Homemade Deodorant-Antiperspirant: Basic, Easy Recipe
How to Make Your Own Cheap, Healthy Deodorant & Antiperspirant at Home
Ever wonder what is in your deodorant? What is it exactly that stops you from sweating? You may or may not have heard in the news in recent years that the ingredients commonly found in deodorants and antiperspirants may be harmful to your health. Aluminum, parabens, and other ingredients are believed to be linked to diseases such as breast cancer and Alzheimer's. Numerous studies have been done, yet results show conflicting data. I don't know about you, but I don't want to slather on potentially cancer-causing chemicals daily if I can help it.
Here is an easy recipe for homemade deodorant, adapted from LittleHouseInTheSuburbs.com. It's quick, cheap, and chances are you already have the ingredients. And if your current stick of deodorant is running low - perfect! You can use the container for your new and improved, healthy, homemade deodorant.
Homemade Deodorant Ingredients
Lineup of Healthy Ingredients and their Benefits
Coconut Oil: Antibacterial (fights the odor-causing bacteria on your skin), adds a smooth texture and a light, pleasant scent
Cornstarch: Acts as an antiperspirant and helps keep you dry
Baking Soda: Helps fight odor
Essential Oil: Adds a clean, healthy scent. Choose your favorite!
Tea Tree Oil: Antibacterial, helps fight odor
Old Deodorant Container: Allows you to apply your new, healthy, homemade deodorant the old fashioned way. No scooping out with your hands!
All of these ingredients are cheap and easy to find. Chances are you have most, if not all, of them in your home right now, and you can easily make multiple batches.
2 Tablespoons Baking Soda
6 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2-3 Tablespoons unrefined Coconut Oil
10-20 drops Essential Oil
10-20 drops Tea Tree Oil
1 empty, washed and dried deodorant container
1. Measure 2 T Baking Soda and place in a bowl. Mix in 6 T cornstarch.
2. Add 10-20 drops of your favorite essential oil, followed by 10-20 drops of tea tree oil. Mix well.
3. Add 2-3 Tablespoons coconut oil to the bowl and mix well. If you find the coconut oil is hard to mix it, you may warm it in the microwave for a few seconds, but it can become a bit crumbly. Don't worry, though, it will all go into the container just fine.
4. Make sure the container is clean, dry, and unwound, so that it can be twisted up later when it gets low. Pack mixture into the container, pushing it down with your fingers so that there are no air bubbles or gaps. We want to have a solid stick inside.
5. When you are finished packing in the mix, wipe off the edges and place on the cap. Put the deodorant container in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes, allowing the mix to set and firm up. You have just made your all natural, healthy, customized, homemade deodorant!
- Since coconut oil liquifies above room temperature, you'll want to keep it in the fridge or freezer.
- To avoid marks on your clothes, put on your deodorant a few minutes before dressing, allowing it to dry completely.
- Apply lightly. You do not need a thick coating for it to work.
- Give your body a few days to adjust to the new ingredients before making a decision on how you like it.
- Enjoy your new all natural, homemade deodorant, knowing you are doing something positive for your health!
Please vote and leave a comment below
Have you tried this recipe?
Make a Creamier Deodorant
- Creamy Homemade Deodorant Antiperspirant
Make your own healthy and inexpensive deodorant-antiperspirant in this quick ten minute recipe. Its smooth texture and fresh scent will remind you of a spa.
Questions & Answers
Does homemade deodorant give you a rash under your arm?
I have not had that experience. From what I've heard, baking soda can be irritating to some people.Helpful 1
Does this homemade deodorant keep you dry?
Not really, it's more of a deodorant. You really don't want to stop the sweating completely as it's an important process for the body.Helpful 9
Does homemade deodorant make your armpit dark?
I have not experienced that, no, nor have I heard anyone say that.