Vintage Inspired Winter Bridal Gowns & Dresses
Winter weddings are the dream of many young women, for the simple reason that the pristine white of winter, the bare trees, the feeling of warm tradition, and the white snow all adds to the mystical romance and uniqueness of weddings in winter.
The winter bride somehow looks chic and classic. Maybe it’s the crisp white bridal gown, or the beautiful stole or bridal coat that’s worn over the dress, but whatever it is, there is something that makes winter weddings appear much more sophisticated and glamorous than spring or summer weddings.
Taking it a step further is the vintage themed wedding with the bride wearing a vintage inspired gown. And in order to complement the style, bridesmaids and grooms men can equally wear the appropriate apparel inspired by vintage fashion to suit the mood.
A winter-wonderland wedding may sound like one that needs a budget that’s way up there to implement, but it is not necessarily true. A winter themed event is certainly not as pricey as many seem to believe.
There is either of two concepts that may be adopted . . .
- Going fully vintage inspired
- Creating a mix of the traditional with the contemporary
For example, if the wedding event is planned to be fully inspired by the 20th century, or even earlier, asides the apparel worn by the groom, his bride, and the train, there should be a touch of vintage detailing or accessories such as décor, table glassware, centrepieces, serving dishes, cutlery, including ornate vintage inspired wedding cakes made up of just a couple tiers as is the tradition of old.
A great way to get vintage finds and save some money is by visiting estate sales, trunk sales or bazaars where the odd items and pieces appropriate for winter and weddings can be discovered.
On the other hand a mix of the old and new is one of the biggest trends right now. It is also a great way to save money, especially for those on a tight budget. For example, the bride's wedding dress may be a style of the 1950s while décor items may be modern objects.
Traditional Winter Nuptials
Classic winter wedding ideas are centred on winter wonderland fantasies with colours like:
- Powder blue
Textures and ornamentation includes:
- Layered silks
- Sequins, pearls, and intricate beading
Accessories that will give the perfect vintage look and accentuate a bridal gown includes:
- Antique-silver hair accessories
- Bold jewellery with clusters of faux gems
- Strands of large pearls and beads
- Bold cuff bracelets
- Bird cage or visor veils
- Feather and flower combs
- Large and prominent chandelier earrings for wedding dresses with bare necklines
- Long dramatic beaded gloves are good for extra glamour.
Any of these will draw attention to the bridal gown and re-enact the fashion style of the 1920’s to the 1950’s.
This wedding style is a great opportunity to use family collectibles, treasures, heirlooms, and bridal ensembles.
Items such as grandmother’s antique bridal gloves, mum's silver brooch & earring set, or an aunt’s bridal jewelry set and other timeless pieces can be used as accessories or embellishments to enhance winter bridal gowns and give the ensemble a semblance of vintage wedding style.
So What’s Trending?
- Regal Ball Gowns: These styles have been a regular favourite over the centuries and are still trending. They are also the appropriate bridal wear for that time (winter) of the year if you desire an opulent “fairy-tale wedding in winter wonderland”. Ball gown designs possess so much opulence, flamboyance; with some kind of regal feel.
- Coloured Wedding Dresses: Many believe pure white bridal gowns are the only acceptable colour. Yes, white may appear to be a classic colour, but it wasn’t always so. Centuries ago, there were wedding dresses of colour and today, the trend is fast catching on. Besides, in many regions of the world, wedding attire is quite colourful. If you don’t want to go the ‘whole hog’ . . . like wear a red or black wedding dress, you can wear a white, pearl, or champagne dress and add a dash of colour . . . the sash, lining, satin band, or the like. This has become a hot trend with bridal wear designers.
It’s been predicted that someday, these coloured bridal wears may steal the shine off white wedding gowns.
- Greek Goddess Design: if you want a style that’s not only classic, but sexy with a modern twist, you’ll love the enchanting cut of a Greek goddess-inspired dress. It can come either as a long fluid gown or as a romantic dress with overlapping layers that almost clasps your silhouette.
Victorian: Winter bridal gowns accented with gold tones are popular for winter or fall weddings. Choose darker coloured gowns in tones like champagne and dark ivory, especially in natural fabrics such as raw silk. Wear gold jewelry accessories to compliment these colours and textures. There is just something timeless about the richness of gold that adds luxury and elegance to bridal wear.
And if you want a wedding dress that looks aged( kind of antique) you can always buy a white dress and have it professionally dyed to make it look like a timeless piece, an heirloom.
Planning a wedding in winter, including ordering for your vintage inspired bridal gown, bridesmaid/flower girl dresses, etc. is best done well ahead of time. That’s the best and wise way to go.
You’ll save money when you purchase everything a few months earlier. They are much cheaper to buy before the cold season sets in.
Finally, if you are looking for something to give you inspiration or ideas of vintage inspired styles, this is best done on-line. Even if you decide not to buy a wedding dress on the net, you will still see hundreds of bridal wear that will stir your creative juices.
WINTER AND SPRING WEDDINGS HAVE THEIR OWN UNIQUE FEEL AND SETTING. WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?
© 2009 viryabo