6 Natural Hair Mask Recipes to Treat Dry and Damaged Hair
Natural hair masks are an excellent way to treat dull and dry hair at home.
Dry hair can be easily identified with split ends and excessive hair breakage. They get damaged and break easily. If you are looking a cure for your frizzy, dull, rough hair, a homemade hair mask can help you out here! There are many natural things such as avocado, egg, yogurt which can prevent dryness by nourishing your locks with needed moisture. Dry hair suffers with lack of oil and moisture which makes them brittle and frizzy. For soft, shiny, and silky hair, check out these mask recipes:
- Peel a ripe avocado and mash it. In a bowl, beat it with olive oil. (Note: Do not add olive oil if your hair is color treated. Olive oil has the tendency to lighten highlights. So, in this case, you can substitute with almond oil or jojoba oil.)
- Wet your hair before applying hair mask. Apply the mask to the scalp and hair ends. Make sure you tuck your hair into a shower cap after application of hair mask.
- After around 25 to 30 minutes, run your fingers through your hair and massage the scalp.
- Rinse off, and enjoy your soft and manageable hair!
- The fleshy, high fiber content of this butter fruit makes its application easy on the hair.
- A ripe avocado is a great moisturizer for skin and hair, and it's loaded with lots of nutrients and vitamins.
- This fruit's natural oil acts as a deep conditioner for dull hair.
- It can be used alone or with other ingredients in a hair mask.
If you straighten your hair all the time and use harsh chemicals, this homemade egg and olive oil hair mask will help to smooth your hair.
- Take two eggs and 4 tablespoons of olive oil and blend together well.
- Apply to hair for 20 to 25 minutes. Make sure you wear a shower cap whenever you apply a hair mask, as plastic wraps help trap in the moisture and as a result your hair gets better hydration.
- Rinse off the mask, and you will find your hair thoroughly conditioned and shiny.
Warning: You should not use hot water to wash off the mix! Hot water makes egg difficult to rinse from the hair, because warm water partially cooks and hardens it, making it harder to rinse off. Make sure you use cold or room temperature water.
- Many people like to crack them on their head because eggs makes the hair extra shiny and smooth.
- Eggs are a simple remedy for the damaged and dry hair. The high protein content found in them is useful to strengthen hair follicles.
- The nutrients in eggs act as a deep conditioner that helps to add shine and texture to dull hair.
To add loads of moisture to your flaky, dull and dry hair, you can try banana mask for hair. Apply this once a week for healthy and shiny hair.
- Take one or two ripe bananas (according to hair length) and blend it. If the pulp is too thick, add a tablespoon of milk to it. The pulp should be smooth with no chunks or lumps with in it. (You can also add a tablespoon of olive oil).
- Dampen your hair before applying the mask. Apply the mashed mixture to the roots, scalp, hair, and hair ends.
This is more effective than expensive treatments in spas and parlors.
- Banana moisturizing properties are beneficial for dry and rough hair.
- The fruit is rich in minerals and vitamins help to strengthen damaged hair.
- It also gives the required moisture to hair, which helps in preventing breakage and split ends. Regular application of this on hair improves the overall health of hair.
- It can also be helpful in treating dandruff.
Honey and Olive Oil
This mask is good for both hair and the scalp. It will make your hair silky, smooth, and shiny.
- Add equal parts honey and olive oil into a bowl. Mix well.
- Apply to damp hair, scalp, and cover your hair with a warm, damp towel.
- Let it sit for 30 minutes, and then wash off with a mild shampoo.
- Honey can easily hold the moisture in your hair, and is perfect for hair care.
- Honey and olive oil both will infuse moisture and help to repair split ends and control dandruff.
- This mask also helps to improve the manageability of rough hair, adding an extra shine to it.
This is one of the easiest masks to make.
- Take a cup of yogurt and whip it up.
- Apply it onto your scalp, hair, and hair ends.
- Let it sit for 20 minutes with a plastic cap on.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
- You can also make a yogurt and egg version by beating an egg into the yogurt.
- Yogurt has cooling properties so this one is recommended for summers.
- Yogurt or yoghurt is full of lactic acid. Anti-fungal and antibacterial agents found in yogurt makes it a great hair mask.
- Besides moisturizing dry and damaged hair, it has numerous benefits for hair. It helps to get rid of dandruff, clean your scalp, reduces itchiness, and gives overall strength to your hair.
Hot Oil Treatment
To restore health and strength, you can try applying hot oil weekly to your hair as a beauty routine.
- A good head massage with hot oil (coconut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, or almond oil are all good) improves the blood circulation of the scalp, giving enough moisture to dull and dry hair to maintain their shine and softness.
- A hair dryer, irons, overexposure to sun makes your hair dry, fragile and weak. Hot oil can help repair this.
- First of all, wash your hair so that it's clean. Hair should be dirt free so that the hot oil can penetrate easily in hair follicles.
- Warm up your oil and massage the lukewarm oil to the scalp and wet hair with your fingers.
- Cover or wrap your head with a hot towel, shield this hot towel with a second towel to trap the heat.
- Leave in for an hour and then rinse out with shampoo.
- If you have thick, rough, dry and dull hair, avoid styling products on hair.
- You should shampoo less—maybe once or twice a week.
- All the ingredients in these homemade hair masks can be found in your kitchen or a local grocery store.
Treating frizzy and damaged hair the natural way is often more effective than chemical products. Choose one that best suits your needs, and enjoy the difference!
Which Hair Mask Ingredient is your Favorite for Hair Care?
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Neha Sadana