How to Dye Your Hair Blue at Home Without Chemical Dyes
How to Dye Your Hair Blue Without Hair Dye
Sometimes it is fun to try unusual, unnatural hair colors. Experimenting is even more fun when you don't have to worry about damaging your hair.
Here are some fun and easy ways to try blue hair color at home without causing damage. These techniques are semi-permanent, will fade out over time, and can easily be removed.
Any time you are trying to color your hair something bright or dark, remember that the lighter your hair is, the more the color will stand out. If you have very dark hair, you may want to lighten it with bleach first. If you don't, the new color will be a less-saturated wash or tint.
Use Blue Food Coloring
Food coloring can be used to temporarily dye your hair; it will wash out completely within a month. If you want to keep your hair bright and vibrant, try recoloring every couple of weeks.
What You Will Need:
- blue food coloring
- your usual conditioner
- a paintbrush (to use as a mixer and applicator)
- shower cap or plastic bag
- a small bowl
- Put a half a cup of your conditioner into the bowl.
- Stir in a few drops of food coloring.
- Check to see if this shade is dark enough— if not, add some more.
- Once you have the shade you want, start to apply the dye.
- Apply evenly and carefully.
- Leave the dye in for five or six hours. You may want to cover with a shower cap or a plastic bag to prevent stains.
- Wash it out with water.
- Towel dry your hair.
Avoid washing your hair for a couple of days afterward. Washing too soon will make the color fade more quickly.
Use a Drink Mix (Like Kool-Aid)
You know that drink mix that always stains your counter? It can also dye your hair! This is a really inexpensive way to get your hair a vibrant shade of blue. Here are some brands that work:
- Crystal Light
- Gatorade mix
- Jell-O (not a drink mix, but this works too)
- Any generic kind of powdered drink mix
What You Will Need:
- A packet of your blue drink mix of choice
- Half a cup of conditioner
- A small bowl
- A paintbrush for an applicator (optional)
- Take your drink mix and pour it into the bowl.
- Next, add the conditioner, then mix really well.
- Once everything is mixed you can start to apply the dye to your hair. Try to apply it as evenly as possible to avoid a streaky look.
- Leave it in for at least five hours, then rinse with water and towel-dry.
- Try not to wash your hair for a couple of days so the dye does not start to fade too quickly.
Is Blue Hair Natural?
Blue is a hard color to find in nature. Well, at least finding natural blue things to use as dye is difficult. The ingredients I include here are not natural and do contain chemicals, but they are much safer for your hair than using chemical dyes.
How Can I Make the Blue Last Longer?
- If you want to seal in the color and make it last longer, you can rinse with vinegar before washing the dye out. This locks in the color so your blue hair stays bright and vibrant longer.
- Also, remember that the lighter your hair is, the better the results. If it's not as bright as you want it, you may have to bleach and try again later.
- Try not to wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner right after using any of these coloring techniques. The longer you wait to wash, the longer the color will stay.
- If you don't like the results and want to get your hair back to its natural color as fast as possible, try Color Oops. You can buy this stuff at most grocery and drug stores, anywhere that you buy dye. This stuff works really well. I was even able to get black hair dye out with this stuff. It's also full of vitamins so it leaves your hair soft and silky-smooth.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.