Silver Fox Hair Styles For Medium Texture, Wavy Hair
Recap: The Natural Beauty Of Your Hair
Still Silver And Still Loving It
A number of years ago I made the decision: go gray! The transition looked a little less stellar than I would have liked, but it didn't take long before I had a full head of silver gray. I told the story in Silver Foxes.
Now I would like to change up the style a bit. I grew it to a little below the shoulder, and cut it into a bob that was about chin length. The classic bob was probably the easiest and best all around look so far. But I'm not decided yet (and overdo for my next hair styling session).
Time to peruse the latest photos for gray hair and mature good looks.
Medium Length, Soft Waves
Long Looks Good
Pros And Cons of Length
Allow me to think out loud here. Growing hair takes quite a while to accomplish, especially as we age. There is more breakage, and things in general just don't seem to grow as fast. I know I have a lot more hairs falling out than when I was younger.
Whereas cutting it takes only as long as my appointment with a hair stylist. Less than an hour.
So, should I try to grow it to a long length or go ahead and stay with a mid-length cut?
Here are some considerations
Deciding what lengths to go to in growing out hair.
- Long hair (below the shoulders) always draws my attention in hairdo magazines and photos. I always want to have long hair.
- However, long hair is harder to take care of, turns yellow easier, doesn't look as polished, gets frizzy more easily, and can look very messy.
- Short hair is limited and for me, tends to look disproportionate with my body (with some women it looks fantastic)
- Medium lengths are the compromise. They sometimes look exactly that- neither here nor there, and I want something that looks a little more stylish.
Think About Texture and Skill Level
My hair texture is too think and wirey for some styles, and my skill levels are certainly low. I always ask my beautician if the look I want will work in my daily life, or is appropriate for my kind of hair.
A simple style that I can tie back on occasion, one that looks good with just a few minutes with a straitening iron are the reason I usually have a classic bob with a fringe of bangs.
Right now I am trying to grow it longer, however. The problem is that I am getting impatient with how it looks between cuts.
Ask Your Hairdresser
Is the style right for my hair and lifestyle?
Are there special products or techniques I need to know?
Mid Length Feathered 'Do
I still worry that a short spikey 'do will make me look like Phillis Diller on a bad day... or someone that forgot their Halloween "fright wig" was still on their head.
Some women look best with short hair, and it is very easy to take care of. Still, short spiked hair needs plenty of product in the form of gels and strong hold styling mousse.
It almost always looks professional and the only thing to remember is to schedule haircuts often enough to keep the lines crisp and well-kept.
This hairdo almost looks like a halo that showcases the fine bone structure. It could overwhelm a finer bone structure. Like someone stuck their finger in an electrical socket, maybe?
Know your face shape for the best hairstyle choice.
It’s been a kind of liberation to have gray hair. I feel that beauty is not about subterfuge, it’s about authenticity— Vicki Topaz
Making Loose Curls
Shiny, Well Protected From Heat
Heat can create a yellowing of the hair shaft. This is especially true for gray hair, which I have found.
When flat ironing or using a curling iron, spray first with heat protectant.
Usually I ask for something in a medium length and when I do, it makes me happiest with how I look.
Lots Of Layering
What Are The Main Face Shapes?
I am a diamond shape and some fringe across the top of my forehead, with layering near my face is often a great look. I can't decide on that or a sleek bob. The classics are a sure thing for an older woman. We just have to avoid getting stuck in a fashion rut.
I love that shorter length layered haircut with the flirty ends. It has a young look without trying too hard.
I'm Diamond, What Are You?
Which shape describes your face?
Layered Bob for Business
Choosing a Style: What Face Shape Are You?
A State Of Mind
Shampoo To Keep It Silver
- Pure Light Pravana Shampoo Brings Out Silver Lights,...
One of the best tips for silver locks is to use a gentle shampoo that cancels the yellow and keeps the beauty of your gray hair. This is one of the best for you to try.
This Is Classic, And Short
Styling Tips: Use The Right Hair Products
* Most of the hairstyles you see online will have plenty of hair products used to make them look that way. AND they will have a good cut. While both these are found at a professional salon, take the tips from a Silver Fox and order them at a discount online.
* The gray hair shampoo my readers love the most is by Pravana. The second most popular is . I don't think you could go wrong with either of them. I usually use Paul Mitchell's Forever Blonde, which does the same thing: cancels the yellow with violet toned ingredients. Rene Furterer Okara Mild Silver Shampoo
* For me, with slightly wavy hair, plus the gray-hair frizzies, a flat iron is a must.
* Use a serum or pomade to bring out the shine- that makes a vital difference in the look of gray hair.
One 'N Only
Use products that won't yellow and cancel out the brassiness caused by too much sun. I like to put strong hold at the roots when styling, to give a lift to my hair.
Almost every hairstyle has that full look that remains only if you provide some hold. I personally don't like lots of hairspray and this product will give hold without lots of heavy spray.
- Gorgeous Gray Hair: How To Maintain Silver Locks
More women are finding that their gray and silver locks can be stunning. No need to color their hair and struggle with roots that need touch-ups. Stay gray and love your healthy hair.
Helen Mirren, Of course
- Helen Mirren's Style
Helen Mirren elicits admiration from many, including me, for her her mature beauty and elegant style. I've looked to her for clues in how I might gain this look for myself.
Which Styles Do You LOVE?
Do you have a favorite type of hairstyle? Tell us!
If you have medium textured, wavy hair, I hope these styles gave you some ideas. It is a way for me to keep track of the styles and tips that I am using myself.
If you have naturally curly hair, very fine or very straight coarse hair be sure to check with someone who knows hair how these styles would work for you.
Celebrate your uniqueness!
I could get a perm!
The Whole Look
More by this Author
Does your wardrobe need an uplift? Are you interested in looking great in your clothes? Try these trends on for size this summer.
So many women fight the appearance of gray hair. I say why not embrace this stunning look and make the most of it!