Stripes and Plaid Together: Fashion Do or Don't?
Can You Wear Stripes With Plaid?
There has always been the grand debate for as long as I can remember of whether stripes and plaids (or any patterns for that matter) can be mixed and worn together. I am going to share my opinion on the topic.
Ever since I was little, I would always want to wear stripes and patterns together, but my best friend would yell at me, along with her mother and sisters, that it was not socially acceptable to do so. Nowadays, wearing stripes and other patterns like plaid, checkers, or flannel together is not only acceptable, but it's trending.
Why You Should Give This Look a Try
In general, mixing any patterns together is tricky, but mixing is a great way to add a ton of new variety to your daily outfits! You just have to make sure you are thoughtful with your selection or else you'll have people calling you out on your potential fashion fail. Mixing two patterns will give you a chance to make your clothing more personal and individualistic. If done correctly, the plaid and stripes can look absolutely amazing together.
I personally think that this combination has always looked good, but who am I to decide? I mean, I am not the best fashion expert out there. I use to tell my friend, "You just wait, one day it will be ok to wear stripes and plaid together!" Well, that day has finally come and this fashion statement is totally trending.
Some Rules for Pairing Stripes and Patterns
Now, don't get me wrong, I do agree that not all stripes and plaids go together. You do have to pair them thoughtfully, but you'll see that they do go together and can be worn in combination. Here are some tips for nailing this look:
- Keep whatever other colors you are wearing to a minimum because if you add too much visual "pop," you risk looking sloppy.
- You can incorporate one of the patterns into your outfit simply by just adding an accessory (like a scarf or something). This will allow you to not stand out too much!
- One piece of the clothing (whether the stripes or the plaid) should be more vibrant and loud than the other! Because let's face it . . . everyone wants to stand out just a tad.
Additional Tips for Mastering This Look
Here's how to match two very different patterns together successfully:
- Make sure the stripes and plaid are around the same size; go for big stripes with big plaid and small stripes with small plaid.
- If you decide to wear two striped items, make sure they are different in size (thick and thin).
- Bigger and bolder patterns are definitely going to make you look bigger, and horizontal patterns are going to give off a wider look. Vertical patterns are going to give off a taller, thinner appearance.
Share Your Thoughts and Styling Tips
What are your thoughts on this everlasting, brutal fashion debate? Share your opinion below! Is it truly a fashion no-no or is it now a fashion go?