Maria has been researching and writing about health and beauty for over 10 years. She shares her findings on her skincare website and here.
How to Pick the Right Foundation
I find it difficult to choose the right foundation shade. Sometimes I end up buying a colour that doesn’t exactly match the tone of my skin. If you are in the same boat as me and find difficult to select that elusive perfect shade, I have compiled a few tips that will make your choice a bit easier.
- First, it is important to know that there are four skin shades: pink, olive, brown, and yellow. When buying your makeup foundation, have this in mind. If you are not sure which skin tone you have, ask for help at the beauty counter.
- These days, foundations are marketed for different skin types: normal, dry, oily, sensitive, or combination skin. Find your type of skin and buy the foundation accordingly.
- Another thing to bear in mind is texture. You can choose between three: cream, powder, or liquid. It's important to pick a foundation in relation to the weather. In winter, the skin will normally be drier; during that time of year, choose a cream or liquid foundation. In the summer, when the skin sweats more, pick a lighter texture.
- Consider coverage when shopping for foundations. Choose light coverage if you want your skin to look more natural. Medium coverage is perfect for those who want to hide skin blemishes and small imperfections. Full coverage works if you suffer from some type of skin condition or scars.
- If you are one of those who test skin foundations on the back of their hand/wrist, stop! This technique doesn't work because the back of the hands are lighter than the face. You need to test on the jawline with no other foundation on.
Top Five Foundations for Illumination
|Brand||What's Great About It||Tips|
Becca Shimmering Skin Protector
Highlighter that illuminates when mixed with moisturizer or foundation.
Look for the shade that goes best with your skin tone.
NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
Covers well and does dry.
Best for normal to dry skin.
Christian Dior Skin Nude Natural Glow Fresh Powder Makeup
Powder that leaves the skin smooth due to high water content.
Best for skin with large pores.
Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturizing Foundation
Great for aging skin.
Fills fine lines and wrinkles.
Mary Kay TimeWise Luminous Wear Liquid Foundation
Great for aging skin
Lightweight and long-lasting.
1. Becca Cosmetics Shimmering Skin Perfector
This is not a traditional foundation, but since I bought this highlighter I'm in love with it. The Becca Skin Perfector will hydrate and illuminate your skin, particularly when you wear it with your own moisturizer or foundation. It is made of light reflecting pearls and makes the face shimmer and reflect light in the right places.
It comes in two different types; liquid highlighter and the powder highlighter.
Both the liquid and the powder gives a dewy glow-like sunrise that doesn't make the face look dry. You can easily make your best features shine the most; It is perfect for both the high points of your body and face. It is easy to apply and a great complimentary product for all skin colors.
For the liquid highlighter, you just need a good-working brush. Apply a good amount of the product into your hands and pat it evenly with the brush. It is better to test the highlighter first on your hand to measure the right amount of glow that you want. After that, you're good to go! Applying the powder highlighter is easier and almost the same as the liquid one. You just have to sweep across the face or across your target areas using a brush.
Make sure to pick the shade that matches your skin tone, and use it on its own, or dab a bit on the parts of the face that reflect light:
- Along the brow bone
- The nose bridge
- The middle of the chin and lips
- The top of the lips bow
- The inner part of the eyes
The product comes in 7 different shades:
- Pearl—white pearl
- Moonstone—pale gold
- Prosecco Pop—warm gold
- Champagne Pop—peach undertones
- Opal—golden opal pearl
- Rose Gold—golden rosy pink
- Topaz—golden bronze pearl
How to Apply Becca Skin Perfector
2. NARS Sheer Glow Foundation
If you want a foundation that covers skin imperfections well and doesn't dry the skin, then Nars Sheer Glow is the foundation for you. It looks natural and leaves a subtle, glossy finish. It hydrates and improves the skin's texture and is aimed at normal and dry skin. This foundation is non-comedogenic (won't cause blackheads or block pores) and is fragrance free. It's a bit pricey, but a little bit goes a long way.
It also gives a sophisticated glow to the whole facial area. It is easy to use as and it acts as a great use for under-eye concealer, too. Just apply a small amount under your eyes or in any part of your face and use the tip of your finger or a concealer brush to blend it. You can put in more or less, just be sure that it is the right amount that you need.
This product minimizes facial discoloration and it hydrates for softer and smoother skin. It gives the face a brighter and a more radiant glow. It is also safe to use because it contains powerful anti-oxidants to protect the face from any damaging free radicals.
This product offers 20 shades because finding the right shade is the most crucial thing for a foundation. Nars sheer glow foundation is beneficial for all people since it can be used by all complexions.
3. Christian Dior Skin Nude Natural Glow Fresh Powder Makeup
I have to include this mineral powder make up from Christian Dior, because it leaves the skin really smooth and fresh. It's 20% water and since water undoubtedly acts as a moisturizer, it can give the skin a more radiant glow.
It has an oil absorbent mechanism for oily skins and it serves as a great finish to all makeup. The SPF 10 mineral powder has a nice glow and it is really simple to apply so it can be easily incorporated into your daily routine. It is also easy to carry around as it only weighs 0.28 oz.
This product gives a natural-looking vibe to all people, a flawless doll-like appearance, a reliable sheer coverage, and a silk-like texture.
If you skin has large pores, this foundation will make the pores look smaller. It doesn’t come cheap, but if you want to invest in a good powder makeup, this is definitely one to consider.
4. Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturizing Foundation
Due to its anti-aging benefits, Bobby Brown luminous moisturizing foundation is perfect for aging skin. It contains collagen and hexapeptides to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and moisturize the skin.
This foundation work best on those with yellow undertones. If you have oily or combination skin use setting powder or your skin could end up looking too shiny.
It works fantastic on other skin types like normal or dry, covering imperfections well without masking the skin and leaving a fresh, glowing finish. This foundation is light and provides a natural glowing finish. It lasts from day into night quite well. Definitely one of the best foundations I have found.
5. Mary Kay TimeWise Luminous Wear Liquid Foundation
Another amazing skin foundation with anti-aging benefits, this product covers the skin well and gives a luminous, flawless finish. It contains a peptide complex and jojoba oil, which is rich in vitamin E.
It is designed to make the skin look firmer, younger, fresher, and healthier.
It offers good coverage for pimples, scars, wrinkles, pores, or any other type of blemishes in your face.
The ingredients work together to moisturize and diminish facial lines.
- Jojoba oil helps to shrink pores and dissolve the production of oil that creates pimples.
- Glycerin that helps to maintain the moisture levels of the skin.
- Dimethicone provides skin protection and it improves the appearance of the face by its soothing nature.
- Palmitoyl Oligopeptide and Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7 help to restore and maintain the skin's youthfulness and freshness.
It is a lightweight formula that can be applied evenly and smoothly. The skin feels moisturized for the whole day. It is also suitable for sensitive skin since it is clinically tested for any allergies.
There are 23 shades to choose from. If you want a smooth, even finish with 23 shades to choose from, this is a foundation to try.
Mary Kay TimeWise Foundation Review
Natural Ways to Achieve Clear, Glowing Skin
To get your skin to glow, follow a healthy daily routine that incorporates plenty of water, raw food, exercise, and efficient skin care ingredients.
- Wash your face with very cold water in the mornings. This promotes blood circulation and will help to close facial pores.
- Choose skin care products that contain Vitamin C, retinol, and hyaluronic acid, along with vegetable oils such as rosehip, almond, and argan.
- Drink natural orange juice with pineapple first thing in the morning and throughout the day will help the body get rid of toxins and hence clear the skin.
- Try to eat berries and vegetables high in antioxidants.
- Drinking green and red tea have cleansing properties.
Recipes for Glowing Skin
Exfoliation is essential. Here's a recipe that will remove dead cells from your face:
- One teaspoon honey, one teaspoon lemon juice, and one teaspoon brown sugar. Mix well and gently rub on your face for one minute. This can be use on the hands and gently on the neck as well.
The following are great homemade mask recipes:
- Mix one grate carrot with an egg yolk and few drops of lemon. Leave on the skin for twenty minutes and rinse using tepid water.
- Blend a few pieces of banana with one or two teaspoons of milk and one teaspoon of honey. Apply evenly over the face and neck and leave in place for about 20 minutes. Wash off with warm water and apply your usual moisturizer.
Enjoy a Healthy Glow!
A healthy diet, water and physical activity will help you achieve healthier and glowing skin naturally. On the other hand if you want to try different approaches go for facials, beauty treatments, skin care products and make up. Using foundations for glowing skin is a great way to fake it until you make it. It is just a matter of finding the best foundation for your skin type!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2014 lovethisstuff
What's Your Favorite Foundation?
Elizabeth P on April 21, 2018:
I use Becca perfector to sculpt my face. I just love it!
Tressie Dawson on March 08, 2018:
Nice post! I just love reading your articles as the content provided by you is very informative and useful. Thanks for sharing.
lovethisstuff (author) from London on January 13, 2015:
Glad to be of help! Thanks for your comment.
Cynthia B Turner from Georgia on January 12, 2015:
I've considered wearing a tinted moisturizer or foundation with some glowing properties because I like the way it looks on a lot of my friends. Thanks so much for the review of the products you listed here. It was very thorough. I can now make an informed choice of product. I really like the ingredients you say are listed in the Mary Kay foundation. Thanks for such a thorough analysis.
lovethisstuff (author) from London on March 18, 2014:
I understand that some people don't like to wear foundations but there are some very light formulas out there and it feels and looks like you are wearing nothing. Thanks for your opinion!
Tracy Lynn Conway from Virginia, USA on March 09, 2014:
I don't wear foundation, only moisturizer, I don't like the feeling of foundation or the idea of it. I follow a lot of what you have listed to achieve naturally glowing skin and I am glad that you included it. I prefer the inside out type of beauty. Voted up!