Brittanie loves sharing her knowledge on natural health and beauty.
How to Dye Your Hair Blue Without Hair Dye
Sometimes it is fun to try unusual, unnatural hair colors. Experimenting is even more fun when you don't have to worry about damaging your hair.
Here are some fun and easy ways to try blue hair color at home without causing damage. These techniques are semi-permanent, will fade out over time, and can easily be removed.
Any time you are trying to color your hair something bright or dark, remember that the lighter your hair is, the more the color will stand out. If you have very dark hair, you may want to lighten it with bleach first. If you don't, the new color will be a less-saturated wash or tint.
Use Blue Food Coloring
Food coloring can be used to temporarily dye your hair; it will wash out completely within a month. If you want to keep your hair bright and vibrant, try recoloring every couple of weeks.
What You Will Need:
- blue food coloring
- your usual conditioner
- a paintbrush (to use as a mixer and applicator)
- shower cap or plastic bag
- a small bowl
- Put half a cup of your conditioner into the bowl.
- Stir in a few drops of food coloring.
- Check to see if this shade is dark enough— if not, add some more.
- Once you have the shade you want, start to apply the dye.
- Apply evenly and carefully.
- Leave the dye in for five or six hours. You may want to cover it with a shower cap or a plastic bag to prevent stains.
- Wash it out with water.
- Towel dry your hair.
Avoid washing your hair for a couple of days afterward. Washing too soon will make the color fade more quickly.
Use a Drink Mix (Like Kool-Aid)
You know that drink mix that always stains your counter? It can also dye your hair! This is a really inexpensive way to get your hair a vibrant shade of blue. Here are some brands that work:
- Crystal Light
- Gatorade mix
- Jell-O (not a drink mix, but this works too)
- Any generic kind of powdered drink mix
What You Will Need:
- A packet of your blue drink mix of choice
- Half a cup of conditioner
- A small bowl
- A paintbrush for an applicator (optional)
- Take your drink mix and pour it into the bowl.
- Next, add the conditioner, then mix really well.
- Once everything is mixed you can start to apply the dye to your hair. Try to apply it as evenly as possible to avoid a streaky look.
- Leave it in for at least five hours, then rinse with water and towel-dry.
- Try not to wash your hair for a couple of days so the dye does not start to fade too quickly.
Is Blue Hair Natural?
Blue is a hard color to find in nature. Well, at least finding natural blue things to use as dye is difficult. The ingredients I include here are not natural and do contain chemicals, but they are much safer for your hair than using chemical dyes.
How Can I Make the Blue Last Longer?
- If you want to seal in the color and make it last longer, you can rinse it with vinegar before washing the dye out. This locks in the color so your blue hair stays bright and vibrant longer.
- Also, remember that the lighter your hair is, the better the results. If it's not as bright as you want it, you may have to bleach and try again later.
- Try not to wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner right after using any of these coloring techniques. The longer you wait to wash, the longer the color will stay.
- If you don't like the results and want to get your hair back to its natural color as fast as possible, try Color Oops. You can buy this stuff at most grocery and drug stores, anywhere that you buy dye. This stuff works really well. I was even able to get black hair dye out with this stuff. It's also full of vitamins so it leaves your hair soft and silky-smooth.
Read More From Bellatory
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
I would love to hear what you think; leave a comment
Wild Wolf on July 13, 2020:
but blue food coloring is the opposite of natural. and isnt this supposed to be natural?
Lilly on July 02, 2020:
I am dyeing my hair with Jell-O can’t wait! Hope it works
Briella Davis on June 09, 2020:
you can super temorarily dye your hair by coloring on it with crayola ultra washable clean ultra lavable markers, comes out after 1 wash and doesn't tint hair
Amanda on May 14, 2020:
it was a waist of time didenet even work !
amanda on May 14, 2020:
i am doing jello hope it works
sophia on April 29, 2020:
i have alwase wanted to dye my hair and i did not want it pernenent and now i can
Shannon on April 25, 2020:
The food colouring didn't work. What a waste of time!
Addison Mynatt on April 11, 2020:
Food dye does not work I wasted half of my day for just softer hair
melolll on March 14, 2020:
you can also lighten your hair up with lemon juice by spraying it onto your hair and letting it sit in the sun for an hour. then you can wash your hair normally.
Alesha .s on June 22, 2019:
Good to know that i can colour my hair without any harm
Wavy on May 30, 2019:
It takes too long and now i can’t
Nola on April 09, 2019:
I rly want to dye my hair but... now i can
Ella on January 13, 2019:
The first way to “ semi dye your hair does not work the Slightest bit because when you wash it out all of it comes out there was not a speck of blue in my hair when I did it so I highly recommend you do not do the first one unless you do not watch it for a couple days or put water
Elisa on June 30, 2018:
hey its me again .i live in Malaysia
kyleigh on May 19, 2018:
dyeing hair with Jell-O can`t wait!
Jennamarieziser on May 05, 2018:
I don't know what everyone in the comments is complaining about. I put blue and purple food coloring dye mix in my hair about an hour ago and washed a little piece of it out and it's bright and very noticeable. I love this! I've tried about 6 different ways already and this is the only way that I found that works and stays in. Thank you!
haley on September 29, 2017:
can you use food colouring to dye your hair other colours too, like pink, orange or even blonde?
Haley on August 24, 2017:
I am going to be trying the conditioner with Kool aid/ jello and some other method, ( boiling water adding Kool aid and dip die. ) and the blue coloring method , will respond which was best!!
Jumaina muzni on August 17, 2017:
I want to colour just a strip of my hair how will I cover my hair
Stephanie on July 30, 2017:
LOVE THIS Its , amazing fantastic I had dyed it in lighty brown and its all works thanzz :) I have no words ty thank you
Khansa on July 28, 2017:
It's me again!
Last time i commented that 'I think it'll work', but I tried it and nothing happened!!! NOTHING!!!!
It was a waste of time and money!!!!
I waited for 6 FREAKING hours and when i rinsed my hair, the color came out with the conditioner!!!
No offense but your method sucks!!!
You have to do so much better than that Brittanie Pervier!!!
I trusted your method!!!!
And it betrayed me!!!
Such a waste of time!!!!
Khansa on July 23, 2017:
The First One is damn awesome!!!
I'll try this!
I think it'll work!!!
Bat man on March 23, 2017:
How long is the dye supposed to stay
Carefree,Desperate Blondy on March 12, 2017:
Thnx 4 da advice not allowed 2 dye hair so instead of arguing wit my mom bout hair and dye I can just sneak in some food coloring
Beka on February 24, 2017:
Thank you all I will do this
luna on January 11, 2017:
I have dark hair will this work
lucy on December 16, 2016:
i tried this and it didnt work i wouldnt recomend trying this
Trisha F. on October 27, 2016:
This was very helpful. I havent done it yet but I really do hope it works! #bluebeautifulhair
manu on October 14, 2016:
does this even work on black hair..??
Jenny on August 06, 2016:
I' m sorry but this title is misleading. Foid coloring and drink mixes (again, food coloring) are synthetic chemicals. They may not be as harsh as hair dye, but they are still synthetic chemicals that are not good for you.
Carmelita on June 02, 2016:
I will be doin this the weekend . Thanks alot
brittanieJ0909 on July 09, 2015:
I love your color!
Kat on July 08, 2015:
The black henna dye (Indigo) can give a blue colour naturally. I have light blonde hair, and so the darkest I can get my hair is a dark blue with he henna
Jewel on April 04, 2015:
My hair looks great that if such a good idea I would've never thought of that
Rawwr on July 30, 2014:
I tried dying mine with kool aid in November of 2013 and it's still fading out it looks like I have ginger tips I'll try the food coloring dye tho it seems fun
swag_it_out_anaiyah on March 03, 2014:
Blue is my favorite
color so pretty
Kekko on April 29, 2013:
Ho there, my hair is a complete disaster its pink, red, orange, brown, anyway I have dyed it far too many times trying to fix it I need to find a way to strip the color right down with out much further damage, I know there will be some damage but not so much as the effect bleach would have, please help
erikha on November 26, 2012:
wow this is so cool i'll try it out
Brittanie Anne (author) from Seattle WA on September 22, 2012:
Thank you for commenting let me know how it turns out :)
belleart from Ireland on August 20, 2012:
I love this! I never knew you could do this! I have pretty dark hair though, but i think i would prefer just a tint of blue :)