Health is important to me. I write articles that range from DIY facial cleansing products to reviews on oral care.
What Is Oxygenated Toothpaste?
An oxygenated toothpaste is simply a special formula that incorporates fresh oxygen to kill off anaerobic germs that cause bad breath. Because these germs cannot survive in an oxygen-rich environment, oxygenated toothpaste helps to:
- Eradicate germs
- Reduce bacteria
- Reduce bad breath
- Reinvigorate the gums
- Provide some teeth whitening effect
Oxygenating Toothpaste Comparison
The two best-known brands are Therabreath and Colgate, but Arm and Hammer also carries a very effective product as well. It is best to use an oxygenating mouthwash in combination with brushing to eliminate as many sulfur-producing bacteria as possible.
1. Therabreath Oxygenating Toothpaste
Therabreath was developed by Dr. Harold Katz and specifically targets the bacteria that produce bad breath. It is the best toothpaste for halitosis. They now produce an entire range of products specifically for the purpose of achieving fresh breath, and I think they are worth looking into.
Although the toothpaste market is a crowded one, this product has a loyal following. Many even claim that it is the best toothpaste in the world. I find that it works best when used in combination with the mouthwash.
- Produces oxygen in the mouth with the ingredient OXYD-8, a highly potent pH balanced formula derived from sodium chlorite.
- Attacks all types of breath and taste problems because it prevents the production of volatile sulfur compounds.
- Does not dry the mouth, hence, it is good for diabetics and those who have canker sores.
- Does not contain harsh chemicals like Sodium Lauryl Sulphate.
- Because it doesn't contain SLS, this toothpaste doesn't foam very much.
2. Colgate Baking Soda and Peroxide Toothpaste
This Colgate toothpaste contains baking soda and can be combined with a hydrogen peroxide mouthwash for the best results. It is moderately priced and produces oxygen bubbles to kill off sulfur-producing bacteria.
Other features include a refreshing mint flavor and protection for your teeth and gums.
- Proven gradual teeth whitening.
- Reduces bad breath.
3. Arm and Hammer Advance White
This brand is not as well-known, but they carry a great toothpaste called Arm and Hammer Advance White which also eliminates bad breath by using oxygenizing ingredients.
Oxygenating Lozenges for Fresher Breath
One of the easiest ways to get rid of bad breath is to use oxygenating lozenges. These work better than ordinary mints because they introduce a burst of oxygen that kills off some of the bacteria.
When using these lozenges, keep your mouth closed so that the oxygen does not escape while they dissolve.
How Oxygenating Toothpaste Works
Bad breath is caused by sulfur-producing bacteria that live in the back of the tongue and in your throat. The by-product that these germs produce tend to coalesce and form tonsil stones that range from white to cream in color. They are the foulest-smelling things ever!
Most of the germs that cause bad breath cannot survive in an oxygen-rich environment. So when you brush with an oxygenating toothpaste, you are essentially creating an environment that is not conducive to their survival.
How to Use Oxygenating Toothpaste
- Although there is no specific guide on how much toothpaste you should use, a generous amount is advised.
- Brush all tooth surfaces thoroughly and do not forget to scrub the gums and tongue.
- If possible, rinse with an oxygenated mouthwash.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 Bianu
Bianu (author) from Africa on January 12, 2018:
Thank you Michelle,
It is nice to know that this information on oxygenated toothpastes helped you.
Michelle on February 20, 2015:
Thank you for the blog post. Thomas and I are actually savnig to get a new ebook on this topic and your blog post has made us to save all of our money. Your ideas really responded all our questions. In fact, greater than what we had thought of previous to the time we came upon your great blog. I actually no longer have doubts and a troubled mind because you have actually attended to all of our needs in this post. Thanks