How to Make Your Own Hair Lightening Shampoo
This product will work best on people with light brown to blonde hair. This doesn't mean brunettes and black haired people can't try this at all, it just means it'll take much, much longer to see the results.This is also best used during the summer months but it can help with the drab winter months as well.
What You Will Need
- Honey. This has a natural peroxide in it which lightens hair naturally over time. This isn't damaging to the hair at all so there isn't any problems or worries if you put too much in or use it too often.
- Lemon Juice. Anyone who has read or heard anything about lightening hair knows lemon can lighten hair naturally over time. I don't believe there is any damage in using this but some people say it can. The only problem I see if drying out your hair, and if you use it with all the other ingrediants then it shouldn't at all.
- Chamomile tea. This will only work if your hair is already blonde. This also isn't permanent and will only last a few days at the most. It still lightens blonde hair great though.
- Baking soda with a spoon. I use a measuring spoon just because it's flat and I know exactly how much I'm putting in. This isn't bad for your hair at all so you can use as little or as much as you want of this. Baking soda also isn't just known for people going no 'poo, it's also known as a whitener, or a lightener. This is also why people used to put it on their tooth brushes for brushing teeth to make their teeth whiter.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. This doesn't lighten hair at all, it's just a natural replacment for shampoo and conditioner. I personally don't use it because I think it smells bad when I put it near my face in the shower. That's the only reason though.
- Olive Oil. If you have normal hair like me or even oily hair do not use olive oil at all. It will make your hair look like it's soaking wet even when it's not and it'll make it extremely oily. If you have dry hair this should counter-act the lemon juices effect. I once put two table spoons of this in the mix and into my hair and my whole head was covered in oil. Other than that it's great for your hair.
- Hydrogen Peroxide. If you decide to put this in your hair only use it every once in a great while. This is the reason why sun-in damages your hair, because it uses hydrogen peroxide. Most people don't realize this and they use it in their hair every day. Hydrogen peroxide can lighten your hair a lot but use with caution.
- Empty spray bottle. To store and mix all the ingredients in. It's better than just putting it in a container and pouring it over your head hoping it reaches all of your hair.
- Boil 2 cups of water or less in a non-metal pot or pan or kettle. This is for the tea. If you use a metal container than it will chemically alter the tea and make it change so it won't lighten your hair.
- Turn the burner off and steep the tea for 30 minutes. When it's done it should look like a bright yellow color. [I read somewhere when learning how to do this the author said it should be the color of urine. If your urine is this color please drink about a gallon of water.]
- Throw the teabag away and pour the tea into the spray bottle.
- Take the lemon juice out and put as much as you'd like in the bottle. If you have short hair put smaller amounts in.
- Scoop about two table spoons of baking soda into the bottle. I know some people have bad reactions in it, if you do don't put any in or put in much less.
- Take the honey and pour about a tablespoon amount into the bottle.
- Add optional ingredients if you'd like.
- Put the lid on the bottle and shake extremely well. You don't want the bottom of the bottle to be full of honey.
- Once the mixing is done you should have a bright yellow liquid mix. Ideally you should use all of this mix in one shower on your hair. This doesn't have any preservatives in it might go bad if you leave it out. I live by the rule, "If you can't eat it, don't put it on your skin." If you didn't put hydrogen peroxide in it you should be able to eat it, I don't suggest it though. It probably won't taste good.
More by this Author
Helmets are a good idea to wear when you're riding, and hats are a great thing to wear when western riding. Here are some great hairstyles to go with those.
Buns can look boring, elderly, or over used, but not these fancy styles! All of these styles can work for people of all ages in all kinds of occasions.
When you're in between haircuts, trimming your own split ends can help make your hair look and feel healthier. Here are four different ways to get rid of split ends!
No comments yet.