I love discovering and sharing DIY beauty tips, especially all-natural solutions that you can easily make at home.
3 DIY Hair Masks for Dry, Frizzy Hair and Split Ends
If you have stubborn, out-of-control frizzy hair that changes with the weather, worry no more! These three very simple and cost-effective hair masks will not only aid in taming and nurturing your frizzy hair but also promote hair growth and help remove dandruff and excess oils.
Don't go hunting for chemical-packed frizz fighters when you can whip up effective hair masks using kitchen pantry ingredients. Check out these cool DIY hair masks to naturally tame unruly frizz.
- Mayonnaise, Egg, and Honey Hair Mask
- Banana and Almond Oil Hair Mask
- Avocado, Coconut Milk, and Olive Oil Hair Mask
1. Mayonnaise, Egg, and Honey Hair Mask
Mayonnaise is the ultimate de-frizzer, and when combined with egg and honey, it will work wonders in taming wild frizzy hair. The egg will not only help soften dry, frizzy locks but will also nourish your scalp and roots.
Honey is a natural humectant and will moisturize your frizzy hair, locking moisture into hair cells and bringing back their vibrancy.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk the egg until it turns frothy. Combine the above ingredients thoroughly.
- With clean fingertips, massage the mixture into your wet hair.
- Wind your hair in a high bun over your head and cover it with a disposable shower cap. Sit 15 minutes, allowing the goodness of the mask to sink deep into your hair follicles.
- When the time is up, wash off the mask from the hair roots to the ends. Rinse off as many times as possible until all of the mask is off.
- Shampoo well to remove the hair mask smells and condition as usual. Give a final rinse with cold water, and wrap your hair in a fluffy towel.
- Before applying the mask, wet your hair and wrap a warm towel around your head to open up hair follicles.
- Rinse as thoroughly as possible to wash off all the hair mask to avoid any bits and pieces of the mask sticking to your hair.
- Wet your hair before applying the mask. Using the mask on dry hair and scalp doesn't work.
The Ingredients and Their Benefits for Hair
Let's look at the benefits of the ingredients in this hair mask for frizzy hair:
Mayonnaise is classified as an oil and contains natural oils, vinegar, and multi-vitamin egg yolk, which helps restore damaged, frizzy hair. It's generally best for curly hair types as it helps restore moisture and works to soften brittle, frizzy hair and may not be necessary for those with straight hair.
Egg yolk is high in protein, which can strengthen hair and encourage shine. The protein lecithin in eggs can soften and moisturize dry, frizzy hair.
Read More From Bellatory
Honey helps add moisture to dry, frizzy hair. It may also work to add shine and gloss to hair and promote smooth and soft hair and reduce breakage.
2. Banana and Almond Oil Hair Mask
Using just two ingredients, this frizzy hair mask recipe will soften dry, frizzy hair as well as moisturize it. Bananas are 75 percent water, which makes them a great natural moisturizer for frizzy hair, and almond oil serves as an excellent conditioner that will bless your locks with a natural sheen.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1–2 teaspoons of almond oil
- Puree two ripe or overripe bananas in a blender until lump-free.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir in the almond oil together with the banana puree.
- Slather the hair mask onto your strands, starting from the roots, working downward.
- Tie your hair into a loose bun, and cover it with a shower cap.
- Wait 15 minutes. You can use this time to relax, read a book, or pamper yourself with a manicure.
- When the time is up, wash off the mask well. After every bit of the mask is off, shampoo your hair and rinse with cold water.
- You don't even need to shampoo and condition your hair with this mask since it smells wonderful, and almond oil acts as a great conditioner.
- Apply the hair mask right before a shower to effectively wash it off.
- Use overripe bananas for this mask instead of throwing them away.
- You can always add greater quantities of the ingredients listed, depending on your hair length and volume.
The Ingredients and Their Benefits
Let's taken an in-depth look at the benefits of these ingredients for hair:
Bananas are high in silica, which helps your body produce collagen. Bananas may also aid with hair growth and help dandruff.
Almond oil penetrates deep into the scalp, strengthening hair roots and shafts. It helps to soften frizzy hair and may promote hair growth. Using it on the ends of your locks adds a natural glow to dull frizzes. It has also been used for centuries as a treatment for flaky scalps.
3. Avocado, Coconut Milk, and Olive Oil Hair Mask
The creamy avocado is one of the most powerful superfoods for good health, but avocado can also be used in hair masks for shiny, lustrous locks! Combined with two other powerful frizz-fighting ingredients, this hair mask is excellent for dry, frizzy hair. This hair mask contains moisture-rich ingredients that sound yummy too!
- 1 small ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- First, puree 1/2 a ripe avocado in a blender until smooth.
- Stir in coconut milk and olive oil and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp going downward to your hair ends. Take time to massage the hair mask in gentle circular motions deep into your scalp.
- Wait 15 minutes before rinsing off the mask thoroughly. You may shampoo and condition using organic products.
- Use a ripe avocado so it is easier to puree. Freezing or thawing the avocado before use also works great.
- Make sure to blend the avocado until you get a lump-free smoothie. This is important—if you have lumps in your mixture, you will have a hard time rinsing off, and you might end up with tiny avocado lumps stuck to your hair.
- Don't just smear the hair mask onto your scalp and locks. Take time to massage the mixture deep into your scalp in gentle circular motions using both hands. Slather a generous amount of hair mask onto your hair ends where the most damage occurs.
The Ingredients and Their Benefits
Look at the benefits of avocado, coconut milk, and olive oil for hair:
Avocado contains vitamins, healthy fat, and minerals that help to nourish the scalp. It's a good source of biotin and contains minerals that protect hair elasticity and help prevent further hair damage and breakage.
Coconut milk is high in vitamins and protein, which help to nourish hair and restore luster to dull, damaged, frizzy hair. It may also slow hair loss and can be used to treat dandruff.
Olive oil is high in vitamin E, which may promote hair growth. It's rich in mineral and vegetable oils that can moisturize hair.
Other Healthy Ingredients to Add to a DIY Hair Mask for Dry, Frizzy Locks
You can always tailor hair masks to suit your personal needs; here are some examples of extra ingredients you can add to a hair mask, and you can even use them to design your own!
- Yogurt: When combined with other ingredients in a hair mask, this popular breakfast food works great to help retain moisture.
- Apple cider vinegar: It's thought to help control frizz and has other benefits for your scalp.
- Brown sugar: This delicious cookie ingredient can also be used to exfoliate your scalp.
- Milk: This versatile drink has lots of proteins and vitamins that can work effectively with other ingredients to boost your hair's health.
- Lemon: The sour fruit may help balance pH and reduce hair loss.
- Aloe vera: This healing plant may help prevent dandruff and condition your hair.
More Homemade Masks for Hair
- Best DIY Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) Hair Mask Mixes
I'm not afraid to say that my sister and I have gorgeous locks of hair! The secret? It's all thanks to apple cider vinegar! Check out these true ACV hair masks that will leave your hair feeling loved.
- Best DIY Hair Masks for Dry Hair
Discover three different hair masks for dry hair with intense action for moisturizing, hydrating, and nourishing hair follicles from within—all with natural ingredients from your kitchen!
- DIY Egg White Hair Masks for Lustrous Hair
Find three simple & easy-to-make egg white hair mask recipes for strong and lustrous hair. An egg white hair mask is not just for people with oily hair.
Beoy, L. A., Woei, W. J., & Hay, Y. K. (2010, December). Effects of tocotrienol supplementation on hair growth in human volunteers. Tropical life sciences research.
Gavazzoni Dias, M. F. R. (2015). Hair cosmetics: An overview. International journal of trichology.
Goluch-Koniuszy, Z. S. (2016, March). Nutrition of women with hair loss problem during the period of menopause. Przeglad menopauzalny = Menopause review.
Gouvinhas, I., Machado, N., Sobreira, C., Domínguez-Perles, R., Gomes, S., Rosa, E., & Barros, A. I. R. N. A. (2017, November 16). Critical review on the significance of olive phytochemicals in plant physiology and human health. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland).
Hossain MS;Alam MB;Asadujjaman M;Zahan R;Islam MM;Mazumder ME;Haque ME; (n.d.). Antidiarrheal, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of the musa sapientum seed. Avicenna journal of medical biotechnology.
L;, B. B. C. (n.d.). Honey in dermatology and skin care: A review. Journal of cosmetic dermatology. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24305429/.
MediLexicon International. (n.d.). Egg yolk for hair: Benefits and how to use it. Medical News Today.
Pasupuleti, V. R., Sammugam, L., Ramesh, N., & Gan, S. H. (2017). Honey, propolis, and ROYAL JELLY: A comprehensive review of their Biological actions and health benefits. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity.
S;, S. Z. F. Q. C. B. X. (n.d.). Analysis of physicochemical property and composition of fatty acid of almond oil. Se pu = Chinese journal of chromatography.
Trüeb, R. M. (2009, January). Oxidative stress in ageing of hair. International journal of trichology.
Yaghoobi, R., Kazerouni, A., & Kazerouni, O. (2013, August). Evidence for clinical use of honey in wound healing as an anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory anti-oxidant and anti-viral agent: A review. Jundishapur journal of natural pharmaceutical products.
Z;, A. (n.d.). The uses and properties of Almond Oil. Complementary therapies in clinical practice.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Gia on June 13, 2020:
How often should I apply the mayo hair mask?
elsie on July 18, 2016:
how about falling ang thinning hair? any recommendation using natural ingredients?
crystal on March 14, 2016:
instead of almond oil, would olive oil, or argan oil work?
sudha on February 18, 2016:
It really good remedy for home to get soft skily hair. It's really work
HackHealth from Los Angeles, California on January 26, 2015:
Love this. I'll be trying these soon to tame the frizz
Ana Maria Orantes from Miami Florida on January 26, 2015:
Thank you for the masks natural ingredients for the healthy hair's growing. It is good to try different natural things with the experts advice. Then, nothing can go wrong. What a nice relive to apply it in our heads knowing that someone else already tested. You are a good person to share your beauty's secrets. I like your hub.
maylin on August 26, 2014:
I was wondering, after doing any of these treatments, when your hair dry's does it stay frizz less?
Susan Hazelton from Northern New York on July 23, 2014:
I will definitely be trying the mayonnaise egg honey hair mask. I need something that will really tame my hair. Terrific post.
Anna on May 26, 2014:
Wow. Just did this, used the Mayo, egg, and honey one, just took the towel off my head and my hair feels amazing, next stop, growing gorgeous nails. xD.
M on May 26, 2014:
How many times in a week can you do this?
Emily from Missouri on March 13, 2014:
Thanks, great tips! I tried the avocado hair mask and its amazing, I also use the Pro Naturals hair care system to have beautiful and healthy hair.
Christin Sander from Midwest on February 11, 2014:
Nicely done hub, good information and great graphics and layout - voted up and sharing.