Susannah studied journalism and is a writer both online and off. She lives in Australia with her family.
If you're anything like me, you've been trying to cure your dandruff for years. I have had dandruff for at least half my life and it started not long after I hit puberty. Pregnancy and breastfeeding made it even worse.
I tried washing daily, using Head & Shoulders, using apple cider vinegar, eggs, milk, lemon juice, you name it... nothing worked. I didn't really want to be put hard chemicals into my hair, so I kept putting off seeing a dermatologist.
But, I was getting to the point that even a slight scratch could draw blood and on a bad day, I could get a flake the size of half my fingernail. I even found that I sometimes had eyebrow dandruff!
I was desperate for some magical cure, although I seriously doubted there was any such thing. Then I stumbled on a solution, completely by accident. At the time, I was trying to get rid of some nits that my darling daughters had given me after bringing them home from daycare.
How to Get Rid of Dandruff in 12 Hours
Although I mention two ingredients, you can just use the one if you want. The second ingredient can help maintain a clean scalp for longer, though. So, with no further ado, here are the two main ingredients for my dandruff recipe.
Main Ingredients for My Dandruff Recipe
- Coconut oil
- Tea tree oil
- Shower cap (optional)
- Go to a place where some oil won't cause too much mess. You may want to do this over a sink or in the shower.
- Melt the coconut oil in your hands (only takes a few seconds) or on your scalp.
- Massage the coconut oil into your hair, with the main goal of massaging it into every inch of your scalp. If you have long thick hair, you may want to part it in several places for easier access to your scalp. You can use your fingers like combs to help spread the oil through your hair and into your scalp.
- Place a shower cap on your head and go to bed.
- In the morning, place some shampoo in your hand and mix in 1–2 drops of tea tree oil. Then shampoo your hair like usual, giving your scalp a good massage. Wash out the shampoo.
- You're done! Wait till your hair is dry and see how your scalp looks and feels. As a great side effect, your hair will also be shinier and silkier.
- Repeat monthly or as needed.
How It Works
Coconut oil is a moisturizer and anti-fungal and also rich in vitamin E. Tea tree oil is also an anti-fungal agent. Dandruff is often caused by a reaction to or a buildup of a yeast-like fungus called Malassezia. Both tea tree and coconut fight the overgrowth and the coconut oil also moisturizes and heals the skin.
Which Coconut Oil Should You Use?
When choosing coconut oil, it's best to look for one that's unrefined, virgin and organic. This guarantees that the coconut oil is as natural as possible and the enzymes and nutrients haven't been removed by high heat or manufacturing.
One of the best is Artisana Coconut Oil which is one of the most natural you can get and is a good price too. You can also buy it in separate sachets if you don't think you'll use it a lot; although coconut oil does have a long shelf life, it can start to get yucky after 1–4 years, depending on how you store it and how often it changes temperature.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Charis on April 04, 2019:
I hope this works!
Ana on February 18, 2018:
Works like a charm.
Jen on August 03, 2017:
How much coconut oil do you end up using? Just enough to cover your scalp?
Ashley on April 04, 2016:
Did this work on the dandruff you began experiencing on your eyebrows as well, or is there an alternative method you used for that?
LaFonda on February 09, 2016:
I will be trying this my Dandruff is exactly like you described. I'm am willing to try this. I'm am at my ends with my Dandruff. My next step is to cut all of my hair off. I pray that this works.
chuck on February 07, 2016:
Paul Mitchell makes Tea Tree shampoo that's great!
Suzzibell on October 08, 2015:
you can find tee tree oil in the ethnic section of hair care at walmart
wizmo on September 25, 2015:
Wow!! Super and easy tips.
greeneyedblondie on August 11, 2015:
Where can I find tree oil?