Almond Face Mask Recipe
Almonds for DIY Skincare
Almonds or almond oil make wonderful face masks easily done at home.
The most nutritious of all nuts, almonds are packed full of skin-loving reasons to use it in this manner. As a beauty therapist, almond oil was and is an oil highly regarded and used by myself and within the profession for massage treatments due to it being an excellent skin emollient.
With almonds being readily available and widely used throughout the world, it makes sense to introduce this marvel to other homemade skin care products.
It may be used for the hair, as a moisturizer, incorporated into face scrubs the list of possibilities is long and very achievable. Face Masks are the one treatment we are going to take a look at here with some easy recipes.
More beneficial for your skin with no additives or chemicals, making your own beauty products is also fun, saves you money and many products such as bath salts, lip scrubs, lip gloss or lavender oil make ideal gifts or party favours.
What Is a Face Mask?
A face mask or facial mask is a treatment to the skin that forms part of a professional facial or an at-home skin care regime. Used after cleansing the skin, it will usually be applied and left on the skin for 5–15 minutes, depending on the mask type. The mask type depends on what type of skin you have.
Oily Skin needs a deep cleansing mask to help keep the pores free of impurities that can lead to unwanted pimples, blackheads or pustules. Clay-based masks or face masks which have a tightening effect on the skin work well for oily skins.
Dry Skin will need a moisturizing and nourishing face mask to help restore lost moisture in the skin, and dry skin tends to look the most aging. Our skins may change with maturity and get drier over time and need some help in maintaining healthy, supple skin. Winter is another factor that often makes an oilier skin drier, so get to know your own skin and how it changes.
Sensitive Skin will benefit from a soothing, calming face mask to help reduce any redness or inflammation on the skin. For sensitive skins, in particular, I recommend doing a patch test first on the inside of the arm to be sure of compatibility with ingredients. Any known allergies to ingredients should be taken on board and strictly avoided in face masks and all skin care products.
The beauty with homemade face masks is you control exactly what goes into them and can handpick the correct balance of natural products to suit your skin.
Many of us have combination skin, and ingredients such as almonds are useful and highly beneficial to different skin types when combined with different ingredients.
Health Benefits of Almonds
- Good for Brain Development
- Regulates Cholesterol
- Maintaining a Healthy Heart
- Vitamin E
- Rich in Protein and Fibre
- Source of Potassium, Magnesium, Folic Acid, Copper, Riboflavin
- Skin Care
- Rich in Antioxidants
- Regulates Blood Pressure
- Boosts Energy Levels
- Prevents Constipation
- Prevents Diabetes
- Prevents Colon Cancer
- Aids in Weight Loss
Almond Orchard in California
Face Mask for Acne
This face mask has only three ingredients, which all have major skin benefits.
Almonds: Used as a paste here, almonds are marvellous for any dry areas whilst also providing a scrub type quality by gently exfoliating the skin and removing dead skin cells. This rids the skin of bacteria that can block pores and lead to blackheads, pimples and acne. The skin will be smoother, softer and more toned in appearance.
Honey: It has multiple skin benefits, including antimicrobial properties, which help fight off acne forming bacteria. Rich in antioxidants, honey helps stave off skin-damaging free radicals promoting healthier, younger-looking skin.
Lemon Juice: It's excellent for oily skins; it helps combat oiliness due to its astringent quality, leaving the skin feeling fresh and glowing.
Have you tried almonds or almond oil in skin care?
You Will Need
- 7–8 tbsp raw almonds
- 1 tbsp pure honey
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Water to cover almonds
- Soak almonds in a covered bowl of water overnight.
- Remove the shell on the almonds the following morning and mash with a fork into a paste.
- Add the honey and lemon juice. Mix well together until evenly combined.
To Apply Mask
- Keep hair off face by wearing a hairband or shower cap.
- Make sure skin is cleansed and free of makeup.
- Apply face mask to the face and neck, avoiding the eye area.
- Relax and leave mask on for 10 minutes.
- Remove with tepid water finishing with a splash of cold water.
- Pat the skin dry. Apply a skin toner to help restore the natural ph balance of the skin and tighten the pores of the skin.
- Apply a light, oil-free moisturizer.
Almond and Banana Face Mask for Dry Skin
This moisture-rich face mask has only three ingredients and is quick to make.
Sweet Almond Oil: It's a nourishing and intense treatment for dry or dehydrated skin. It is a great skin softener thanks to it comprising of fatty acids. Rich in vitamin E, it is a natural antioxidant that benefits all skin types. Sweet almond oil acts as a humectant, locking in moisture and easily absorbing into the skin without leaving a greasy residue.
Bananas: They are rich in vitamins and minerals, soothing on the skin whilst being a natural skin softener, and they help to keep it supple. Multi-versatile in skin care products, bananas may also be used for the hair, and the banana peel is great for acne or pimples.
Milk: It benefits the skin when internally drunk and when applied directly onto the skin. The well-known phrase milk and honey has more truth in it than you may realise! Cleopatra bathed in milk, and why not? It is full of skin-enhancing qualities. Always great to use in a face pack as a binder whilst providing all the goodness of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that all skin types benefit from.
Almond, Honey and Jojoba Face Scrub
You Will Need
- 1 tbsp sweet almond oil
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tsp milk or cream
- Mash banana and add the sweet almond oil and milk.
- Mix well to an even consistency.
- Apply to a cleansed face and neck, avoiding the eye area.
- Leave for 15 minutes and rinse off with tepid water.
- Splash the face with cold water and pat the skin dry.
- Finish with your skin toner and moisturizer.
Tips and Uses for Sweet Almond Oil
- If you have very dry skin, it may be used as a skin moisturizer. A little goes a long way. One or two drops is enough to moisturize the body after a bath or shower.
- Great for chapped hands, dry elbows and excessively dry or flakey skin.
- Sweet Almond Oil may be used for dry hands that need a pick me up. Warm two cups of milk with two tbsp sweet almond oil on the stove to just over room temperature. Add a few drops of Lavender essential oil and soak hands for 10–15 minutes for a really deep moisturizing hand treatment. Finish with your hand cream.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2012 Suzanne Ridgeway