How to Naturally Cleanse and Clarify Your Scalp
Why Clarify Your Scalp?
When you shampoo your hair, all the dirt and oil do not always come off as they should. A weekly or monthly scalp clarification can help maintain a beautiful head of hair.
When you clarify your scalp, you will remove all the dirt, oil, and any other solids that build up on your scalp. For healthy hair growth, you want hair care products to penetrate your scalp. A clean scalp is easier to penetrate, so conditioners and other hair products can have the desired effect.
Pay attention to products you use that may build up on your scalp. Your hair produces its own natural oils. If you add essential oils to your hair they will build up, as well other products that you apply to the top of your hair. At least once a month, your scalp should be cleaned well to remove accumulated oil and dirt.
To minimize build-up between cleanings:
- Use sulfate-free hair products.
Look for polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) on hair product labels. PDMS is a silicone oil with distinctive properties that makes it a useful ingredient, but it coats your hair. Look for silicone-free products to keep build-up to a minimum.
How to Clarify Your Scalp
When clarifying your different scalp, choose a method that works for your hair and sensitivity. Your best choice is to go natural and use products that will not damage or irritate your skin.
- The mildest method is to use a plain vinegar and warm water. Shampoo your hair as usual and then pour a 1:2 ratio of vinegar and water over your scalp and hair. Leave in for 2 to 5 minutes and wash out with cold water to seal.
- For more substantial buildup or for less frequent cleansing, use a mix of castile soap and baking soda mix. Use your preferred castile soap and mix with a tablespoon of baking soda. Gently massage all over scalp. Leave in for 2 to 5 minutes, rinse with warm water and then cold to seal.
Using a Shower Comb or Brush
Using your fingers to clarify your scalp can be effective. You can work the products in, massage your scalp, and condition to help with blood circulation and get a nice feeling.
If your have straight to wavy hair, try using a shampoo brush. It will give a deeper massage. Make sure to use brush with thick bristles, unlike a regular hair brush, and a handle with a good grip. This will aid in removing almost all the dirt from your scalp and strengthen your roots. This method distributes the natural moisture and oil on the scalp throughout your hair. Use the brush to work your shampoo and conditioner into your scalp and then over your hair evenly.
If you have more curls, try using a shower comb. Comb teeth are thick like the brush bristles, so you can work products through your hair. I have naturally curly hair and have tried using a brush, but my hair gets tangled and breaks sometimes. I use my fingers to massage my scalp and a comb to work shampoo and conditioner all over. Sometimes after a deep conditioning, it's easier for me to use the brush to massage my scalp.
Try both and see which one work best for your hair.
How to Clarify Hair
Benefits to Clarifying
A great benefit to cleaning your scalp is that you can get your hair back to it's healthiest state. Cleansing will revitalize every strand of dull hair. You not only want your hair to grow, shine, and blow in the wind, you want these health benefits:
- Removes oil, dirt, bacteria, and product residue.
- Opens and irrigates follicle pores.
- Improves circulation and blood flow to scalp and hair.
- Increases nutrient delivery to follicle root and shaft.
When your hair maintains a natural look, you know it is healthy. You can also see when your hair is starting to look lifeless. Don't wait to do something about it. That's when you should clarify your scalp to receive all the benefits of your products. Your hair will thank you!
Great To Shampoo Hair & Clean Scalp
How often do you Clarify your scalp?
Tips for Your Cleansing Regimen
Once you have cleaned your scalp, set a regular schedule for a cleaning regimen. Weekly or monthly cleanings will make a difference! After you notice how your hair reacts, you will want to work it into your regimen to get the best results. Try once a month to start. If you increase your use of products ,or engage in a lot of activities, try once every two weeks. Once you find what works for you, it will make a tremendous difference in you hair health.
Remember, when you clarify your hair you are stripping everything away. Make sure to use natural products. Your hair is very delicate!
- Always condition your hair after cleansing to put moisture back in your hair. A deep conditioning will restore moisture.
- Wrap a warm towel around your head to open your pores and let in natural moisture.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner to help seal your strands to the ends and a natural oil that works with your hair type.
Questions & Answers
© 2014 Kerby Mellon