Silver Q loves doing research about anything she finds interesting. She hates talking in the third person.
Got Tangled Hair?
I hate getting out of the shower. It's so relaxing in there, and I sing at the top of my lungs. But the main reason I hate getting out of the shower is that I hate having to untangle my hair afterward. It becomes such a mess!
Fortunately for me, I have found many tips and tricks that have helped ease my untangling pain. If you have the same problem as I do, I'm sure you will find these tips on how to untangle hair useful.
Tools for Untangling
You gotta have the right tools to untangle your hair effectively. Thankfully, none of them are too expensive. Here are some of the tools that will make untangling easier:
- Wide-tooth comb
- Natural bristle hairbrush
- Leave-in conditioner
- Jojoba oil
- Olive oil
- Aluminum foil
Don't get scared. You won't be needing all these things at the same time.
Methods to Untangle Hair
- Brush your hair before getting in the shower.
- When drying your hair, do not rub it with a towel. This will just make it more knotted.
- Wait until your hair is damp before brushing or combing it.
- Before combing your hair, apply a leave-in conditioner or anti-frizz. You can make your own leave-in treatment by mixing water, aloe vera, and jojoba oil. Place the mixture in a spray bottle and use it as needed to detangle your hair.
- Once your hair is damp, use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle your hair.
- Brush your hair at night before going to sleep. If you wake up with serious knots, try changing your pillowcase to one made of satin or silk. This will allow your hair to slide on the pillowcase and will leave you with fewer knots.
How to Dry Your Hair to Prevent Tangles
The easiest way to detangle hair is to prevent tangles. Many tangles are caused right after the shower, in the process of drying it. Here's how to do it.
- Wrap the towel around the tips of your hair and squeeze to get rid of excess water. Work your way up to the roots of the hair using this same process.
- Wrap a towel around your hair and leave it on while you dry your body, apply makeup, and get dressed. This will get rid of any extra water left in your hair.
How to Comb Your Hair Properly
- After removing the towel from your hair apply a leave-in conditioner. Make sure that the product you use doesn't contain any alcohol, as this will only dry your hair and cause more tangles.
- Massage the leave-in conditioner in your hair. Proceed to detangle it, preferably using your fingers or a wide-tooth comb.
- Comb your hair starting from the tips and working your way up. Never comb from top to bottom. This will only bring down the knot and break your hair.
- If you have a stubborn knot, apply more conditioner or oil directly to the knot. Massage it with your fingers until you undo it. Never try to comb a stubborn knot. It will be painful and will damage and break your hair.
- If your hair is really tangled up, you can apply a leave-in conditioner or olive oil (which will moisturize and nourish hair), and then wrap your hair with aluminum foil for 20 minutes. You will notice how your hair becomes much softer and easier to comb.
- If you don't have any hair products available, using a natural bristle brush to untangle your hair will make it easier.
The Power of Anti-Frizz
The purpose of anti-frizz is to cover the root and soften and seal the cuticle. It is wonderful against tangles and knots! Apply it when hair is wet, starting from the scalp all the way to the ends.
External Factors That Can Tangle Your Hair
- Riding a convertible with the top down: Tie your hair in a ponytail with the ends tucked in.
- Windy weather: Use a hair net to prevent it from tangling.
- Sleeping: Use a sleeping cap or change your pillowcase to one made of satin or silk.
- Beach: Apply leave-in conditioner before going to the beach. The conditioner combined with the heat will give you the effect of a hot oil treatment. If you get in the water, rinse your hair with fresh water and re-apply the conditioner.
More on Taking Care of Your Hair
- Eleven tips to make hair grow fast
Tips and home recipes to make hair grow faster, healthier and shinier.
- How to use coconut oil for hair
Coconut oil is a wonderful way to keep beautiful inside and out.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Kristen Howe from Northeast Ohio on September 25, 2015:
Great hub, Silver Q. Very useful with these various ideas.