I love to share advice and tips gleaned from my own experiences.
Dry Shampoo Powder vs. Dry Shampoo Aerosol
This review is about two different brands of dry shampoo powder. Redken 02 dry shampoo powder is expensive, but not as much as Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder dry shampoo. Bumble and Bumble dry shampoo powder would be considered a high-end product.
Dry shampoo powders are designed as an alternative to using an aerosol dry shampoo. They work just the same as the aerosols, but dry powder shampoo powder will not suit everyone.
They can take some getting used to, but after a few times of using it, you should get used to the application process of pouring the powder onto your roots. It is a little bit similar to how you would apply the aerosol dry shampoo to your hair.
Some people might prefer a powder instead of an aerosol as aerosols contain toxic ingredients that can be considered bad for the environment.
There are a few different types of dry shampoo powders on the market and their prices vary a lot compared to the aerosol dry shampoos which are way more affordable.
Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder
Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder dry shampoo powder is suitable for all hair types and is designed to treat oily hair. You can purchase this product in two sizes, 14 grams/0.5 oz. or 56 grams/2 oz. Unlike Redken dry shampoo this does contain a lot more ingredients. It is also quite easy to disperse this product throughout your roots using your fingertips once applied to your hair.
The product is not tested on animals and is PETA certified as a cruelty-free brand as well as being labeled vegan and vegetarian.
Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Montmorillonite, Tapioca Starch, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Silica, Polysilicone-22, Fragrance (Parfum), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linalool, Citronellol, Limonene, Coumarin, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Potassium Sorbate.
Texture and Colour
This powder is a very pale peach color and it also has an extremely fine texture. The powder does not clump and it is easy to get out of the bottle.
Once you have applied this powder to your hair, you should see instant results. Since it is a pale peach color it doesn’t seem to leave any residue on your roots. You do get a little bit of volume and it does help dry out the oily areas on your hair.
Bumble and Bumble Advantages
- This dry shampoo comes in two different sizes so you can try a trial size version before committing to a larger bottle.
- This product is PETA-certified cruelty-free.
- This dry shampoo does not dry out your hair and it keeps your hair looking shiny and smooth.
- After using this dry shampoo powder, your hair will have some texture and a little bit of volume.
- It is easy to comb through your hair with a brush after you’ve applied this dry shampoo.
- After a few applications, you will get faster at tapping the bottle to get the powder onto your roots.
- After applying this powder, you will not have any residue left on your roots.
- The 14 gram/0.5 oz. bottle could last you up to three months if you were using it two to three times a week.
- There is a very faint scent on this powder that smells nice but the smell doesn’t linger in your hair throughout the day.
Bumble and Bumble Disadvantages
- Compared to other dry shampoos on the market, it is quite expensive.
- You might have to shop around to find a retailer that stocks this product as it isn’t available on all online hair product websites.
- When you first use this product, it can be difficult to get the product out of the bottle, so this could put some people off using it. It takes a bit of practice to get used to using the bottle.
- This product has a faint fragrance but doesn’t have an overpowering smell.
- If you don’t apply it correctly it can leave your hair looking flat.
Read More From Bellatory
Redken O2 Dry Shampoo Powder
Redken 02 dry shampoo is marketed to those who have fine hair. It contains sodium bicarbonate to help relieve the oiliness in the hair and charcoal powder to prevent any irritation and to help keep the scalp clean as well as allow it to breathe. It’s also marketed as being suitable for all hair colors.
Redken which is now owned by L'Oreal, which states on its website that it does not test its products on animals or hire a third party to do any testing.
Zea Mays Starch / Corn Starch, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Bicarbonate, Charcoal Powder.
Texture and Color
This dry shampoo powder resembles the consistency of very fine baby powder and is a very pale grey color. It does seem to clump while it is in the bottle and it can be difficult to get the powder out of the bottle opener.
As long as you apply the correct amount of powder onto your roots, then you should have no problem. However, if you accidentally did put too much powder onto your hair, it is very hard to distribute the excess powder throughout your hair with your fingertips or a brush.
It does actually help to alleviate the build-up of oil on your hair and it also does help you to get an extra day of not having to wash your hair.
- It is probably one of the more affordable brands of dry shampoo powder on the market.
- Redken which is owned by L’Oreal no longer test their products on animals.
- There is a lot more product in this bottle so it should last you a good few months.
- It is also available on most online stores that sell hair care products.
- You get 60 grams/2.1oz of product in the bottle which is quite a lot compared to what some other brands have in their product.
- There is no fragrance in this dry shampoo powder and you won’t get an itchy scalp after application.
- You don’t feel like there is any product build-up on your roots after you have applied this dry shampoo.
- If you apply the correct amount of produce, then it can be easy to distribute it throughout your hair with your fingertips.
- This powder is talc-free.
- This dry shampoo does not add volume to your hair it only helps to alleviate the oiliness in your hair.
- If you shake the bottle too much while you are applying the dry shampoo powder to your hair, you can actually end up with too much powder on your roots.
- If you accidentally applied too much of this dry shampoo powder to your hair, it will leave a residue behind and no matter how much you brush your hair it’s hard to distribute it throughout your hair.
- You have to shake this bottle a couple of times when you are applying the powder to your roots as it seems to get stuck at the spout and it won’t come out of the bottle opening.
- The texture of this powder looks very similar to baby powder and while the texture is supposed to be fine it does seem to clump together while it is in the bottle. This means that you need to shake the bottle up each time before applying any powder to your roots.
- This product is only marketed to consumers who have fine hair which means that it isn’t suitable for every hair type.
- If your hair gets wet, it does seem to make your hair look a bit flat.
Applying Dry Shampoo Powder
You can apply dry shampoo straight to your roots by dispensing a little bit of the powder at a time or you can apply it to your fingertips and then spread them onto your roots.
Applying Dry Shampoo Powder Directly Onto Your Hair
The best way to apply this shampoo to your hair is to apply it in sections from left to right.
- Make a two-inch-wide segment to your hair from above your left ear and dust some of the powder onto your roots.
- Lay that down and go to the next section and then dust some more powder onto this section. Repeat this process till you get to above your right ear.
- Apply some of the powder onto your crown and then rub the powder throughout your hair with your fingertips.
- Comb your hair with a brush if necessary.
Price: Redken 02 dry shampoo is better value as it is cheaper than Bumble and Bumble and you get similar amounts of product in both bottles. 60 grams/2.1 oz in Redken and 56 grams/2 oz in Bumble and Bumble.
Ingredients: There are more ingredients in the Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder dry shampoo compared to Redken 02 dry shampoo. Some people might prefer using a product that has fewer ingredients.
Fragrance: There is no fragrance in the Redken 02 dry shampoo powder but there is a faint fragrance in the Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder dry shampoo powder.
Residue: Since Redken 02 dry shampoo is a very pale grey color, it can leave a residue on dark hair. For this reason, the Bumble and Bumble Pret-a-Powder might be a better choice as it is a pale peach color and doesn't leave a residue.
Application: The opening in the Redken 02 dry shampoo bottle can be troublesome when you are trying to get the powder out of the bottle onto your roots. It is a very thin slot where the powder comes out. Bumble and Bumble also have a thin slot on their bottle but it seems a lot easier to get the powder out and onto your roots.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Sp Greaney
Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on July 26, 2020:
@ Devika Primic, Thank you. Yes, I think everyone uses Batiste. I couldn't live without these products.
Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on July 26, 2020:
I have not used such shampoos for my hair you enlightened me on a new shampoo and I learned lots from this hub..
Sp Greaney (author) from Ireland on July 18, 2020:
@ Pamela, thanks. Yes your better off staying away from them. But also in this case it's a bonus for you. Redken products are good and much more affordable compared to Bumble and bumble.
Pamela Oglesby from Sunny Florida on July 18, 2020:
I have never used a dry shampoo as my hair is dry and I thought it would not look good. I like your suggestion of getting a trial size dosage to try it out. I think it would be nice to use a dry shampoo when you are in a hurry, Sp. I like the various Redkin products I have previously used. Thanks fr this excellent information.