Neha has been writing beauty articles for many years. She is passionate about skincare and natural remedies.
Natural hair masks are an excellent way to remedy dull and dry hair at home. Dry hair can be easily identified due to split ends and excessive hair breakage (your hair gets damaged and breaks easily). If you are looking for a solution for your frizzy, dull, rough hair, a homemade hair mask can help you out!
There are many natural ingredients, such as avocado, egg, and yogurt, that can prevent dryness by nourishing your locks with needed moisture. Dry hair suffers from a lack of oil and moisture, which makes the hair brittle and frizzy. For soft, shiny, and silky hair, check out these mask recipes.
- 1 ripe avocado
- olive oil, almond oil, or jojoba oil
- Peel a ripe avocado and mash it. In a bowl, beat it with olive oil. (Note: Do not use olive oil if your hair is color-treated. Olive oil has the tendency to lighten highlights. You can substitute almond oil or jojoba oil instead.)
- Wet your hair before applying the hair mask. Apply the mask to the scalp and hair ends. Make sure you tuck your hair into a shower cap after applying the mask.
- After around 25 to 30 minutes, run your fingers through your hair and massage your scalp.
- Rinse off, and enjoy your soft and manageable hair!
- The fleshy, high fiber content of this butter fruit makes its application easy on the hair.
- A ripe avocado is a great moisturizer for skin and hair, and it's loaded with lots of nutrients and vitamins.
- This fruit's natural oil acts as a deep conditioner for dull hair.
- It can be used alone or with other ingredients in a hair mask.
If you straighten your hair all the time and use harsh chemicals, this homemade egg and olive oil hair mask will help to smooth your hair.
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Take two eggs and 4 tablespoons of olive oil and blend together well.
- Apply to hair for 20 to 25 minutes. Make sure you wear a shower cap whenever you apply a hair mask, as plastic wraps help trap in the moisture and as a result your hair gets better hydration.
- Rinse off the mask, and you will find your hair thoroughly conditioned and shiny.
Warning: You should not use hot water to wash off the mix! Hot water makes egg difficult to rinse from the hair, because warm water partially cooks and hardens it, making it harder to rinse off. Make sure you use cold or room temperature water.
- Many people like to crack eggs on their head because they make the hair extra shiny and smooth.
- Eggs are a simple remedy for the damaged and dry hair. The high protein content found in them is useful to strengthen hair follicles.
- The nutrients in eggs act as a deep conditioner that helps to add shine and texture to dull hair.
To add loads of moisture to your flaky, dull and dry hair, you can try banana mask for hair. Apply this once a week for healthy and shiny hair.
- 1 or 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon milk or olive oil (as needed)
- Take one or two ripe bananas (according to hair length) and blend it. If the pulp is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk to it. The pulp should be smooth with no chunks or lumps with in it. (You can also add a tablespoon of olive oil).
- Dampen your hair before applying the mask. Apply the mashed mixture to the roots, scalp, hair, and hair ends.
This is more effective than expensive treatments in spas and parlors.
- Banana moisturizing properties are beneficial for dry and rough hair.
- The fruit is rich in minerals and vitamins help to strengthen damaged hair.
- It also gives the required moisture to hair, which helps in preventing breakage and split ends. Regular application of this on hair improves the overall health of hair.
- It can also be helpful in treating dandruff.
Honey and Olive Oil
This mask is good for both hair and the scalp. It will make your hair silky, smooth, and shiny.
- olive oil
- Add equal parts honey and olive oil into a bowl. Mix well.
- Apply to damp hair, scalp, and cover your hair with a warm, damp towel.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes, and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Honey can easily hold the moisture in your hair, and is perfect for hair care.
- Honey and olive oil both will infuse moisture and help to repair split ends and control dandruff.
- This mask also helps to improve the manageability of rough hair, adding an extra shine to it.
This is one of the easiest masks to make. The only ingredient is yogurt.
- Take a cup of yogurt and whip it up.
- Apply it onto your scalp, hair, and hair ends.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes with a plastic cap on.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- You can also make a yogurt and egg version by beating an egg into the yogurt.
- Yogurt has cooling properties so this one is recommended for summers.
- Yogurt or yoghurt is full of lactic acid. Anti-fungal and antibacterial agents found in yogurt makes it a great hair mask.
- Besides moisturizing dry and damaged hair, it has numerous benefits for hair. It helps to get rid of dandruff, clean your scalp, reduces itchiness, and gives overall strength to your hair.
Hot Oil Treatment
To restore health and strength, you can try applying hot oil weekly to your hair as a beauty routine. A good head massage with hot oil improves the blood circulation of the scalp, giving enough moisture to dull and dry hair to maintain their shine and softness. A hair dryer, irons, overexposure to sun makes your hair dry, fragile and weak. Hot oil can help repair this.
An oil of your choice, which could be one of the following:
- coconut oil
- avocado oil
- olive oil
- almond oil
- First of all, wash your hair so that it's clean. Hair should be dirt free so that the hot oil can penetrate easily in hair follicles.
- Warm up your oil and massage the lukewarm oil to the scalp and wet hair with your fingers.
- Cover or wrap your head with a hot towel, shield this hot towel with a second towel to trap the heat.
- Leave in for an hour and then rinse out with shampoo.
- If you have thick, rough, dry and dull hair, avoid styling products on hair.
- You should shampoo less—maybe once or twice a week.
- All the ingredients in these homemade hair masks can be found in your kitchen or a local grocery store.
Treating frizzy and damaged hair the natural way is often more effective than chemical products. Choose one that best suits your needs, and enjoy the difference!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
Question: Is Patanjali shampoo good for dry and rough hair?
Answer: I have used Patanjali milk protein shampoo and it is beneficial for dry and rough hair. Regular use of this shampoo makes my hair more manageable and soft.
Question: What will a mixture of curd and Mehandi leaf powder do for my hair?
Answer: It will make your hair healthier.
Question: For egg/honey/avocado treatments, should I wash hair with shampoo and then apply them or apply shampoo afterward?
Answer: You need to wash your hair with shampoo after applying any egg mask because the egg has a potential smell that might bother you.
Question: Can I leave the avocado mask for a night?
Answer: Wash off when the mask is dry!
Question: When and how much time should I apply a mask with honey, olive oil, and avocado mixed with aloe vera?
Answer: You can apply any time for 15 to 20 minutes!
Question: Can I use an egg, mayo and olive oil hair mask? My hair is extremely rough and brittle.
Answer: Yes, this will make your hair soft and smooth!
Question: How long should I keep the banana mask?
Answer: You should keep the mask for 15 to 20 minutes.
© 2013 Neha Sadana
M.M.B on May 27, 2020:
My hair cut very hard and painful I don't know what to use
Ina on January 03, 2020:
My hair is very thin dry and feels rough,,, it's short shoulder length too... I tried everything it is not growing and I am loosing more hair. Please hrlp
ESTHER on August 05, 2019:
Can i also use condition after applying them
Neha Sadana (author) from India on April 26, 2019:
Hello Pramila! Keep Banana mask for 25 to 30 minutes!
Pramila on April 25, 2019:
How long should we keep banana mask on hair
Geetanjali on April 19, 2019:
Could you please suggest which shampoo i should use for my dull and rough hai?
Milu on August 28, 2018:
In my early age, my hair is very oily and silky but now my hair is very hard and rough. I used egg, olive oil and yogurt very often but no results
Ranjana on September 12, 2017:
Wanted to ask about Avocado and Olive oil mask.. Can I use Coconut oil instead of Olive oil? Will this combo work ?
Neha Sadana (author) from India on August 31, 2017:
Hello maha, All the above hair mask are very effective. You can choose according to the availability of ingredients. Yogurt mask or hot oil treatment would be best and easy to follow.
All the Best!
maha on August 24, 2017:
i have very dry hair, which mask would be the best
Neha Sadana (author) from India on August 12, 2017:
Egg hair mask is very rich in protein which will surely condition your dry, rough hair. The frequency of applying the hair mask depends on quality and roughness of your hair. As you say they are too dry like wire, so you should apply at alternate days firstly. Afterwards you can decrease the frequency of applying mask like twice a week.
Do it consistently for long time benefits.
All the best!!
Gnanaprakash on August 09, 2017:
Hey I am a boy,21 years old.My hair is dry and rough like a wire they are not even. I DECIDED GO WITH the EGG itreatment. But I have a doubt,How often should I use this treatment?
Will the result be tenporary r permanent? Need 2 know!!
Neha Sadana (author) from India on August 08, 2017:
You can give your scalp a massage with warm oil at alternate days. Do this regularly. Oil treatment will moisture your dull, rough and dry hair making them soft and shiny.
Zain on August 05, 2017:
I have hard thick dry and rough hairs please tell me the easiest way to get soft shiny and beautiful hairs especially soft hairs I want
Grace on July 04, 2017:
What if i put everything together? Wipl that matter?
Kirti Rai on January 17, 2017:
Thanks for the remedies. It really works..
keziah on January 07, 2017:
for the egg hair mask can you use vegetable oil instead of olive oil becuase we don't have olive oil
Lauren on December 14, 2016:
The egg mask was a lifesaver. I have fine curly hair and I used heat on it several days in a row for a conference I was attending. Once I was back home I washed my hair per usual and my curls were flat and parts of my hair were straight. I thought I had killed my hair and was worried that I might have to chop a good portion of it off which mortified me. I came across this article and tried the egg mask. After using the mask I had my curls again! Thank you so much for the helpful article!!!
tanya on August 01, 2016:
The Shielo Intensive Hair mask is great like @aestheticx said. I have really hard water and it seems to be the only one that works. My hair is soft again. Be careful of HARD WATER!
sara on April 12, 2016:
You know that hair fall is normal matter for every man and woman, but excess hair fall is bad for life, it makes our life unhappy. But if you take some step for that then you can get good results for your problem
Neha Sadana (author) from India on April 11, 2016:
Thanks for stopping by! Do try the above hair masks, they will surely make your hair healthy.
Annette nikanor on April 11, 2016:
thanks for the techniques, my hair so dry and don't grow,,, but recently used egg mask.
Neha Sadana (author) from India on April 10, 2016:
Yes, olive oil is safe to use on color treated hair.
firstname.lastname@example.org on April 08, 2016:
Can we use olive oil for color treated hairs?
Psbhatt.email@example.com on August 20, 2015:
i m using methi and olive oil hair mask since 1 month for sudden extremely rough hair ,waiting for positive result !
smriti on June 11, 2015:
My hair is very rough and dry what can I do plz give me some essay tips
marìa on May 16, 2015:
my hair is dull and rough plz suggest me home remedy
jasveer on May 06, 2015:
Thank u so much
khushbu on April 16, 2015:
thanks for easy suggestion
Neha Sadana (author) from India on April 14, 2015:
I am glad you like the banana mask for dry hair. Thanks for stopping by and giving the feedback!
omchanda.mishra @gmail on April 11, 2015:
Read this article today and immediately tried banana mask. It worked wonder!
My hair was very smooth after using mask. Worth trying.
Thanks, Ms. Neha
Neha Sadana (author) from India on March 04, 2015:
You can try any of the above home masks for dry hair. Keep in mind, consistency is very important to get the desired results from natural treatments!!
rahila on March 03, 2015:
My hair is very rough dry nd hard nd curly pls suggest some tips
anushka on January 04, 2015:
I really liked all the given techniques.. something really informative
lovely on October 25, 2014:
plz tell me something that make my hair silky,stright and stop my hair fall
EasyReading from Florida on September 30, 2014:
Thank you! Hot Oil treatments works like a gem. F0llow with the egg wash, fabulous hair shine. So simple and easy great care for my hair! Thank you for putting this out there for me and many others,
zani on September 16, 2014:
very nice to use this masks.and give me a advice for curly hair
Kavitha on August 22, 2014:
Egg really works. It keeps my hair straightened and smooth. Also I wondered To see banana here. Thanks for posting that. I will try!!!
aman on August 22, 2014:
My hair so dry and rough plzzz suggest
Neha Sadana (author) from India on August 21, 2014:
Good to know that banana hair mask works well on your hair. Thanks for the feedback!
mask user on August 21, 2014:
I tried banana hair mask it really works. I am happy to say it also controls hair fall problem
anjum on March 20, 2014:
Very informative. practical.effective effort has been done from the author.God bless u.Liked it very much.
tejasvini on October 28, 2013:
My hair has now become very rough and dry they look very dull.pls suggest me some tips for silky and shiny hair.
Cleaning supply on September 17, 2013:
These are totally awesome tips. Specially the tips regarding egg and banana. I was surprised that banana can be used as hair mask. Egg really works best. I have tried it. It gives shine to hair.
Shadaan Alam from India on June 17, 2013:
Hi, these are really easy to use hair masks, to me yoghurt has been of great benefit.
Neha Sadana (author) from India on May 23, 2013:
Hello Karen, Thank you very much for dropping by! One other thing you have to consider, if you have dry hair is not to wash your hair with hot water whether you have applied any mask or not . The reason is that warm water take off the moisture from hair, making your hair more dry and dull.
Neha Sadana (author) from India on May 23, 2013:
Hi Chitrangada! I too have dry hair and use yogurt hair mask to moisture them. You are right, all the above mask recipes are worth trying..
Neha Sadana (author) from India on May 23, 2013:
Hello mariasial! Yes hair masks are very easy to prepare at home. Thanks for stopping by!
Karen Hellier from Georgia on May 22, 2013:
A very nice variety of hair masks are offered here. I especially liked that you added the warning about not rinsing off the egg mask with hot water because that is probably what I would have done, thinking that the best way to rinse something clean is with hot/warm water. Voted up.
Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on May 22, 2013:
Very useful and interesting suggestions for treating dull and rough hair. I have used yogurt or curd and even egg mask. The other ones suggested by you are also worth trying.
Thanks for sharing this useful hub!
maria sial from united kingdom on May 22, 2013:
good and easy to use mask .... i personally use egg mask and its very good voted up :)