How to Identify a Fake Michael Kors Handbags
Is Your Michael Kors Handbag Fake?
It's hard to resist a gorgeous Michael Kors handbag—especially one that's on sale. But sometimes, those sales are too good to be true. You don't want to get duped into buying a fake. And fake MK bags are everywhere. It's not surprising: MK is currently one of the hottest fashion and accessory designers in the industry. Authentic Michael Kors handbags are made of high-quality materials and are decorated with a wide range of trimmings such as buckles, handles, chains, braided handles, tassels, push locks, and, of course, his signature "MK" logo. You definitely want to look for these unique quality details when hunting for your desired Michael Kors bag.
Here we'll discuss four critical areas when authenticating designer handbags: price, materials, craftsmanship, and retailers.
Tips to Spot a Fake Michael Kors Handbag
When looking at a bag, the qualities below can be used to distinguish a fake bag from a real one:
- Price: As with all designer handbags, price is a big indicator of what you’re buying. Michael Kors handbags range from the mid-100s to several thousand dollars. Research the price range for the bag you're interested in. When considering an online purchase, stay away from bags listed below this price range.
- Trademark: Look for the designer’s trademark square buckles and fixtures. All Michael Kors bags, big or small, display these square accents. Authentic Michael Kors purses have multiple “MK” insignias on buckles, snaps, and other metal parts.
- Materials: Authentic Michael Kors handbags are made from very fine materials and are superbly handcrafted. Although he’s only been designing accessories since 2001, MK bags are extremely well priced. You’re getting great value for your dollar when you buy an authentic Michael Kors purse.
- Silver-tone and gold-tone hardware: This is a sturdy, shiny metal that feels very solid to the touch. Replica Michael Kors handbags usually use cheaper metals and plastic.
- The stitching: The stitching should be even, straight, perfectly aligned with seams, and never loose. Large, uneven stitching is a surefire sign of a knock-off. The stitching is the hardest thing for replicators to copy. Because it takes a lot of experienced, skilled labor, the stitching on replica Michael Kors handbags almost always comes up short.
- The inside lining: People who make knock-offs only care what it looks like on the outside. So you can definitely tell the difference when you open the bag up. The inside of a real bag is often made of a soft canvas-like material with leather trimming around the lining. The zippers, trim, and seams are always stitched. If you see unstitched seams and tags, then you know they're being held together by glue, another sure sign of a replica Michael Kors handbags.
- Research the bag you want: Visit a boutique or the MK official website and study the bag you want. Compare it to the one you’re planning on buying online. Compare all of the features. Are all of the buckles and insignias in the right place? Do they look like they should? All individual MK lines are designed the same with all their features in their respective places. If anything is out of place, red flags should be going up. When you know what you're buying, it's easier to identify replica Michael Kors handbags.
- Purchase from trusted retailers: When purchasing MK handbags online, purchase from a reputable dealer. Read our section on how to avoid buying replica Michael Kors handbags for a resource list on what to look for when buying from an online retailer. If you're buying on an online marketplace like eBay or Amazon, be sure to read the seller's feedback and review their return policy. If their bags are authentic, they’ll have no problem taking it back.
- Read the listing carefully: Remember, if it’s described as “replica” or “designer inspired,” it’s not real.
© 2011 Alejandra Duris