How to Dye Your Hair Blonde Without Bleach
Bleach is one of the most important products at your disposal for achieving blonde hair, but what happens if you're very sensitive to the product, or you simply don't want to use it? Bleach does have its drawbacks, but luckily, it's not always necessary to use it. If your hair is light enough, it is possible to get blonde hair without bleach. You can use a high lift dye or even regular permanent dye in many circumstances. There are even some natural methods if your hair is light enough.
How to Lighten Hair Without Bleach
There are a few methods out there if you want to lighten your hair without the use of bleach.
- High lift dye
- Lemon juice
- Chamomile tea
Of the available options, high lift dye is the most potent in reaching a blonde hair color. Keep in mind that your hair can't be darker than light brown for these methods to noticeably lighten your hair. Anything darker will certainly require bleach if you want to go blonde. Check out this article for advice on bleaching hair.
What to Know Before Using a High Lift Dye
You can get blonde hair without bleach by using a high lift color. However, your hair does need to meet certain criteria for it to work. If your hair doesn't meet these requirements, the dye will either not work at all or it will not lighten your hair all the way to blonde.
- No permanent dye should be present in your hair.
- It can't be darker than light brown.
High lift dyes can't lighten darker hair colors to blonde. Unfortunately, bleach is the only option in those cases.
For a high lift dye to work, your hair has to be free of any permanent dye. Color doesn't lift color. If you have any permanent hair dye, or even darker temporary colors, you'll have to remove it. You may have to cut your hair and wait for it to grow. Check out this article for a more detailed look on using a high lift dye.
Choosing a High Lift Dye
The high lift blonde dye you choose needs to be an ash tone. You may not want ash blonde hair, but this will not be the result because of the way the color works. The ash tone is required to neutralize all the orange and yellow pigment that appears as it lightens. If you use a warmer shade, you will end up with orange or yellow hair. You have been warned.
Because you need as much lift as possible, and a strong toning effect, you need to choose a salon dye here. Supermarket box dyes won't work because they're neither high lift dyes nor powerful lighteners in general. You can't lighten your hair properly using them unless it is already close to what you want. You need an actual salon brand like Indola or Matrix for dark hair. I would recommend for a lift booster designed to be mixed with their high lift dyes. You can add this product to any high lift dye to increase the lightening effect. Igora Royal's 0-00 blonding creme
Applying a High Lift Dye
High lift dye is an effective way to lighten hair that is already dark blonde, or at least light brown. For hair that is darker, you will need to use bleach in order to dye it blonde. Hairdressing is all about using the right product for the right hair in order to end up with a color that looks great and makes you feel good. Here is how you go about applying your high lift dye.
- Mix your hair color and 40 volume developer in a bowl. Mix them in a ratio of 1:2.
- Put on gloves and old clothes for protection.
- Part your hair into four sections. Put up three sections with clips. The loose section is where you will start applying your mixture.
- Begin applying the mixture to your hair with a dye brush. Use your hands to run the color throughout your hair.
- Leave the color in your hair for as long as instructed. The average time is usually around 45-60 minutes. Be sure to check your hair color at different intervals. If you get your desired shade early, you can wash the color out.
- Wash out the color with water until it's gone. Shampoo and condition like you normally do.
Whilst high lift dyes are designed to lighten and tone hair simultaneously, the results you achieve may still be brassy. It's the lightening effect that is most important. If your hair turns out brassy, this can be corrected with a toner to finish the color off.
Apart from this, your hair care regime after using a high lift dye should be much the same as if you had bleached your hair. Protein treatments, deep conditioning, and leave-in products are all beneficial for your hair after using a high lift dye.
What Is Your Favorite Shade of Blonde?
Lightening Hair With Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is a great natural method to lighten hair. If your hair is light brown, it could give you the appearance of blonde hair. The citric acid in the juice is a weak oxidizing agent that reduces the melanin in your hair.
- Get a hold of lemon juice that is freshly squeezed. How much juice depends on how long your hair is and how much you want to lighten. If you have long hair and want to lighten it all, you'll likely need at least two cups. Bottled organic lemon juice works if you can't squeeze any lemons.
- Mix the lemon juice with water. The ratio should be two parts lemon juice to one part water.
- Place the mixture in a spray bottle and spray it on your hair. Use a comb to spread it throughout your hair. If you only want to lighten certain spots, section your hair off and spray those parts.
- You will need heat to activate the lemon juice in your hair. If it is a warm and sunny day, you could go outside for a few hours. The sunlight will work in tandem with the juice to lighten your hair. If the weather outside is not suitable, you can use a blow dryer on the highest setting.
- Repeat this process as often as necessary. Keep in mind that the acidic lemon juice will dry out your hair with frequent use. Use a deep conditioning treatment to help moisturize your hair.
Using Honey to Lighten Hair
Honey serves as a natural moisturizer and can has a small lightening effect on hair. Lighter hair shades can go blonde with the use of honey.
- Create a mixture of one cup of raw honey, two cups of distilled vinegar, a tablespoon of olive oil, and a tablespoon of ground cinnamon.
- Apply the mix to damp hair. You can use a comb to spread the mix throughout your hair. If you only want to apply it to certain sections, separate your hair.
- Leave the mixture in your hair overnight. Use a shower cap or a plastic wrap. Rinse the mixture out in the morning.
- This method takes time, so it may take repeated sessions.
Using Chamomile to Lighten Hair
Chamomile tea has natural chemicals that help lighten hair. Using this substance can lighten your brown hair by two or three shades.
- Steep five tea bags in two cups of hot water. Allow it to steep until the water cools.
- Put the tea into a container and pour it over your damp hair. Alternatively, you can soak your hair into the tea.
- Allow your hair to dry out.
- Repeat this process every few days until you get your desired color.
Do you need advice to dye your hair blonde? Leave a question in the comments below for tailored advice and share your insight with other readers.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.