's wear can actually trick the eye into making you look like you have an hourglass figure!
- Women that are heavy in the thighs can opt to wear stretch jeans or dark pants with a patterned top to take attention from them.
Sweaters and Cardigans
It's fair to say that I never owned as many cardigans as I do now that I turned 50. Some women prefer layering with blazers or jackets, but I prefer a pretty sweater.
Today's styles are feminine, modern, cozy, and make a perfect addition to your wardrobe any time of year. It makes a woman feel good to complimented at any age but especially when you're over 50. This is one more reason to choose beautifully tailored clothes.
If you're looking to achieve great style and want to be comfortable at the same time, a draped cardi might just be the answer to your fashion woes. Perfect for layering, stylish cardigans can be worn over a top, blouse, or dress and can give a boost to your entire look.
Who doesn't wear jeans? It's important to have a pair that makes you feel great.
They make dressing a breeze, too. Just toss on a cute top and you're ready to go! I think you'll agree that being comfortable in your jeans is something that you demand at this age and here, you have the tummy panel that keeps you controlled but comfortable.
You'll look great in the figure-flattering cut and a dark wash that makes you look slimmer.
Features to look for in jeans:
- Tummy-slimming panel
- Elastic waist
- Dark wash
Other good brands:
- Not Your Daughter's Jeans
- 7 For All Mankind
Outerwear and Jackets
Choose luxurious, rich fabrics like buttery leather, soft fur, or cashmere and you simply can't go wrong.
Here are some good styles:
- Trench coats
- Pea jackets
- Car coats
- Leather jackets
- Jean jackets
These kinds of coats and jackets are eternally youthful in spirit. Since they're such an important part of your look, it's best to think designer brands when it comes to your jacket.
Here's what to look for in your jacket:
- Comfort—How do you feel wearing it?
- Close fit—It should be fitted but not tight. Tailored pieces make you look younger.
- Versatility—Can you dress it up and dress it down?
- Quality—What is it made of? Will it last?
- Style—Is it fashion-forward but not too trendy? You want this piece to last for years.
Shapewear: Shapers, Bras, Waist Nippers, and Panties
Unless you're a woman that spends countless hours working out in a gym, (and who does that, unless you're a rich celebrity), your best plan of attack for shaping and sculpting the old body is going to come from wearing shapewear that offers firm control.
I know you'll like shopping for shapewear online. Shop for shapers, bras, waist nippers, and panties with brand names like:
- Leading Lady
- Body Image
Shoes: Chic and Comfortable
Heels shouldn't be too high. Instead, opt for strapped sandals, wedges, or stylish flats. High-quality brand name shoes make much more sense now than those spiked shoes from hell we wore in the '70s!
Now, we demand something with a go-everywhere walkability that looks good, too.
Finding quality for mature women's shoes isn't difficult at all now thanks to online shopping.
Look for brand name shoes like:
- Nine West
- Easy Spirit
- Walking Cradles
Of course, our bikini days are over now, but there are some really high-quality one-piece swimsuits and tankinis that can make you feel attractive in a bathing suit again.
The key word to remember when shopping for a swimsuit now is quality. Don't run out to Walmart and get something that is cheaply made that any 20-year-old would look good in. Go for quality now—you have to. I mean, it isn't cute anymore when one of your straps break or the bottoms slide off when you're swimming.
Choose reputable designer brands that you like. I have a Miraclesuit swimsuit that has gotten me plenty of compliments this year. They are on the expensive side but are well worth the extra cash.
Another Good Resource
More is my favorite magazine and is the best magazine for women over 50!
Here you can learn about the season's hottest styles and great fashion finds under $100. I really like the way all the models featured in More are women that are actually over 40 (not twenty-somethings to remind you that you're not so young anymore).
The beauty care and health products featured are geared towards women my age and it has interesting articles that allow you to stay informed of the latest medical advancements affecting your generation and gender. The featured stories and memoirs are thoughtful and so inspirational.
More also contains articles on finances that are beneficial to women looking to invest, retire, or just manage personal income, too.
Find a Fashion Icon
Are there any celebrities over 50 that you feel really have a great sense of style? What do they wear? Follow them and their pattern of clothing, accessories, hair, and makeup to get ideas for yourself.
Which Over 50 Celebrity Has the Best Style?
What Do You Think?
What do you think should be in your closet when you're over 50? Maybe a favorite dress that is spectacular? What kind of jeans would you recommend? How about accessorizing? Please share.