What Is the French Girl Look?
The French Girl look is chic, subtly sexy, natural, relaxed and yet casually elegant. The eyes are accentuated with both the hair and makeup. The lips are natural and smooth with enough color to enhance the lips just a little, nothing overpowering.
The French girl look is about being comfortable and confident about who you are as a woman, yet realizing that a certain amount of effort is necessary to look tres jolie, very pretty. Besides looking and feeling so, so chic, the French Girl look is hot, hot, hot.
While visiting Paris, I couldn't help but notice the beauty of the French women. This article covers tips of how to achieve that French girl look.
We may not be French, but we can cheat a little bit to get that look. Let's start with the face.
It starts with squeaky clean skin. The French women spend a large chunk of their paycheck on beauty products (and lingerie). Make sure you're using a great skin care product and follow the regimen religiously.
Once the face is clean and moisturized, it's time to give your face a very natural, healthy looking glow. The perfect fashion cannot make up for an unhealthy looking face. Spending time at the beauty counter of a department store or Sephora can be helpful in determining your skin type and what products work best for your skin type. Don't be afraid to ask questions or tell them what you don't like.
- A smooth, matte foundation gives a nice, finished, natural glow.
- Use a hint of color with blush, or an illuminator fluid that smooths on and gives instant subtle light and color to the face. Nars offers the Copacabana Illuminator and Laguna Bronzing Powder, both of which were used on Olivia Wilde for her French Girl look at the Golden Globes.
- Define the eyes with black eyeliner, starting at the lash line. Smolder eyeshadow on the eyelids if you're going out. Use black mascara, and don't forget to define the brow with an eyebrow pencil, not too dark if your hair is light.
- Lips will look natural and beautiful with a neutral, peachy beige matte lipstick (Nars Madre pure matte). Finish with a sheer pink, velvety gloss such as Nars Super Orgasm
Don't forget the most important step with your facial beauty regimen, a clean, smooth face.
The finished look should look natural but glowing, with the accent on the eyes and lips.
OOH LA LA. You look beautiful!
CHANEL Beauty Talks: Episode 5 “The Little Black Palette” with Ellie Bamber
The look is effortless, natural and healthy, not overly processed. If the hair looks untouchable, it is not the French girl look. The French are known for wanting to look as natural as possible and yet not boring. Hair care products with less detergents and chemicals will help the hair grow strong and healthy. Frequent cuts/trims help keep the style of the hair and reduce split ends; every four to five weeks.
- Long, straight hair with a touch of shine and Kerastase Volumactive Mousse looks free flowing and goddess-like. A round brush can be used at the ends to give a more natural, feminine look after washing and drying.
- Tousled yet smooth and natural looking is chic and easy to maintain, which is a vital French girl prerequisite. A touch of your favorite hair gloss gives texture and shine. Rub a small amount on your finger-tips and lightly run it through bangs, sides that frame your face, and viola!
- If in a rush, and yet you want to look fresh and elegant, a simple French twist or chignon will do the trick. For a more formal occasion, use vintage combs/pins/feathers/lace to give a chic French twist.
- Remember, it's not supposed to look perfect, just perfect for you! Whatever the occasion, the French girl look fits who you are and looks fabulous.
French Twist Hair Tutorial
French Women Find a Great Stylist to Take Care of their Hair
There are salons everywhere in Paris because they are in high demand. Find one in your area that you trust, and use a stylist who knows you.
Diet affects our hair. French women drink a lot of water and eat foods which contain water, like fresh fruits and veggies.
Ask your stylist for the best hair products for your hair type. Hair doesn't need to be washed daily. My stylist suggests every two to three days.
Use a great conditioner and a weekly hot oil treatment if you use styling tools.
The French girl look requires some basic classic pieces that never fade from fashion, creativity, and a sense of self-expression. This look is about communication. The eyes, the lips, the hair, are all ways in which a woman communicates. Fashion with style is not only about function and looking well, but is another way in which we communicate our inner self to the outer world.
A simple question; do you feel equally the same about yourself if you do or do not put effort into your looks? I know what the answer is for myself. Even if I'm settling in to work at home for the day, I feel better when I take some time to put myself together. Here are some basic French girl fashion essentials.
- at least one little black dress, two or three is even better
- a great fitting spring/summer dress
- 2 pencil skirts, black, taupe or neutral shade
- 2 or 3 soft, silky blouses
- one great tailored white shirt
- great fitting jeans (no mom jeans, you'll never wear them again once you find a great fit)
- a blazer or jacket for spring/summer, fall/winter
- two nice fitting slacks
- a few cotton t-shirts to accessorize with scarves, jackets, sweaters
- ballet flats, pumps/heels, a great pair of boots
- scarves and belts
We tend to buy more clothes than we need. These basic, quality pieces will last for many years and never go out of style. Accessories and jewelry can change and update the look. Great place to find affordable quality clothing are vintage apparel shops, department store sales, specialty shops, like Mod Cloth and Anthropologie.
Don't feel like you have to pay enormous amounts of money, because it's not necessary. Quality classic pieces can be found at affordable prices with just a little bit of time and effort. You are worth the time and investment,
Now You've Got The Look!
Of course, we can't forget the right bag for the occasion, sunglasses, the jewelry or no jewelry, tights, scarves, belts, lingerie, a light jacket, or the perfect trench coat.
Slide a few hair pins or hair jewelry into your beautiful locks.
The perfect scent and a healthy dose of confidence and self-awareness complete the French girl look.
Chanel 2019/20 Fall-Winter Ready-to-Wear Show
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.