Hannah is a writer, artist, and an inspiring makeup artist. She lives in Florida with her husband, son, and two cats named Obi and Molly.
Handled foundation brushes are the current trend. I have seen them everywhere, but mainly when I watch makeup tutorials on Youtube. Personally, I have never used them because my go-to applicators are typically regular brushes or sponges.
I made the trip to my local Walmart to purchase some brand new brushes. I spotted these brushes right next to the beauty blenders I get. I have never used MODA's brand before, but I was a bit curious to see what all the rage was about. I got them and took them home to try them out! Here is my honest review of the brushes, including the pros and cons.
MODA Prismatic Face Perfecting Makeup Blending Brushes with Handles Kit (4 count)
Price: $16.98 at Wal-Mart. (Price could vary)
- Applies a flawless complexion.
- Cruelty Free.
- No animal products used.
- 100% vegan.
- Dense soft fibers.
- Waterproof handle.
- Is used for blending foundation, concealer, moisturizer, and primer.
- Blends and can be used to contour.
- Brushes are ultra soft and easily blends creams and liquid foundations.
- Minimal absorption.
- Made in the USA.
Inside the kit:
- 801 Brush: Used for all over cream and foundation application.
- 802 Brush: Ideal for blush or bronzer.
- 803 Brush: Blends contour under the cheekbones, around the jawline, and the hairline.
- 804 Brush: Applies concealer and contours the nose and other small facial features.
- The brushes are extremely charming and captivated my attention immediately. I love the vibrant colors and the design of the product. It sort of reminds me of a mermaid's tail. (I am obsessed with mermaids.)
- The bristles on the end of the brush are feather soft and the quality is outstanding.
- When going to apply makeup, I used very little foundation to cover my entire face. I assume this was due to the brushes not absorbing most of the product. This could save money on products in the long run (Makeup sponges tend to absorb product, which makes them go quicker!)
- When using the brushes, it took me exactly five minutes to complete my entire face. If I was using sponges or a regular foundation brush—it would have taken me 30 mins. Great time saver! (My husband was happy about this little fact.)
- The bristles don't hurt my face. Most of the makeup tools i have used irritated my face, but these brushes did not.
- The bristles blend extremely well, even the cream blush I always have issues blending. The outcome was flawless and didn't leave any streaks or lines in my face!
- It is extremely easy to put face powder on with the biggest brush. It makes setting my foundation a whole lot easier.
- The instructions on the packaging were understandable and helpful in educating about the function of each brush size.
- The price for these brushes are cheaper than the ones I have seen online in the past.
- The brushes have a nice grip on them, it makes application easier and doesn't slide around in hand.
- I support businesses based in the USA because it's where I am from. These brushes were made in the USA, which I love.
- I like to recycle, so these brushes being 100% vegan means that harmful materials weren't used in making these brushes.
- These brushes are animal cruelty free, which I advocate for.
- Cleaning is easy just use a mild dish soap, and condition them. They still hold their shape and are not hard after air drying!
- Fibers and lint get trapped easily on the surface of the brushes and are visible.
- The flexible handle sometimes feels as if it is going to break during use. (I know it's flexible, but I felt as if I had to be extremely delicate with them.)
- I wish more brushes came with the kit for the price I paid for it. Four brushes just seems a bit lacking for paying $16 dollars.
- The brushes didn't really come with a case. I noticed that MODA had cases for travel with their other brush kits. It would have been nice to have one come with this one as well.
There were some cons to these brushes, but not too many that would hinder me from purchasing MODA's products in the future. The pros definitely outweigh the cons, and I recommend these brushes.
If you are interested in buying these, you can find them on Walmart.com.
Hannah (author) on November 18, 2017:
Well, these brushes are supposedly water proof so maybe it won't wear the pretty colors down from usage. I'm gonna use them everyday to see, and re-edit an update on how they are upholding. They are really easy to handle and flexible--which kind of scared me at first-- but i assume it's for easier application and blending. Im so use to the other makeup brushes. It takes some time getting use to them, but they are wonderful.
Kierstin Gunsberg from Traverse City, Michigan on November 18, 2017:
Dang, these are really pretty! I have a prismatic hairbrush (it's Hot Tools though, not MODA) though and after a while the finish kind of peeled off and faded so if you're buying for the look, it doesn't last forever :(
Is it awkward handling these as opposed to typical makeup brushes?
Hannah (author) on November 18, 2017:
Honestly, these are the best brushes I have used in the longest time, compared to regular foundation brushes (which leave streaks all of my face) I haven't used any other handled brush brand, but I am on the lookout for more for comparison.
Dani Merrier from United States on November 17, 2017:
I've always wanted to use these kinds of brushes. Do you feel like this brand is superior to any others you have tried in this same design (if you have tried any)?
Very helpful article. I think I would have liked to see a more comparative review of this kind of brush to typical brushes. Thanks so much!