Hey, guys! I'm Laura! I have a ton of different interests and passions and love sharing them with others! Enjoy, and thanks for reading!
Personalize Your Footwear
Flip-flops are, without question, the most popular sandal style in the world. More flip-flops are sold annually than boots, high heels, or even tennis shoes! Crazy, huh?
Rubber sandals are inexpensive and come in a wide variety of colors, but they might be a bit too boring by themselves. Designer flip-flops look great, but in most cases, these designer sandals are just too expensive!
If designer shoes are out of your budget, why not get out the craft box and decorate a pair of the cheap ones? This is a fun and inexpensive way to have some really cute and unique flip-flops that everyone will want! This is a great project for a slumber party or group get-together.
What You'll Need:
Supplies will depend on how you want to decorate your flip flops, however there are a few basic items you'll definitely want to add to your shopping list.
- 1 pair of rubber flip flops
- Hot glue gun (with glue-sticks)
- 1 yard of ribbon, cut in half
- Desired decorations
Deciding how to decorate your pair of flip flops is the funnest part! There are so many different materials and decals that will help you create your sassy sandals.
Decorate Your Flip-Flops With Ribbon
- Take one flip flop and place a small bead of hot glue at the outside base of one side of the strap. Allow it to cool for a few seconds.
- Take the other end of the ribbon and begin wrapping it around the strap of the sandal, overlapping edges of ribbon to avoid any gaps.
- Continue wrapping until you've reached the end of the other side of the strap.
- Place another bead of hot glue of the outside of this side.
- Keeping the ribbon tight, glue the end of the ribbon to the strap. If the ribbon is too long, cut the excess length before gluing.
Decorating Your Flip-Flops With Loose Rhinestones
- Decide how many rhinestones you'll use on each side of the strap.
- With a tweezers, pick up a rhinestone.
- Place a small amount of hot glue on the backside of the stone by tapping it on the glue gun.
- Position rhinestone on the outside part of the flip flop strap.
- Continue with the remaining rhinestones.
Decorating Your Flip-Flops With Bows And Flowers
- Decide where you want your bow, flower or other decoration, in the center or on the side.
- Place a good amount of hot glue in the desired position.
- Position your decoration onto glue.
- Press and hold until glue is completely cooled.
- Show off your new sandals!
Beaded Flip-Flop Demonstration
How to Decorate Your Flip-Flops With Beads
Beading flip flops is much more difficult than just gluing various decals on, but it'll look like you spent a pretty penny for these designer look-a-likes. Here's what you'll need:
- Large sowing needle
- Tough clear thread (or fishing line)
- Desired beads, enough to cover both straps
So if you're up for the challenge, check out this great video demonstration for a visual step-by-step guide to creating these sexy sandals!
Have Fun Decorating!
Whether you're making perfect pair as a gift, planning a flip flop decorating slumber party, or just creating your signature sandal, I'm positive you'll have a blast! Now it's time to start shopping! God Bless!
Machelle on March 19, 2018:
Does the hot glue hold the rhinestones to the strap or do they fall off easy?
InStyle Swim on March 18, 2014:
talfonso from Tampa Bay, FL on September 02, 2012:
I love the idea, but too bad flip-flops with good arch support are not usually glamorous like the ones in the mall or boutique. So I'll buy them and embellish them myself because I hate sacrificing comfort for style! The idea with rhinestones is my favorite!
charish on August 26, 2010:
a wonderful idea...
lilly_dens on May 27, 2010:
I've tried making this and it was fun! It brings out your creative side.
Tricia Mason from The English Midlands on May 13, 2010:
What a great idea for a girls' party!