Hairstyles: Messy Buns
About a Messy Bun
Let's talk about a messy bun. A messy bun is a hairstyle that is fun, playful, and easy to create. It is amazing what a whimsical, clever hairdo does for a woman.
Take an ordinary, plain-looking woman, sweep her hair up into a creative work of the hands, and in a snap, her plain jane look is replaced by a fun, fanciful, or elegant presence.
Do you like the feel and look of a messy bun? As you view the pictures included in this article note how a woman's look completely changes with only slight variations in technique.
This article will provide clear directions along with video illustrations to help you make creative, stylish and fun buns.
Hint: I have learned that this style works best with second and third-day unwashed hair.
A woman's hair is the crowning glory to her natural beauty. Hair styled creatively really does make a difference between a plain look and a drop dead gorgeous diva with appeal. You know it's true.
This article is dedicated to my granddaughters who are my inspiration for this topic. My girls look absolutely adorable when they throw their hair up into a messy bun. They are always coming up with new and different varieties of the messy bun.
I hope this article provides a few more ideas for my girls and for all who come to join in the fun. I advise you to watch the video as you read the directions. After watching and reading once, I believe the directions are all you will need to remind yourself of the steps.
Okay girls, let's get busy, experiment and have some fun. To my granddaughters—I can't wait to see your gorgeous faces framed in these special hairstyles.
Romantic Messy Bun
This style is so pretty and is a romantic version of the messy bun.
The young lady teaching this session is delightful and funny. I hope you'll take a few moments to watch it and implant it into your memory.
This romantic hairstyle is simple and it is quick. There's no need to wash your hair. In a hurry, no worries! Once you get this hairdo down you’ll put it together in no time. Step out, turn heads with your carefree cutie patootie hairstyle.
- Start with well combed hair. Two to three day unwashed hair works great.
- Part it where you like it but try it different ways for variety and to open up possibilities.
- Separate the short sections of hair at the front from the rest of your hair.
- Pull the back hair to the side opposite your part and begin to twist it and wrap it around to form a bun.
- Use a hair tie to wrap around it and keep the bun in place.
- Start playing with various sections of the bun to loosen it up a bit.
- Use bobby pins to secure the bun in place.
- Loosen the hair at the top of your head with your fingertips to produce a not so neat look.
- Pull out little sections of hair if you wish.
- Take the front Section of hair and twist it by separating hair into 2 sections and twisting them around each other. This will create a cool rope texture.
- Bring it back around under the bun and pin in place.
- Use a tie that matches your outfit.
That's it! Now you try it.
An Easy Bun: Sloppy Jo
This is a super easy messy bun also called Sloppy Jo. It's fun and fast to create.
- Brush hair back (no part).
- Lift your hair up—think loose and baggy not slicked back.
- Pull hair up as if making a pony tail.
- Slip the band around the base of the pony and pull hair part way through.
- Twist rubber band around and bring end hairs up into the band.
- Go around with the band again if you want to or need to.
- Pull on hair in bun every which way to make humungous bun—it’s okay to have pieces falling out.
- If you want it higher push the bun with your thumbs from underneath. Pull the top hair toward your forehead make it higher on your head.
- Spray, and away with you.
Easy cheesy, girlfriend!
Off you go to have some fun. You look great!
Five Minute Summer Updo: Get Curls
This up-do includes curls so keep your hot iron handy. This is a super easy messy bun keeps the hair off your neck on a hot summer's day while offering an enticing feminine appeal.
- Place your bump in at the crown of your head. Tease hair a bit before placing it. Tease all around it to get the volume you are looking for. Spray with hairspray. If you do not have a bump it, just tease your hair until it makes a bump
- Smooth the hair over the teasing
- Pull all your hair back to the nap of your neck and put into a band. Wrap the band around the pony twice and then twist your hair around the ponytail and pull the band over the twist
- Pull out a few strands of hair to curl
- Pull hair down in front side bang. Grab a small strand from underneath and pull the rest back and tuck into bun
- On the other side of the bang pull a portion of hair out to get curled. Do not tuck it back as you did with the side bang.
- Use your curling iron to curl strands in the pony tail and strands at both front sides of your face.
- Spray hair and go
Voila, you have created an elegant and sweet messy bun with curls. It’s time for a date, where will you go?
Four Easy Messy Buns
Works best on 2nd and 3rd Day hair
Listen to some funky music as the model demonstrates each variation.
#1 High Messy Bun
- Part hair and put dry shampoo on scalp and work into hair to clean and add texture.
- Comb through hair thoroughly.
- Pull hair up to top of head as you hold base the rest waterfalls around it.
- Put your band around the outer waterfall hairs and at base, twist it and pull to other side; twist again and then pull hair into the messy bun look you want.
- Leave front pieces down.
#2 Boho Bun
- Pull hair up at the crown of your head. Now pull it forward and hold. Hair will be in your face.
- Place a headband under the section of hair you brought forward and over the hair in front to the middle of your forehead.
- Pull the hair in front of your head out of the headband. Now brush it back over the band in back.
- Leave front pieces out to drape over the headband across your forehead.
- Grab hair into a pony to create the bun.
- Twist hair into holder (leave ends out) and pull into the messy bun look by separating and twisting until you get the look you want.
#3 Side Braid Bun
- Part your hair on the side.
- Grab a section of hair at the top side and braid it—secure with a clear band.
- Repeat step two on the other side of the part.
- Grab all hair and pull back into a lower bun.
- Wrap band around several times pulling and shaping until desired look is achieved.
# 4 Double Poof Bun
- Grab the hair from the front on top of your head.
- Separate top section in layers.
- Tease each section and smooth.
- Take all sections together as one and twist at crown of head.
- Push hair forward to create the poof.
- Pin in "X" shape.
- Under the pinned hair tease again.
- Grab hair from both sides and smooth as you pull into hair at crown.
- Twist pull and shape into the look you want.
Now you have four more easy, messy buns to try and to share with your friends. Have fun creating your very own!
I hope you caught the vision and simplicity of the Messy Bun.
Now, my charge to you is to choose the style you like and get busy. I'd love to hear from you after you have created your very own messy bun. Tell me, was it as easy as the model makes it look? Did people notice? How did you feel with your new hairdo?
This hairstyle can create in no time!