How to Chemically Straighten Hair at Home
Want straight hair without the fuss and the frequent visits to the salon? I have found online Keratin products that work effectively to straighten my frizzy hair for 3-4 months at a fraction of the salon costs.
My hair is very thick and frizzy straight out of the shower. Over the years, I have learned to keep it short and pulled back into a ponytail to keep the frizziness away. Until recently I started straightening my hair with an iron. It definitely improved my appearance but takes away precious minutes in the morning. I am not a morning person and every minute counts!
Thankfully, I have found this home treatment that is a fraction of the cost of permanent straightening offered at salons. It is also very simple.
The most effective at-home keratin I have found is a product called Coppola Keratin Complex.
- It comes in an 8 oz bottle and will last at least 8 treatments. At under $100 per bottle, that equates to a little over $10 a treatment! This definitely beats the typical $200 -$400 salon charges.
- It is available for purchase online for anyone (not just salon owners).
- First, thoroughly shampoo your hair twice, wash it, and dry it.
- Divide your hair into small sections and apply keratin with gloves on. Comb it evenly through hair. (Note: Make sure you are in a well-ventilated area. There will be strong fumes. Place a towel under hair to keep clothing from getting stained. Also, please wear gloves!)
- Make sure that the entire head is well coated. Now, let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Dry hair with a blowdryer after the 30-minute soak-in.
- Run a straightener through each strand at least three times. This will lock the product in for longer-lasting results.
- Keep keratin in hair for 72 hours without washing.
- Straighten your hair several times during the 72 hours to help penetrate the product within each strand.
- Keep from tying your hair back or placing it in a ponytail for the next 72 hours.
- Use only sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner here on out for longer-lasting results.
Where to Buy
There are several manufacturers that sell keratin online. I have had good success with both Global and Coppola. Amazon and Ebay are good sites to check for competitive pricing.
How It Works
There are four bonds in your hair:
It is the disulphide bonds that are altered when you heat your hair with a straight iron or when applying a chemical straightening agent such as keratin.
How Long Does Chemically Straightened Hair Last?
You can expect your hair to remain fairly smooth and straight for about 3 to 4 months. Don't be discouraged if you still have to pull out your straightening iron to smooth out from time to time.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.