Maina Ndung'u has been a fashion consultant and blogger since 2015. Fashion is one of her biggest interests.
How to Style a Leather Skirt
A leather skirt is one of the hardest skirts to style. Without good fashion ideas, wearing this style staple can make you look hopeless. This fashion guide will help you find the best ways to style it, whether you are going for a humble look or want to make a hot impression.
But first, you have to choose the type of leather skirt that suits your personality and the occasion to which it will be worn. This means selecting the right length and design. Some ladies may opt for midi lengths, but the majority of girls—especially those who are street fashion conscious—will definitely choose the mini. It depends on the occasion, and whether you want a professional, feminine, sexy, or tough look. For business or conservative wear, choose a skirt that is knee-length or longer. You can also wear tights or stockings underneath.
Leather Skirt Styles
Leather skirt styles include pencil, circle, and pleated. You can wear it either high-waist or low-waist. If you want a midi leather skirt, opt for it in a pencil style. Those who prefer short skirts will most likely prefer the pleated or circular ones. For the midi length, choose a material that is lightweight. You can choose one with slits to reveal some skin either at the front, back, or sides.
Contrary to popular belief, you can get a leather skirt in almost any color. But, black ones are easier to style as they go well with almost all color tops. Experiment with a variety of colors and see which one works for you.
What Tops to Wear With a Leather Skirt
To select the best tops to wear with a leather skirt, first consider the style of your outfit.
- A pencil skirt is better paired with a loose-fitting top.
- A pleated or skater style goes well with a form-fitting top.
- You might not look stylish if you wear leather or denim jackets with leather skirts or dresses. If you must wear such an outfit, check the mirror!
- You can wear almost any color top with a dark leather skirt, but colored skirts require some discretion to ensure they pair well.
- Generally, a white, cream, or ivory collared shirt will look perfect with a black leather skirt.
Tops for Each Occasion
- For evenings, parties, clubs, and street fashion, a pleated black skirt and a colorful feminine top will do.
- To look girlish, choose feminine colors, lace, embellishments, or accessorize with jewelry.
- For a tough appearance, try a dark skirt and a tight top with combat shoes.
- Should you want to appear super sexy, wear a short skirt and a long shirt or T-shirt. Also, try a sheer top, V-neck, or sleeveless blouse.
- For conservative or office wear, try to keep matters simple. Opt for a knee-length skirt or accessorize with leggings, tights, or stockings. Pair with a modest top or use a long blazer or cardigan. A blazer with just one button fastened at the waist can really pull the look together.
- During the winter and fall, layer your tops with a trench coat, cardigan, or jumper.
- In the summer, opt for brighter and more lightweight tops.
Read More From Bellatory
What Shoes to Wear With a Leather Skirt
The types of shoes you wear will be determined by the event you plan to attend. Matching the color of your footwear and the skirt is not required. Note that if you must wear knee-length leather boots, be sure that the style suits you.
- For casual outings, wear simple shoes like flats or sports shoes.
- For more feminine fashion, choose decorative sandals or other heeled shoes. These are also cute for summer.
- Sneakers are great for a night out.
- For a conservative look or for office/business meetings, avoid platform shoes. Just put on a pair of classic pumps, ankle boots, or pointed-toe flats.
- Plus-size women and petites will look amazing in nude shoes.
- Wearing all black from head to toe exhibits a tough appearance. If you go for this look but want to break up the monotony, you can accentuate with a handbag, a V-neck with a camisole in another color, a necklace, or a scarf. You can also wear a blazer and then wear a shirt with sleeves that are longer than the blazer's sleeves.
- In winter and fall, choose warm footwear like lined boots, and wear them with thick socks.
What to Wear With a Leather Pencil Skirt
A leather pencil skirt is ideal for plus-size ladies, office wear, and conservative women who like modest but stylish clothes. These kinds of skirts are better paired with a top that is not so fitting, so as to provide contrast. The correct length and size can flatter any figure.
- For work, leather pencil skirts are best worn knee-length or longer. You can pair it with any top that is not revealing, such as a buttoned blouse or lace top.
- A midi pencil style goes well with tops that are left untucked. If you like, you can also layer with a blazer or wool jacket. If this is the case, then you can tuck in the blouse.
- Shoes will, again, depend on the occasion. You may try heels or ankle/knee-length boots.
- If you are going to a party or a night-out dance, follow the dress code. For additional comfort, use a stretch leather skirt.
What to Wear With a Leather Skirt on a Night Out
Wearing a leather skirt for a night out can be stylish and sexy. Although knee-length or shorter would be perfect for the occasion, any style and length will do. Even a mid-calf pencil style can be sexy if it has a simple slit. It is not as complicated dressing for a night out occasion.
- Tops that work for this look include crop tops, sleeveless, spaghetti camisoles, and scoop-neck tees.
- If you prefer a more layered style, you can go with a sweater, blazer, or jacket.
- For a sexier look, opt for a brief top and a low-waist skirt, or a nude-toned top tucked in. You can also wear full-sleeve or collard shirts with a knee-length skirt.
- Floral tops look good for dancing.
What you wear underneath your skirt is bent on the style and length of your gown, and where you are going out.
- You might want to wear leggings, tights, or stockings. These can be fishnet, embellished, or nude varieties.
- Some ladies opt for toned leather pants under a mini leather skirt.
- For shoes, choose knee-high boots, peep-toe stilettos, or sexy heels.
- Use a belt over the skirt or top to balance out the outfit.
Can You Wear a Black Leather Skirt in Summer?
Wearing a black leather skirt in summer is possible, depending on the activities you are going to be involved in, how hot the weather is, and the time of day. If you are visiting a windy area or horse or bike riding, it will be okay. Should you find that the skirt is bound to be uncomfortable, avoid wearing it. Don't dress to impress only to suffer discomfort in silence. Also, avoid wearing leather when the weather is hot.
Style and Material
- For a better experience, choose a lightweight, high-waisted skirt with a silk or cotton lining. If it is not lined, you may consider wearing a cotton underskirt to keep you cooler.
- A faux leather material is perfect because it is breathable.
- A skater or circle skirt will allow for more ventilation.
- A pencil skirt may cling and could make you extra hot, so a flowy style is more preferable in the summer.
- Go for light materials, bright colors, and styles that are not too dressy. Turtle or full-neck tops are not appropriate.
- Think V-neck, low-cut, or sheer crop tops.
- A print shirt or combo top in brilliant colors will keep off the heat.
- A white T-shirt may be the ideal top to pair with your skirt.
- Avoid tucking in your top and steer clear of dark-colored ones.
- In short, what you wear should be loose, light, and bright.
- Always remember that leather skirts go better with silver jewelry than with gold.
- If you want to wear all leather from head to toe, accessorize with masculine footwear, a big bag, neutral makeup, and a simple hairstyle.
- Choose the right texture of leather skirts and dresses.
© 2014 Maina Ndungu
BHatva on March 30, 2018:
I have a brown leathr skirt which top will go best with it
Maina Ndungu (author) from Thika, Kenya on January 29, 2015:
I'd urge you to start by selecting an outfit that is light-weight. The faux leather varieties are great for people who've never worn leather before. Otherwise, real leather may be too bulky for you.
Neha on July 21, 2014:
Awesome hub and great skirts to wear. Really love them all and want to try them out for my next outing.