How to Get 360 Hair Waves for Black Men
Steps to Get Deep 360 Waves
- Get a short haircut and edge up.
- Brush your hair for 1-2 minutes with a wave-brush.
- Put a washcloth in running hot water, squeeze some water from the rag, and then place hot wash cloth on top of your hair and wipe down.
- Repeat hot water process for the sides and back of hair also.
- Add a good moisturizer to your hair.
- Place a wave cap onto your head for one day, preferably only at bedtime.
- It may take up to 6 weeks for waves to appear, so try to repeat this process mentioned above daily to train your hair to form deep 360 waves.
- Using pomades produces build-up and flakes.
- Most pomade wave products contain heavy petroleum, which makes hair waves feel gooey and gummy.
- Also, use may clog hair pores, cause acne on the face and upper back, and cause a potential receding hairline if you frequently wear fitted baseball-caps.
Using hair creams that contain Shea butter and essential oils are healthier. Your wave products should feel light on the hair—not thick and heavy, which causes flaky build-up. The only time that you should brush the waves is after applying a hair cream or a moist hot rag, or when shampooing.
- When in the shower, brush the shampoo into your hair with warm water, going in the direction of the waves.
- After shampoo-brushing your hair, rinse with cool water.
- The best shampoos to use for hair waves are herbal, conditioning, and protein ones.
Hair Wave Tips
African American men aren't the only ones sporting short waves styles—young boys are wearing them, other races, and even women that have short cuts are wearing them. The short wave haircut style can be easy to get and maintained once it is practiced.
- Only brush when hair is moist. One thing to avoid is brushing the hair while it is dry. Only brush when moisturizer has been applied to the waves.
- You don't need to brush too much. Some men brush 3-8 hours a day, strange isn't it? But that isn't necessary, in fact too much can cause the hair to get thinner, and makes it feel like the individual is brushing more scalp than hair. The idea is to get waves—thick, healthy looking hair, not over-brushing the cuticles.
- Take vitamins. Taking care of hair goes further than just applying products. A good tip for good healthy hair is to take Biotin vitamins. Multivitamins and Biotin vitamins can be purchased at a local pharmacy. Biotin is known for making hair thicker and healthier.
- Get a good brush. A good one to buy is 100% Boar Bristles Diane brush, or another wave brush brand of your choice. It's a good idea to have both a hard bristle and a soft bristle brush. Sometimes it takes 6-8 weeks or less for some men to form "deep 360 waves."
- Combing and brushing. Once you have established deep waves, you can use a wave-comb to comb your style. The soft brush is also for when your waves are established and already formed. Avoid sharing your brushes and combs with other people for sanitary reasons. It's good to wash your brushes and combs in hot water and soap every two days. Wash your waves every 3-4 days in order to keep the moisture in the hair longer.
- Avoid using chemical perm. Good news: Black men's hair is naturally curly, this is why it should be easy to train it to form deep waves.
- Use your hands instead of a brush when hair is dry. Rubbing the waves with the palm of your hands when the hair is dry is better, rather than brushing the hair when it's dry.
Avoid Chemical Perms or Curl Kits
This can't be said enough: Avoid using chemical perms or kits to form wave styles. When your hair is natural without chemicals and the hair is forming shiny healthy waves, it will give you confidence with the look or your hair. Perms contain the same ingredients as a liquid drain opener—these very harsh chemical can lead to premature balding. Also avoid letting other toxins get into your hair, such as cigarette smoke.
Here are some other tips:
- Using excessive amounts of hair products is not necessary, just using a good conditioning moisturizer. That's all you need.
- Help formation by using a wave-cap, durag, or stocking cap. It's only necessary to wear a wave cap when the hair is wet, damped, newly moisturized, or when going to bed. Wave caps don't have to be worn out in public unless you're new to forming waves. But if you already have waves, it's okay to let the hair get some air in public, and to leave the cap at home.
- Some men go to a barber shop to get their short haircut, or some might cut their own with clippers at home.
- Most wave moisturizers can be found at beauty supply stores or local pharmacies. Once you find out which work for you, continue to use them. The products that work for one person's hair may not work for your hair or skin. Learn your own hair type, and when you find out which products are better for you in making deep waves, continue to use them.
Wearing your own natural hair is a healthier choice, plus your 360 waves will begin to look "swagalicious." Many ladies like to see a man that's well groomed, and with a sexy wave haircut.
Preventing Potential Acne Caused by Brushing
Brushing waves and using hair products can lead to mild acne symptoms. Acne can form on the forehead, upper back, and back of the neck. To prevent, this you may want to use an acne astringent or isopropyl alcohol with 100% cotton balls. Wipe the forehead, upper back, and back of neck with cotton and acne treatment. Also, as mentioned, avoid using greasy pomades.
Some people may want to use a small hand mirror to see the back of their hair, by using another mirror in front of them at the same time.
Recommended Hair Moisturizers
- Carrot Creme
- Liv Conditioning Cream
- Curl Balancing Smoothie
- Parnevu Organic Mayonaise
- Curl Activator (World of Curls, S-curl) or other brands
- Orange Citrus Shea Butter Hair Cream Moisturizer Whipped with Essential Oils
Avoid hair gels, because they contain glue, which may cause thinning.
Lastly, remember, waves have to be prevented from dryness and maintain moisture most of the time.
Thank you for stopping by! Feel free to comment with any questions below.
Do You Have a Short Wave Haircut Style?See results without voting
How to Get 360 Waves
360 Waves Hair Moisturizer
- Whipped Orange Citrus Shea Butter Hair Cream Moisturizer
This hair butter can be applied to any Afro texture hairstyle: Locks, 360 Waves, Individual Braids, Afro Puffs, Braid-outs, Two Strand Twists, Flat Twists, Corn-rows, Crochet Braids, Weaves, Flat ironing, and Blow-outs.
© 2012 Ann810
More by this Author
Black people use fade creams to even their skin,and not so much as to lighten it. We have high maintenance skin and hair, that's to be expected when your history is of kings and queens.
You can regrow your hairline edges by avoiding tight hairstyles frequently.