DIY: Brown Sugar and Lemon Body Scrub Recipe
Brown Sugar and Lemon Body Scrub Recipe
As far back as I can remember my mom has always been a rather frugal person. She hates spending money on things that she can make herself. Which is why she always uses things she already has in her kitchen for making homemade, natural beauty masks and scrubs.
The one I remember her using the most was her natural brown sugar and lemon body scrub. She always kept this body scrub in a cute little floral jar on the bathroom vanity. My mom has the softest hands of anyone I ever met. She swears up and down it's because of this little skin recipe. She always told me that you can cure almost anything with a little lemon juice, including dry skin.
I loved it when she used to rub this natural scrub on mine and my sister's feet during the winter months. We had the smoothest feet around; our feet were soft as can be. This brown sugar in this scrub helps slough away the nasty dead skin on your feet in no time.
How Does It Work?
The acid in the lemon juice helps to even out your skin tone, gets rid of sunspots, and softens dry skin. Then the granules in the brown sugar exfoliate the dead skin that sits on the top layer of your skin.
My mother has used this mixture for at least 20 years, and she has next to no wrinkles at 62 years of age, so there has to be something to this sweet concoction. There are many different variations of this scrub recipe, my friend usually adds Vitamin E to her version of this scrub, but my mom usually kept it simple, just using the basics.
- 1 cup of Natural brown sugar
- 1 Organic lemon cut in half
- 3 tbsp.of Raw honey
- 1 large bowl
- Take the brown sugar and place it in the bowl, make sure to break it up with your hands until it is smooth and fine.
- Take the two lemon halves and squeeze them into the brown sugar until you can't squeeze them anymore, it's okay if some of the seeds get in the mix.
- Take the honey and place it in the bowl and mix until all the ingredients are blended it should be pretty clumpy.
- Make sure to wet your body first before applying the mixture.
- Once you're wet apply the mixture in a gentle circular motion to your body keep it on your skin for about three minutes.
- Then shower and rinse as usual.
- Make sure to follow with a good, rich, alcohol-free moisturizer to help replenish the skin.
You use this mixture about once every other week, even though it has all natural ingredients I wouldn't suggest using it any more than that. Using the scrub mixture too much can dry out your skin. Also, make sure to make a fresh batch every 2 to 3 days, this is a wet mixture. It is used to exfoliate not moisturize, so don't use it like you would lotion and always use lotion after you do this treatment try Aveeno or Neutrogena moisturizing lotions.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
How long will a DIY lemon sugar body scrub last?
About 2 or 3 days, I always make more after using it a few times because it's so easy to make.
How long can DIY sugar and lemon scrub last if mixed in a large quantity?
I wouldn't keep it for too long because it's a wet mix; so probably a few days at most.
After mixing all the ingredients of a DIY brown sugar scrub together, can it last for a month or more?
No it can't, because it is a wet mix.