Once I reached the "over 50" mark, I knew it was time to embrace the idea of aging gracefully. I like to share beauty and health tips.
The Natural Beauty of Your Gray Hair
A number of years ago I made the decision to go gray! The transition looked a little less stellar than I would have liked, but it didn't take long before I had a full head of silver-gray hair.
Now I would like to change up the style a bit. I grew it to a little below the shoulder, and cut it into a bob that was about chin length. The classic bob was probably the easiest and best all-around look so far. But I'm not decided yet (and overdue for my next hair styling session).
Time to peruse the latest photos for gray hair and mature good looks.
Pros and Cons of Length
Allow me to think out loud here. Growing hair takes quite a while to accomplish, especially as we age. There is more breakage, and things in general just don't seem to grow as fast. I know I have a lot more hairs falling out than when I was younger.
Whereas cutting it takes only as long as my appointment with a hairstylist. Less than an hour.
So, should I try to grow it to a long length or go ahead and stay with a mid-length cut?
Some Things to Consider
Deciding what lengths to go to in growing out hair.
- Long hair (below the shoulders) always draws my attention in hairdo magazines and photos. I always want to have long hair.
- However, long hair is harder to take care of, turns yellow easier, doesn't look as polished, gets frizzy more easily, and can look very messy.
- Short hair is limited and for me, tends to look disproportionate with my body (with some women it looks fantastic)
- Medium lengths are the compromise. They sometimes look exactly that- neither here nor there, and I want something that looks a little more stylish.
Post 2020 Notes
As I also posted in my original article, Silver Fox, Stunning Gray Hair Styles, I now have very long hair, whether I wanted it or not! For me, it is not a look I wish to stay with, and when I am able to visit the hair stylist again, the long locks are coming off!
For most mature women, medium hair lengths are the best, if you don't go shorter. While wearing the long length, a braid or updo works with it until one can get that easy-to-care-for medium bob!
Think About Texture and Skill Level
My hair texture is too think and wirey for some styles, and my skill levels are certainly low. I always ask my beautician if the look I want will work in my daily life, or is appropriate for my kind of hair.
A simple style that I can tie back on occasion, one that looks good with just a few minutes with a straitening iron are the reason I usually have a classic bob with a fringe of bangs.
Read More From Bellatory
Right now I am trying to grow it longer, however. The problem is that I am getting impatient with how it looks between cuts.
Light Texturizer that Gives a Lift
Flatiron For Smooth Shiny Locks
I still worry that a short spikey 'do will make me look like Phillis Diller on a bad day... or someone that forgot their Halloween "fright wig" was still on their head. However, just viewing some of these photos allays those fears. Be prepared to use styling products like "hair wax" or "hair taffy" to keep things looking good.
Some women look best with short hair, and it is very easy to take care of. Still, short spiked hair needs plenty of product in the form of gels and strong hold styling mousse.
It almost always looks professional and the only thing to remember is to schedule haircuts often enough to keep the lines crisp and well-kept.
This hairdo almost looks like a halo that showcases the fine bone structure. It could overwhelm a finer bone structure. Like someone stuck their finger in an electrical socket, maybe?
Know your face shape for the best hairstyle choice.
Silver: a State of Mind
It’s been a kind of liberation to have gray hair. I feel that beauty is not about subterfuge, it’s about authenticity
— Vicki Topaz
How to Make Loose Curls
Usually I ask for something in a medium length and when I do, it makes me happiest with how I look.
What are the main face shapes?
I am a diamond shape and some fringe across the top of my forehead, with layering near my face is often a great look. I can't decide on that or a sleek bob. The classics are a sure thing for an older woman. We just have to avoid getting stuck in a fashion rut.
I love that shorter length layered haircut with the flirty ends. It has a young look without trying too hard.
Layered Bob for Business
A State Of Mind
Styling Tips: Use the Right Hair Products
- Most of the hairstyles you see online will have plenty of hair products used to make them look that way. AND they will have a good cut. While both these are found at a professional salon, take the tips from a Silver Fox and order them at a discount online.
- The gray hair shampoo my readers love the most is by Pravana. The second most popular is Rene Furterer Okara Mild Silver Shampoo. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. I usually use Paul Mitchell's Forever Blonde, which does the same thing: cancels the yellow with violet toned ingredients.
- For me, with slightly wavy hair, plus the gray-hair frizzies, a flat iron is a must.
- Use a serum or pomade to bring out the shine- that makes a vital difference in the look of gray hair.
Shampoo to Keep It Silver
- Pure Light Pravana Shampoo Brings Out Silver Lights,...
One of the best tips for silver locks is to use a gentle shampoo that cancels the yellow and keeps the beauty of your gray hair. This is one of the best for you to try.
Helen Mirren's Role in Beauty
If you have medium textured, wavy hair, I hope these styles gave you some ideas. It is a way for me to keep track of the styles and tips that I am using myself.
If you have naturally curly hair, very fine or very straight coarse hair be sure to check with someone who knows hair how these styles would work for you.
Celebrate your uniqueness!
Audrey Howitt from California on January 14, 2016:
Love this! I am headed in this direction--and I love this look!
moonlake from America on October 17, 2015:
I have one, almost white spot in my bangs. I finally gave up trying to keep it dyed. The rest of my hair is not a good looking gray so guess I will keep dying. Enjoyed your hub.
Jackie Lynnley from the beautiful south on October 17, 2015:
I am loving grey and you have some really cute styles up there! Thanks.