How to Get PR Packages for Your Beauty Blog: The Ultimate Guide
Are You A Beauty Blogger?
If you have a beauty blog or Instagram page and an active number of followers who regularly like your posts or share them online, then you’re definitely going to have a chance of getting free products from companies to review. Companies love to send free makeup to bloggers or Instagrammers, because their followers are actively purchasing any products that influencers advertise on their blog.
You're going to learn:
- What beauty companies look for in a blog
- How to create compelling reviews that'll impress beauty companies
- How to best contact a beauty company for PR Packages
- What to do to maintain a relationship with the company
So by the end of this guide, you’re going to have a great understanding of how to get free samples and products from beauty companies, as well as the follow-up process and the thank-you email you should send after in order to develop a working relationship with the company.
Companies love to develop working relationships with influencers, because if your posts help them sell more products, then it’s a win-win for everyone. I’m also going to provide a variety of extra tips to help you get ahead and stand out from other bloggers.
You ready to begin? I know I am!
1. Evaluate Your Blog/Instagram Page
Before you contact any companies, you need to make sure that your blog or Instagram page has a strong online presence and an active number of followers, as well as high quality content.
If your blog lacks in content, companies mightn’t be satisfied with the quality of the reviews you provide, or it shows that you don’t have an active following on your blog as of yet, and that your blog is still developing and in its beginning phase.
Here are some things to make sure:
1. Does your blog have at least thirty blog posts? The more content your blog has, the more people will eventually subscribe to your blog; that’s just the laws of the web coming into play right there. Companies will want a link to your blog, and you can be sure they’ll be actively checking to see if you post regularly.
Some people wonder how often they should post, and my greatest advice is that you should post at least once every three weeks if your review is a “roundup” style piece (where you review more than three makeup items, for example) and at least once every two weeks if your posts are shorter in length.
Now of course, you should tailor your publishing schedule to your own life and day-to-day living. Of course, if you find little time to write during the week, then tailor your publishing schedule according to that, so you can publish one blog post a month if you like.
2. Is your publishing schedule consistent? The key is to remain consistent. Whether you publish a blog post every few days, every week, or every month, you need to remain consistent with your publishing schedule.
Companies like to see that you’re dedicated to building a following and to becoming an influencer.
2. Make Sure Your Reviews Are Engaging
If your makeup reviews are engaging, contain plenty of photos, before and after photos, even videos or Instagram clips, then that shows you’re producing relevant, high-quality content and that you’re showcasing the companies’ products in the best manner possible.
Add Plenty of Close-Up Shots
You can stand out by adding captions to your products’ photos, polls in your blog posts, and a variety of other multimedia content.
Make Sure to Highlight Key Quotes
Highlight key parts of your review and make those stand out also in the form of blog-quotes, etc., These provide the TL;DR (or the short summary) of what you thought of the makeup or cosmetics in general.
You can also highlight your thoughts in the form of blog graphics.
A tool I particularly like is Canva. It helps you design blog graphics, social media graphics, and more, all with a few simple clicks. All the blog graphics I create for my articles are made using Canva, and they help add visual stimuli to my blog posts, and I can also create cute annotated diagrams and more. Add a few of these graphics to your blog posts, and companies will definitely know you’re an influencer to reach out to!
Create Title Graphics
A title graphic or thumbnail graphic is the photo you see on social media before you click on the link to the beauty review; if you're blogging on WordPress, this is equivalent to the "Featured Image" you include in your blog posts.
You can make your blog look stunning with reviews that includes some of these title graphics. You'll see an example below, which was made with Canva, a free tool online graphic tool.
Provide excellent photos of makeup and the cosmetics you review, including closeups, and any before/after photos
What were the pros and cons of the product?
Make sure to share the post to all your social media channels.
Try including 5+ images per review
Be as detailed as you can.
Try posting some Instagram stories for added buzz.
Make great graphics with Canva
Add as much description as you can about the product, such as what it's made of, how it impacted you, and whether you'd incorporate it into your makeup schedule.
Create social media graphics with Canva to promote your review to your followers.
1. Contact The Company
Next, it’s time to contact the company. You need to send them an email detailing:
1. What Your Blog Is All About: Provide them with a general overview on what your blog is about and the kind of posts you create or makeup you like to write about. Do you provide makeup tutorials? Video reviews? Text reviews? If you’re blog posts are very in-depth and contain a lot of imagery, let them know about that. Sell your blog to them, so that they know that you’re an influencer to work with.
Also, give them some general statistics on how many readers your blog has or how many followers your Instagram page has. Once they get a general idea, they can evaluate whether your blog will be one to work with in the future.
Provide some links to your best reviews, too, so that they can quickly see what your blogging skill and reviewing skill is like.
2. How Often You Publish: Let them know that you publish consistently, and how long you’ve been writing for, so that they know you’re a competitive and dedicated blogger.
3. Offer A Personal Experience About Any of Their Products: If you’re a great fan of their products, then you should let them know about that! I wrote a whole article detailing exactly how to write to companies for free products in exchange for some positive, true words about their products, and you can do the same here, only you’re giving them a flavour of what your reviewing skill is like.
If you’ve never used any of their products before, then I wouldn’t recommend you follow this part, since you need to stay truthful to your words. However, if you heard about them from a friend and are curious to try their products and potentially review them, then you can mention that here.
4. What Products You’d Like To Review: This is the fun part of the email or letter! Here, you get to detail exactly what you’d like to review. Now this completely depends on the company, but some companies only want to send out the products that they would like to get reviewed, so they mightn’t send the exact product you’d like to review. Try and keep your email open-ended, so that if they don’t want to send that lipstick or that eyeshadow, that they can send you whatever they would like reviewed, and that you’d love to review it, etc.,
Here, it would be a good place to mention what your turn-around times are like. If you’re going to write the review within two weeks of receiving the product, that would be a fantastic bonus, since it shows dedication.
5. Provide A Link To Your Blog/Instagram Page: Somewhere in the email, you need to place a clear link to your blog or Instagram page. Preferably, introduce it at the beginning somewhere by hyperlinking your blog’s name as you introduce it in the beginning, and then you can add a link to your blog or Instagram page at the footer of your email, just after your salutation and sign off. This is usually the first place company representatives go to look for a link to your blog.
How Long Does It Take For Them To Reply Back?
It usually takes between a week and three weeks, depending on the company. If you don’t receive a reply from them after a month, it’s safe to move on, though you never know, you might receive a surprise email from them even later!
If They Send You Makeup, Follow Up With A Thank You Email
Once you are sent makeup, and have reviewed it, it’s absolutely crucial that you send a link of your review or Instagram post to the company.
They’ll be able to read your review, even comment on it, or say thanks, and of course, this means you’ll develop a working relationship with the company. In the future, they might think of you and send you more products to review. Of course, if they’re particularly impressed by your review, they could potentially add you to their influencers list, so that whenever they create new products, they might ask you to review them.
Be courteous and thankful in your email, make the link to your review clear and make sure it’s easily found, and you’ll be well on your way to developing a working relationship with the company.
Are You A Beauty Blogger?
Thanks For Reading!
If you have any questions, make sure to contact me by emailing me (you'll see my email above) or comment down below. Thanks for reading!