Four Quick and Easy Hairstyles for Busy Women
The Busy Woman
Very few women (especially mothers) have time to spend all day on some elaborate Pinterest-inspired hairstyle. Most women are too busy rushing to get the kids breakfast or to get themselves ready for school or work to even think about trying a cute hairstyle. If most women are like me, their hair is lucky to even get brushed that day, let alone styled.
However, there are some very cute and easy hairstyles that can be achieved in under 10 minutes, which most of our schedules can manage. These styles can be classy, sexy, cute, spunky, and just what you need to keep your hair out of your face and out of your way.
All you need for these looks are some very basic hair care products that most of you probably already have, such as bobby pins, clips, combs, hairspray, and hair bands.
These hairstyles, if done right, will stay up all day, no matter whether you're chasing children around or rushing to meet important business deadlines. Bobby pins and a little bit of hairspray will be more than enough to keep your locks in place.
The Sock Bun
This is my go-to hairstyle when I haven't had time to wash my hair. It only takes a few quick minutes to put up and is simple, yet versatile. It works well in both casual and dressy settings, so you can do your hair like this on days when you plan on going out later.
Here's a simple method of doing a sock bun hairstyle:
- Step 1: Wet your hair a little. A spray bottle works well for this. You don't want your hair too wet, but just enough to make it slightly more manageable.
- Step 2: Comb your hair back in a high ponytail with no part in your hair.
- Step 3: Take an old sock (use a white sock if you have blond-ish hair and black or brown for brown-ish hair) and cut the toe portion off of the sock. Roll the edges of the sock down the sides so that you end up with a little bun (or, as the woman in the video says, "It looks like a donut").
- Step 4: Take your ponytail, thread the end of it through the sock bun, then fold the hair over the edge of the bun to tuck it in underneath. Then fold the sock bun over, wrapping it with your hair as you go along. Keep folding until you reach the crown of your head.
- Step 5: If you have any loose strands, simply secure them with bobby pins.
- Step 6: Secure the rest of the bun with bobby pins if you feel it is needed. Most people with thick or very fine hair will need the extra security.
- Step 7: Spray your hair down with hairspray or holding spray.
Congratulations! You have now mastered the sock-bun hairstyle!
The Braided Bun
The braided bun is actually way easier than it appears. It will take you less than 10 minutes to achieve this look. As an added bonus, it can be done with hair that hasn't been washed.
Here's how to achieve this simple, yet classy look:
- Step 1: Comb out hair and do a side part. Your hair does not need to be wet for this look.
- Step 2: On the voluptuous side of your hair, do a small braid. You can do either a French braid or a standard European braid. The woman in the picture has this hairstyle with a French braid, while the woman in the video does the hairstyle with a standard braid. Secure this braid with a band.
- Step 3: At the back of your head, take the top portion of your hair, and roll it into a basic bun. You can braid this if you want, but it will save time if you just roll it. Secure this bun with clips or bobby pins.
- Step 4: Take the bottom portion of your hair and do a standard braid. Once this is braided, roll it around the roll braid and secure with bobby pins.
- Step 5: Fold the side braid into the large bun and secure with bobby pins.
- Step 6: Any loose hair, such as long bangs, can be secured into the bun or curled and left alone.
- Step 7: Spray hair down with hairspray.
You can also do two side braids, one on each side, for a different version of this bun.
The Upside-Down French Braid Bun
This look works well for around the house but is also great for any dressy events. It is very easy and works well when you haven't washed your hair.
Here is how to achieve this look:
- Step 1: Brush out your hair so that it is free of tangles. Spray a little bit of water onto it so that it is a bit more manageable.
- Step 2: Tilt your head so that your hair is over your face. It may be easier to lay down on your stomach over your bed to do this.
- Step 3: Do a basic French braid, starting from the back of your head near your neck. Work your way up towards the crown of your head.
- Step 4: Once you have braided to the height that you want, put your hair up in a high bun. The sock bun works great for this look.
- Step 5: Secure bun with bobby pins and spray with hairspray.
The Basic Bob
The bob is a classic hairstyle that works for long or short hair. It is wonderful for those who have naturally straight hair with volume. However, if you have curly hair or very little volume, this look can still be achieved easily with the help of a comb, hairspray, and a hair straightener.
Aside from the obvious hair cut requirement, there is very little involved with this hairstyle. Here is how to achieve a polished bob look:
- Step 1: Comb out hair. Your hair does not need to be wet.
- Step 2: If your hair could use a little volume, gently back-comb (rat out) your hair at the base of the crown. Do not back-comb too hard as this can cause your hair to break and become brittle.
- Step 3: Use the hair straightener on any parts that may be curling or not forming correctly.
- Step 4: Spray with hairspray.
Effortless Hair Care
If what you're really needing is simple ways to keep your hair healthy and shiny, then here are a few ideas:
- Don't wash your hair every day (your hair actually doesn't need to be washed daily!).
- Stop blow drying your hair (the heat damages and drys out hair).
- Use hair straighteners and curling irons sparingly.
- Use organic, probiotic-rich yogurt to condition your hair.
- Try going no-poo (shampoo-less).
- Massage your scalp for a few minutes when bathing to help stimulate circulation for a healthy scalp.
A healthy diet, plenty of sleep, and adequate exercise also contribute to healthy hair and scalp. Try to eat a diet rich in plant-based foods, get at least seven hours of sleep, and exercise regularly for beautiful hair!
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Danielle Lopez