How to Look Pretty Without the Use of Makeup
Feeling Beautiful with a Natural Face
There are many reasons a woman may choose not to wear makeup--maybe she's a busy mom or professional and doesn't have time, maybe she's very aware of the chemicals in product and refuses to put them on her skin, maybe she feels beautiful without it, or maybe she just doesn't know how to properly apply it and so avoids it altogether.
Whatever the reason, there are plenty of women who go fresh-faced and sans makeup every day. So, how can you look pretty without the use of makeup? You'll need a good skincare regimen, proper nutrition and hydration, the correct vitamins and minerals and--the most important element of all--confidence.
Bare-Faced Beauty: Skin Routines
We all struggle with different aspects of our skin--it's too dry, it's too oily, it's too blotchy. How can you feel confident without cosmetics when you have such problem skin? First, realize that unless there's a zit the shape of Ohio on your forehead, everyone else probably thinks your skin looks just fine. Second, if you do have "problem" skin, a good skincare routine can improve the quality of your skin drastically--thus improving your confidence in your makeup-free look.
- Choose a gentle cleanser to wash with twice a day. Before you wash your face, be sure to wash your hands to remove bacteria.
- After washing your face and drying gently with a clean towel, take a cotton ball and smooth on a toner (if you have dry skin, Benefit makes a great moisturizing toner.)
- After the toner, smooth on eye cream and a moisturizer that's formulated for your type of skin (dry, oily, antiaging, etc.)
- Once a week, use an exfoliating face scrub in place of the cleanser.
- Once a week, use a natural facemask--honey and cinnamon combine to treat acne, while avocado and honey are great for dry skin.
Other tips: Don't touch your face often during the day--this leads to clogged pores and, eventually, pimples. Also, apply a light SPF each morning. You'll thank yourself in 10 years.
Pretty, Healthy Skin Without Makeup: Vitamins
Vitamins and minerals can drastically improve the texture and tone of your skin. It's best to get these nutrients through a balanced diet, but there are some days (or weeks) where that just doesn't happen. In those instances, women who want to achieve beautiful skin even without makeup can turn to either topical or ingestible forms of vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamin A: When applied topically, it can reduce wrinkles and brown spots. Vitamin A is an ingredient in many anti-aging creams and serums.
- Vitamin B: When applied topicaly, Vitamin B3 it reduces redness. When ingested, Vitamin B5 reduces oil production and subsequently can reduce acne. However, all of the B Vitamins are great for the skin.
- Vitamin C: Fights acne, and contains antioxidants to fight sun damage and free radicals.
- Vitamin E: Contains antioxidants to protect and improve skin, and also has great moisturizing properties.
Before starting a vitamin program, it's best to consult your doctor or dermatologist.
Looking Lovely without Foundation: Proper Nutrition and Hydration
Good skin starts from the inside, so it's important to get the proper nutrition and to stay hydrated. Drink your eight glasses of water a day (or tea, or Crystal Lite--just not coffee and soda!), and more if possible. Mix some blueberries with Greek yogurt for a good source of antioxidants and protein; snack on some walnuts or add salmon to your salad for omega-3 fatty acids; drink some green tea to sooth inflammation.
If it's a fruit or a veggie, it probably is good for your skin! If it's processed or sugary, steer clear.
Fast Product Tricks for Beauty without Makeup
If you don't wear make-up but still want to put forth as polished an appearance as possible, try these tricks:
- Use tinted chapstick to give your lips a hint of color while you moisturize them and protect them from the elements.
- Keep your brows shaped and waxed--a clean browline goes a long way toward a polished face.
- Consider eyelash extensions--they last for several weeks, meaning you get the full, lush look of mascara without the time spent curling your lashes and applying product
- Use blotting papers throughout the day to soak up excess oil and prevent shine
Taking off the Makeup Mask: True Beauty Tips
The true trick to looking pretty without the use of cosmetics doesn't lie in sugar scrubs or a daily dose of Vitamin E. The real secret is confidence--acceptance of yourself and appreciation of the parts you love as well as the parts you don't. It can be hard to be confident when we're constantly bombarded with media images of perfect, poreless women, and when we're told to cover our "flaws" with a layer of foundation, concealer, and powder.
Just know that most people aren't going to think you look drastically different whether or not you're wearing makeup, and if you're confident and happy with yourself, others will think you're beautiful--inside and out. Whatever your reasons for choosing not to wear makeup, you can still project a pretty, polished, confident appearance.