How to Chemically Straighten Hair at Home
Want straight hair without the fuss and the frequent visits to the salon? I have found online Keratin products that work effectively to straighten my frizzy hair for 3-4 months at a fraction of the salon costs.
My hair is very thick and frizzy straight out of the shower. Over the years, I have learned to keep it short and pulled back into a ponytail to keep the frizziness away. Until recently I started straightening my hair with an iron. It definitely improved my appearance, but takes away precious minutes in the morning. I am not a morning person and every minute counts!
Thankfully, I have found this home treatment that is a fraction of the cost of permanent straightening offered at salons. It is also very simple.
The most effective at home keratin I have found is a product called Coppola Keratin Complex.
- It comes in an 8 oz bottle and will last at least 8 treatments. At under $100 per bottle, that equates to a little over $10 a treatment! This definitely beats the typical $200 -$400 salon charges.
- It is available for purchase online for anyone (not just salon owners).
- First, thoroughly shampoo your hair twice, wash it, and dry it.
- Divide your hair into small sections and apply keratin with gloves on. Comb it evenly through hair. (Note: Make sure you are in a well ventilated area. There will be strong fumes. Place a towel under hair to keep clothing from getting stained. Also, please wear gloves!)
- Make sure that entire head is well coated. Now, let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Dry hair with blowdryer after the 30 minute soak-in.
- Run a straightener through each strand at least three times. This will lock the product in for longer lasting results.
- Keep keratin in hair for 72 hours without washing.
- Straighten your hair several times during the 72 hours to help penetrate the product within each strand.
- Also keep from tying your hair back or placing it in ponytail for the next 72 hours.
- Use only sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner here on out for longer lasting results.
Where to Buy
There are several manufacturers that sell keratin online. I have had good success with both Global and Coppola. Amazon and Ebay are good sites to check for competitive pricing.
How It Works
There are four bonds in your hair:
It is the disulphide bonds that are altered when you heat your hair with a straight iron or when applying a chemical straightening agent such as keratin.
How Long Does It Last?
You can expect your hair to remain fairly smooth and straight for about 3 to 4 months. Don't be discouraged if you still have to pull out your straightening iron to smooth out from time to time.