Aloe Vera's Benefits for Strong Beautiful Hair
Aloe vera has been around for years. People have been using this slimy plant since before my neighbor was born. (Ok, so you don't know Mr. Willis, but if you did, you would know exactly what I mean. I don't know how he survived the dinosaur extinction!)
Back to aloe vera. It's a great plant that can be used in so many different creative ways. If you have long hair or are interested in keeping your hair healthy, aloe might just become your best friend.
Get the Maximum Benefits
- Once the aloe vera leaf has been cut, it can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.
- The juice of aloe vera can only be stored for 24 hours before it loses its properties.
How Can Aloe Help Your Hair?
- Reduces dandruff: Aloe helps prevent dryness in the scalp without leaving with a greasy or oily feeling. It is also anti-fungal, so it can help you get rid of annoying dandruff and flakes. As an added benefit, it makes your scalp feel refreshed.
- Protects hair: Aloe can help safeguard your hair from damaging substances like dust and pollution.
- Reduces sebum: Sebum keeps the scalp hydrated. However, when excess sebum is produced, it accumulates on the scalp. This can clog pores and prevent new hair from growing.
- Promotes hair growth: Aloe improves blood circulation to the applied zone. If applied to the scalp, it will increase blood flow and provide better nutrition to the cells in this area, promoting hair growth and improving the function of the hair follicles.
- Provides vitamins and minerals: Aloe has many vitamins and minerals that nourish the scalp. It contains vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C, and E. The combination of these vitamins results in stronger hair.
Aloe can be used in a variety of ways and for many different purposes. I love the versatility of this plant. And the best part is that it is cheap!
Mix 1 tbs of aloe vera gel and 1 tbs of jojoba oil, then apply the mixture to your hair. You can use a spray bottle to make things easier.
For Hair Growth
There are a few aloe vera mixtures you can make at home to promote rapid hair growth. Experiment with these formulas to find out which works best for you.
Aloe and honey
- 1/2 tbs of aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp of honey
Mix together and apply to scalp. Leave on for 20 minutes and wash hair. You can use this hair mask daily or at least 4 times a week to see results.
Just Aloe Vera
This is super easy to make, and the only thing you will need is a leaf of aloe vera.
Remove the gel from the leaf and cut on small pieces.
Let it soak overnight to let all the "goo" come out.
You can use this as a mask and leave on as long as you like, or use it as a conditioner when you take a shower.
Aloe Vera and Onion
This is also an easy fix. Add small pieces of aloe vera (without the skin) and small pieces of onion to your regular shampoo. Use 2 to 3 times a week.
Aloe Vera and Olive Oil
So we all know olive oil is good for everything. Now I imagine the benefits when you mix it with a plant that is also good for everything. Results? Pure awesomeness!!
- 2 tbs of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of aloe vera gel
Blend the two ingredients and massage into hair from roots to ends. Leave on for 15 to 20 minutes and wash hair normally.
To Reduce Grease
- Aloe vera and lemon
- 1/2 cup of aloe vera gel
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
Blend together, apply to hair, and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse.
You don't have to spend an insane amount of money on salon products to have long, beautiful and healthy hair. Nature offers many options for a healthy scalp and enviable tresses. Sometimes the best beauty product can be in our kitchen or in our garden!
How likely are you to use aloe vera on your hair?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.