I am interested in natural skincare, green products, energy markets, clean technologies, sustainability and travel.
Coffee Grounds: Skin-Tightening, Wrinkle-Reducing and Free
Many coffee drinkers do not realise that the used coffee grounds they're throwing away contain the same antioxidants and other beneficial compounds that are used in some luxury skincare products. Coffee grounds are just too good to be wasted! They cost nothing and can improve your skin after just a single use.
Coffee grounds can be used to make:
- Face masks
- Body scrubs
- Hair treatments
Coffee has proven to have wonderful effects on the skin, according to a 2013 study published by the Royal Society of Chemistry. It contains powerful antioxidant agents, which protect the skin from free radicals and reduce the risk of skin cancer. Coffee tightens pores and removes dead skin cells, making the skin look younger. It also displays anti-wrinkle properties.
Because of all these benefits, coffee has become a common ingredient in numerous luxury beauty products and spa therapies, especially anti-aging and anti-cellulite treatments.
What kind of coffee has the most antioxidants?
The level of antioxidants in used grounds depends on the way coffee is brewed. The best grounds are those collected at the bottom of the cup you drink out of, but those left over in your filter can also do the job.
According to scientists from the University of Navarra in Spain, plunger, filter and espresso coffee makers left the highest levels of antioxidants in grounds, while mocha-style coffee makers left the lowest.
Below are a few very simple recipes for coffee face peels. Remember—for face applications, use only finely ground coffee. Some people find ground coffee too rough for their face and prefer to use it on their hands and body only.
‘Economic’ Coffee Face Mask
The simplest recipe for a coffee face mask contains just one ingredient: used coffee grounds. There are a few more recipes below, but it is a good idea to start with this simple one first so you can see for yourself how wonderful coffee alone is on the skin after just one use!
- First, simply brew a cup of coffee and drink it.
- Remove the excess liquid from the grounds.
- Spread what's left over all around your face, avoiding the eyes. Coffee grounds should be slightly warm when applied to the skin.
- Keep spreading the mixture for a couple of minutes, as this exfoliating action removes dead skin cells and makes the skin look softer. Be careful not to press too hard.
- Rinse your face with warm water.
‘Deluxe’ Coffee and Egg White Mask
- Brew a cup of coffee and drink it.
- Remove the excess liquid from the grounds.
- Mix the grounds with the white of 1 egg.
- Massage softly into the skin and let the mixture dry.
- Wash your face with warm water.
‘Deluxe Plus’ Mask With Coffee, Hazelnut and Natural Oils
- Mix 1 spoon of coffee grounds with 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Add 6 coarsely ground hazelnuts to the mixture.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of almond oil, jojoba oil, olive oil and few drops of orange extract.
- Combine all the ingredients and apply on the face, avoiding the eyes and neck areas.
- Keep the mixture on for a couple of minutes, then rinse it off with warm water and gentle soap.
Read More From Bellatory
Coffee + Olive Oil
This is the simplest combination, but it's effective.
- Mix the coffee grounds with 2–3 spoons of olive oil.
- Apply on the skin, particularly on the cellulite-affected areas.
- Massage the skin gently for a couple of minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
Coffee + Sea Salt + Natural Oils
- Combine 2 cups of coffee grounds with 1/2 cup of sea salt or ordinary sugar.
- Add 3 spoons of natural oils to the mixture. These could be sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, etc. You may also like to add a couple of drops of vanilla or almond extract to add some scent and make the treatment more enjoyable.
- Massage the mixture into the skin.
- Wash it off with warm water and gentle soap.
Coffee + Salt + Yoghurt
- Mix 2 cups of coffee grounds with 1/2 cup of coarse salt (or sugar).
- Add 3 teaspoons of yoghurt. Mix all the ingredients to create a thick mass.
- Take a hot shower to open your skin's pores.
- Apply the mixture on your skin, avoiding the face and neck.
- After a couple of minutes, rinse it off with warm water and gentle soap.
Coffee + Carrot + Clay
- Grate 2–3 carrots.
- Mix them with 2 cups of coffee grounds.
- Add 3 spoons of clay such as green clay or red clay.
- Add 1 teaspoon of water.
- Mix all the ingredients. You may also add a few drops of vanilla, orange, chocolate or lemon extract to add some scent.
- Massage the mixture into the skin, avoiding the face and neck.
- Wash it off using warm water and gentle soap.
Coffee Hair Shine Treatment
If you are a brunette, you can also use coffee to add softness and shine to your hair. For this treatment, freshly brewed coffee should be used rather than grounds.
- Prepare some strong coffee (don't use too much water) and let it cool.
- Using your fingers, apply the mixture on your hair and scalp, gently massaging it in.
- Wrap your hair with a towel or a plastic cap.
- After 20 minutes, wash it out with warm water.
Afraid of the mess? Buy handmade products.
Coffee grounds treatments can improve the condition and appearance of your skin and hair at no cost. However, there is one inconvenience—they create loads of mess to clean up. If this problem is putting you off, you may consider buying handmade beauty products containing coffee, such as handmade soaps. They are much cheaper than luxury brands but are equally good, if not better.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 lenalena2013
Giselle on January 20, 2020:
Love handmade products. These I, ce just read are super.
Alan on May 15, 2018:
I love it coffee grounds palm oil coconut oil brown sugar and cinnamon
Krystal on September 13, 2016:
Thanks for this. I tried the coffee and olive oil for my everyday body scrub and it works. My skin lightens and the cellulites in my butt and thighs reduces.
Nancy on June 18, 2016:
I am in need something reduce wrinkles and forehead lines and wrinkles on hands figs lips