Bumble and Bumble Sumotech - Pomade for Frizzy, Poofy, Unruly Hair
Raise your hand if you've ever felt personally victimized by your own hair. I'm raising my hand and typing this at the same time, which is proving to be quite a challenge.
When I was in high school, my hair began its slow metamorphosis from fine, soft girl-hair into the thick, wavy mass that it is today. I never really got to know my hair's true nature until I was in my early 20s.
In my teens, my hair was always long and cut bluntly. During my freshman year of college I got the ceremonial shoulder length hack job, with a flip. By the end of college, I had experimented the gamine pixie cut, a style that I still adore and have dabbled in since. Today, my hair is once again shoulder length, but the texture is exactly the same as it was in high school: fine, but very thick and wavy, with a tendency to frizz, get dry in the ends, AND POOF. This poof is the bane of my existence. I used to complain to my mother all the time about how my hair gave me a triangle head. Come to think of it, I still complain to her about this.
I have been lucky, however, in that my relationship with styling products has been much easier. I was introduced to Bumble and Bumble's Sumotech the first time I had my hair hacked off, pixie short. Many years, and many hair lengths later, Sumotech is still my go-to hair product. It has proven to be my favorite unruly hair tamer.
A 1.5 oz jar will last me about 6 months to a year depending on the length of my hair.
Bumble and Bumble Sumotech: 4 Reasons I Love It
- Low Maintenance: The main reason why I love Sumotech is that I am a super low maintenance gal. I don't like to spend a long time doing my hair, I prefer a messier "bed head" look, and I only use a blow dryer when I have to. The problem with a "low maintenance" look is that I often end up with some unattractive "low maintenance" frizz and pouf. Sumotech to the rescue!
- Bed-Head Look: Sumotech does the hard work for me by taming my unruly hair and making it look like it's naturally fantastic. Sumotech makes it look like I just rolled out of bed with this marvelously tousled head of hair. It has also proven to be the perfect texturizer/setting product for when I want to actually style it with a flat iron and/or blow dryer, but still want a "piecey" look. I've used it on every hair length: long, shoulder length, chin length, and pixie short.
- Texture/Scent: Sumotech is a white paste-like pomade. It's probably more of a wax, but unlike a lot waxes, it won't leave your hair greasy and there's no shine. I prefer a matte hair look, so this wax is great for me. It has a light, kind of citrusy/woody scent that's neither girly nor masculine. It works for both men and women.
- High-End, But it Lasts Forever: The jar may seem small, but a little goes a long way. One jar of Sumotech will last me anywhere from 6 months to over a year depending on how often I'm styling my hair (and how much hair I have) at any given time. Because it's Bumble and Bumble, it's a bit more pricey than a pomade that you'd find in a drugstore, but I think it's also a much better product than what you'd find in a drugstore.
Tips for Using Sumotech
- A finger-full dab of Sumotech will do you. When in doubt, start with a less and add more as needed.
- The product seems quite firm, but once you emulsify it (i.e. rub it between your hands), it becomes easier to manipulate. The emulsifying is important because if you don't, you'll end up looking like you have curds of cottage cheese in your hair.
- Scoop up a tiny bit with the tips of your fingers, rub your hands together, then – starting at the back of your head – work the product in at the ends only. Then work it evenly through the rest of your hair.
- If your hair is pixie short, know that the more product you use, the more "lift" you'll be able to get. Sumotech will give you lots of options: whether it be a faux-hawk, messy look, or a sleeker style, the world is your oyster.
- If your hair is longer, try combing it after applying for a smooth look. Otherwise, you can tousle it up for a more textured, messy style. Sometimes I will comb then tousle, then run my hands gently over the top layer of hair. I find this helps with frizz control and fly-aways.
Special Note: Having more volume is sometimes preferred. To get the a more voluminous look with Sumotech, simply apply less product (and only at the tips of the hair). You can also spritz a little hair spray or dry shampoo a the roots for added lift.
Questions & Answers
© 2013 Shay Marie