Kay's been an online writer for over eight years. She enjoys writing beauty and fashion.
Long, luscious locks have long been a symbol of femininity and sex appeal, and if you have short hair, you may be considering hair extensions. There are many options available to you, with a wide range of cost and maintenance levels.
In this article, we focus on one of the more affordable and manageable options: clip-in hair extensions. These come in a wide variety of colors, lengths, and styles. You can purchase human or synthetic clip-in extensions, but all reviews suggest that the human variety is preferred.
Clip-in hair extensions come with many benefits.
- They are easy and quick to apply—generally only taking five minutes when well-practiced.
- The extensions can be easily removed when desired and are great for when you’re hitting the gym or chasing a toddler and don’t want the long hair to burden you.
- Clip-in hair extensions also give you a lot of opportunities to change your hairstyle completely without damaging your natural hair. Many women and girls choose to use hair extensions for special occasions like weddings and proms. They can add extra volume to curly hairstyles and updos.
- One con that some wearers of clip-in hair extensions find is the routine of consistently having to put in the hair and remove nightly. It is highly recommended that you never sleep or swim with your hair extensions. If this is something that would be an inconvenience or bother, you may consider sew-in or glue-in methods of hair extensions.
- There have also been reviews of clip in hair extensions with complaints of irritation from the clips or hair pulling from the clips. This usually only occurs when you do not remove the extensions during sleep or strenuous activities.
- If you choose to wear your hair extensions when your scalp produces a lot of sweat, be sure to wash your extensions before your next use to prevent irritation. Those who have metal allergies also shouldn't wear clip-in extensions because your scalp will be exposed to the clips.
How Much Do They Cost?
Human clip-in hair extensions run at around $100 or more for quality hair that will last several months to over a year if well maintained. There are several brands of human clip in hair extensions that are considerably cheaper, but in reviews across the web, it is highly encouraged to spend a little more to be sure you are satisfied with your product.
Read More From Bellatory
Some brands of clip in hair extensions have been known to tangle and fall apart after a few wears so be sure to research the supplier and read reviews before purchasing. Always look for hair extensions that are guaranteed human Remy hair. Remy hair is human hair extensions that have the hair strands sewn together with the hair follicle all at the top of the wefts. This helps prevent breakage and makes for softer more natural-looking hair. When considering purchasing hair extensions, ask your local beauty store if they are aware of any times there are specials or discounts. These usually occur around the times when schools have formals and proms.
Clip-in Hair Extension Maintenance
Clip-in hair extension maintenance is quite similar to a healthy natural hair care routine.
- It is recommended by most professionals that you wash your extensions every three to four wears.
- Always use quality hair care products, and look for formulas that are sulfate-free. You can also extend the life of your extensions by using keratin products, heat protection products and other products such as Argan oil.
- Always be sure to use a very wide-toothed comb to brush through your extensions and when not wearing your extensions store them in a dry bag or box..
Kay Mitchell (author) from California on October 13, 2011:
Simone; Thanks for reading. I prefer clip in as well, they can last much longer and don't damage your natural hair!
MarleneB; I haven't tried dying my extensions yet, but have considered taking them somewhere to be dyed! For now, I just match my natural hair :) Thanks for reading!
Marlene Bertrand from USA on October 13, 2011:
I wear hair extensions, and agree that buying a good quality extension is most important. Human hair is my preference because I can dye the extension and my hair to an exact match. It's fun and easy to wear extensions. Thank you for listing the cons as well as the pros.
Simone Haruko Smith from San Francisco on October 12, 2011:
Very interesting! I had never thought about how hair extensions have to be washed just like normal hair. I'm definitely a fan of clip on extensions over the kind that's sewn in. Thanks for sharing the pros and cons!