I enjoy giving tips on how to have wavy hair with natural, homemade products.
The Best Way to Apply Hair Gel
- To start, shampoo and condition your hair like you normally would.
- Once your hair is washed, towel dry your hair: it’s important to remove excess water from your hair for easier styling because too much water will weigh your hair down.
- Gel works best with damp hair, but if you don’t have time to wash your hair, or simply don’t want to, you can simply add some water onto your hair before you apply the hair gel.
- Once the excess water is removed from your hair, you can apply the gel.
- Select the right gel for the look that you want.
- Squeeze a small amount of the gel into the palm of your hand.
- Gently rub your hands together so that both hands have equal amounts of gel, then apply the gel evenly by brushing your hands through your hair.
- As the gel dries, make sure that your hair is drying in the shape that you want it.
- Using your hands, a brush or a comb, manipulate your hair so that the gel helps to hold the look that you want.
- Use a blow dryer to make the gel dry faster and to help shape your hair.
Hair Gel Tips
- If you want wavy hair, make sure that the gel reaches every part of your hair from the roots to the tips. When applying hair gel for a wavy look, grab chunks of your hair and scrunch them up as you apply the gel. If you are interested in getting beach-like waves with gel and mousse, check out my tutorial.
- If you want spikes in your hair: squeeze the gel onto your fingers and rub your hands together. Comb your gel-covered fingers through your hair from the front of your head to the back of your head. Then run your fingers up your head starting from the sides all the way up to the top. Continue to do this until the gel starts to dry and the spikes start to take shape.
- If you notice that the gel is taking a lot of time to dry or that your hair is being stubborn and not doing the effect that you wanted, apply heat. Blow-dry your hair using your fingers, a comb or a brush to help your hair take the shape that you want.
- If you are interested in straightening your bangs without using a straightening iron, you can use hair gel to straighten them instead. Check out my tutorial on how to straighten your hair using hair gel.
How to Choose Hair Gel
Depending on what type of hair gel you choose, your hair will take on a completely different look. Hair gels come in a variety of options, for short or long hair, curly or straight. They also have a variety of hold strengths.
- Light gel or foam gel is perfect for styles that don’t want to have stiff hair. If you want to give your hair more bounce and for it to still look soft, you would use a light gel. This type of gel is perfect for giving long hair extra body and for when you blow-dry your hair straight.
- Medium-hold gel works well for light wavy looks and for short hairstyles such as the disheveled bed head look.
- Stronghold gel will give your hair a very shiny look and it will make your hair feel and look harder. This is not ideal for looks where you don’t want the gel to show, because strong hold gel is very noticeable. This type of gel works great if you have short hair and want to give it a strong sturdy hold like in a spiky hairstyle. It is also perfect for holding up-dos in place and taming flyaways.
Depending on hair type, these rules may not apply, so if you notice that the hair gel you have selected is too heavy, try a lighter hair gel instead. Some hair types are thicker and more stubborn, again if you notice that the hair gel you selected is not holding enough try a stronger one.
Hair gel is a great way to style your hair because it gives your hair a shiny and sleek appearance. It is commonly used for giving hair strength and hold and it is often used to keep hairstyles in place and to tame stubborn flyaways. If you have hair that is wavy or curly, you can use the hair gel to enhance these curls or you can use it to help straighten your hair instead. You can also use hair gel to curl your hair. For short hair, it works very well for adding extra texture. The great thing about using hair gel is that there are lots of options available for every length and hair type. You can also make your own hair gel: it’s easy to make and it’s great for your hair! Check out these three different recipes to make homemade hair gel.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Thanks for visiting!
mwende aireen on March 23, 2019:
theks for your information they have realy educated me
sk on October 12, 2014:
Thanksgiving this nice guide
torrilynn on February 25, 2013:
i think that it is important to know how to apply gel to your hair.
this way if you are doing it the correct way all of your hair will be
properly styled and will hold the way you want it to hold.