How to Pick the Best Hair Color for Your Face
Picking a New Hair Color
Finding the right hair color to match with the different features of your face can be difficult. I used to think it was as simple as picking out a color that I liked. I quickly realized that the colors I was choosing were making my skin look washed out or making my eyes look dull. The right hair color will make your skin glow and your eyes stand out. These guidelines will help you pick out that perfect color without all the hassle of trial and error.
Your Natural Hair Color
When choosing a new hair color it is important to think about your natural hair color. The very best hair color will only be a shade or two lighter or darker than your natural hair color. This will make it easier to maintain and your roots less obvious.
You only want to color your hair once every six weeks so it has time to recover from some of the damage done by coloring treating it. Your natural hair color can also tell you about how difficult it will be to color your hair.
- Very dark can be difficult to lighten, but it is easy to put low lights or red tones in.
- Red is difficult to lighten and sometimes may need to be colored twice so the red does not show through.
- Medium-brown hair is usually easy to color but sometimes red or orange tones can come out when bleaching.
- Blonde hair is easy to lighten, but it can be easy to damage.
Choosing a Color Based on Your Skin tone
First, you need to determine whether you have warm-toned skin, cool-toned skin, or a neutral skin tone. An easy way to tell is by looking at your veins. If the veins on your wrists are blue then you have cool-toned skin. If your veins look green then you have warm-toned skin. If you have both or somewhere in between, then you have neutral-toned skin. Listed below are the kinds of colors that suit each skin tone.
Warm Skin Tones
When choosing a hair color for warm skin tones it is best to stick with warm colors.
- For fair skin, a warm golden blonde will look great.
- For darker skin, a warm brown might be especially flattering.
- For medium colors of skin, a shade of copper could bring out a lovely glowing complexion.
- Warm shades of red could look good for either.
- Avoid colors like Ash and colors with blue or purple hues.
Cool Skin Tones
When choosing a hair color for cool skin tones it is best to stick with cool colors.
- For fair skin colors, ash-blonde would look nice.
- For darker skin colors like red with blue undertones or burgundy will look stunning.
- For medium colors, you can go with either lighter or darker cool shades just stay close to your natural color.
- Avoid colors with orange, yellow or reddish undertones.
Neutral Skin Tones
You are lucky you can go either way with a warm golden color or a deep burgundy.
- The best way to choose the right color for a neutral skin tone is by finding a color that makes your eyes pop.
- You have many color choices just remember to stay within a few shades of your natural color.
Eye color is another great way to determine your perfect hair color. The color that you choose should make your eyes pop and stand out.
- Warm skin tone and blue eyes: The best hair colors will be golden browns, honey blondes, and chestnut browns.
- Cool skin tone and blue eyes: Hair colors like platinum blonde auburn and burgundy really bring out the eyes.
- Warm skin tone and green eyes: Red always looks great with green eyes it really makes them stand out. For warm skin tones try colors like auburn or strawberry blonde. If you want something more brunette, then pick a brown color with red undertones. Black also looks fabulous.
- Cool skin tone and green eyes: Red still looks great or try a copper color. If you want to try a blonde shade platinum blonde or gold may look nice. Darker shades of brown and black look stunning with light green eyes.
- Warm skin tone and brown eyes: Dark browns look wonderful with this combination of skin tone and eye color. Deep colored reds are another good combo. Deep rich colors look the very best with brown eyes.
- Cool skin tone and brown eyes: Dark browns look great with skin tone and eye color. Lighter brown colors like honey or colors with hints of blonde undertones look spectacular.
Warm skin tone and hazel eyes: This all depends on the colors you want to bring out in your eyes. To bring out golden colors try deep browns and maybe a color like auburn. To bring out the green in your eyes go more for reds. When you have hazel eyes you have more room to play with color. Stick with warm colors and whatever colors bring out your favorite color in your eyes.\
Cool skin tone and hazel eyes: Blondes and light browns look great. You can play around more with colors when you have hazel eyes. Reds look really nice but try a more mellow shade; anything too vibrant could wash you out. Stick with colors for cool-toned skin and find what brings out your favorite colors in your eyes.
What Hair Color Is Best for My Face Shape?
Highlights in your hair can make a huge difference in your appearance. Highlights can add depth texture and a little flare. The best way to determine where to place your highlights is your face shape.
- Place the highlights evenly throughout your hair.
- Another good way to highlight a square face is to have bigger thicker streaks framing your face.
- Low lights look great with this face shape.
- Try putting low lights towards the top half of your hair.
- If you choose to go with highlights, try just highlights the ends or maybe only the lower half. This will elongate your face.
- Lightening the very ends makes a long face look shorter and a lot less narrow.
This can be one of the trickiest.
- You want to try to highlight near the chin area to keep the chin from appearing to narrow.
- Low lights look great too, but stay away from the chin area when low lighting a heart-shaped face.
Reminder: Whenever getting highlights, remember to choose colors that go well with the rest of the all-over color. Stay a couple of shades lighter or darker than the base color anything more might look less than flattering.
- How to Lighten Your Hair Naturally at Home
Tips to naturally lighten your hair at home. These tips use natural ingredients, are inexpensive and will not cause much damage to your hair. These methods are fast and easy to use.
- How to Darken Your Hair Color Naturally at Home
How to darken your hair color with natural products at home. Use ingredients like cocoa and sage.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.