Apple Cider Vinegar Treatments for Acne-Free Skin
Apple Cider Vinegar's Benefits for the Skin
Apple cider vinegar is one of my absolute favorite ingredients to use when I have acne. It is not the best smelling thing in the world, but it certainly is the best thing for DIY beauty. Not only is apple cider vinegar (ACV) packed full of wonderful vitamins and minerals, it also has many healing properties to it. It is also an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and an anti-viral. Some ACV benefits include:
- Balancing the pH in the skin
- Exfoliating dead skin cells
- Encouraging cell renewal
- Removes excess oils and dirt
- Cleans out pores and shrinks them
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Evens complexion reducing the appearance of acne marks/scars and age spots
Raw organic ACV is not hard to find. Most grocery stores carry it as well as many online sites such as Amazon. After using ACV on my skin for six years, I can say that it truly does work at clearing the skin of any blemishes while leaving it soft and glowing. It has become one of my staple items in my DIY skincare. Below are a few of my favorite ways to use apple cider vinegar to keep my face acne-free and glowing.
Variety of ACV Treatments
Since I adore apple cider vinegar for DIY skincare, I have come up with what I like to call my apple cider vinegar arsenal. This is a group of four different treatments I have come up with over the years that all use ACV. I tend to use these during those hormonal breakouts that seem to attack my entire face, and using these together clears my skin up in no time at all. You do not have to use all four treatments, it is just what I have found works best; the recipes are not set in stone either and can be tailored to your specific needs or skin ailments. The arsenal includes recipes and instructions for:
- Spot treatment
I hope you all find these as effective as I have and enjoy them. If you try them, please leave your thoughts in the comment section below! Enjoy and have fun!
After using this toner for seven years I can honestly say that it is one of the best toners I have ever used. Using it nightly during a breakout will have your face cleared in just a few days. The best part about it is that it is also one of the simplest toners to make. All you will need is three ingredients, measuring cups and spoons, and a way to boil water. Before we make the toner let's take a look at the different ingredients to see how they help apple cider vinegar fight acne and premature aging.
- Green tea: Green tea is not only good for your insides but also for your skin as well. Using it as a topical treatment is just as beneficial for the health of your skin as it is to drink it. Chalked full of powerful antioxidants green tea fights free radicals to protect the skin from the sun, while also helping to prevent the signs of premature aging, and cleaning and minimizing pores. Green tea is also known to promote the healing and prevention of acne and blemishes.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice is powerful at clearing up and preventing pimples and acne. It lightens and brightens the skin, as well as shrinking pores and helping the skin to maintain an optimal pH balance.
Note: Lemon juice can be irritating and should be used sparingly and diluted.
- 2/3 Cup of green tea
- 1/3 Cup of raw apple cider vinegar
- 3-5 drops of lemon juice
- After your tea has come to a boil and cooled a bit mix in your lemon juice and apple cider vinegar.
- Keep this toner in the fridge.
DIY Face Mask
This a very gentle and soothing mask. It is full of antibacterial properties that help to heal and prevent acne as well as slosh away dead skin cells and encourage cell renewal. Using it one to two times a week will leave you with clear radiant skin, and it is great for all skin types. It is very simple to make and only takes just a few ingredients and minutes. Again before we start making this we're gonna take a look at what the different ingredients do and how they complement the apple cider vinegar.
- Avocado: Rich in vitamin A, B, and E avocados are great moisturizers for dry skin and reduces inflammation. Full of vitamins, minerals, acids, and amino acids. This helps to even skin tone and soften skin. Avocados also have a great number of anti-aging antioxidants.
- Honey: Great for sensitive skin, honey is extremely gently yet still powerful. It has an abundance of essential vitamins and antioxidants needed to keep the skin free of blemishes. It has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-inflammatory properties that all help to heal and prevent acne. It also helps to wash away dead skin cells and adding moisture to the skin.
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Dice and puree your avocado until it is a smooth creamy texture.
- Next, add in your honey and mix well.
- Apply to your face and neck area and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently wash off with warm water.
DIY ACV Scrub
This gentle yet effective scrub is great for those mid breakout days. All the ingredients have exfoliating properties that help to dissolve dead skin cells and encourage cell renewal. Once the first layer of dry tired skin has been removed a new more radiant and healthy layer is exposed leaving the skin soft and smooth. I like to use this two or three times a week at night to keep my skin happy and healthy. It is quick to make and will last about a week in the fridge after making. Let's take an in-depth look at the ingredients.
- Brown sugar: Organic brown sugar is one of my favorite bases for a DIY exfoliator. It is gentle yet powerful enough to remove dead skin cells while moisturizing and softening the healthier brighter layer of skin underneath. Not only is it a cost-effective alternative to spa and store scrubs, but it will also leave a lovely sweet scent to your skin.
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 teaspoons organic brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 drops fresh lemon juice
- Mash and puree your avocado until you get a smooth creamy texture.
- Next, mix in your honey and lemon juice.
- Add your brown sugar and mix well.
- Apply to the face and neck area and let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Gently pat and massage the mixture into the skin with your fingertips.
- Wash off with warm water.
Have/Do you use Apple Cider Vinegar as a Beauty Treatment?
DIY Spot Treatment Using ACV
This is best for those stubborn blemishes that are hard to get rid of. Best to use at night since it requires you to put a band-aid over the area. This quick little spot treatment will work wonders on those big or deep under the skin pimples and blemishes.
- 1 teaspoon organic raw honey
- 1 teaspoon raw organic apple cider vinegar
Mix your vinegar with your honey until it is completely mixed.
- Dab a bit of the mixture onto the breakout and apply a band-aid.
- Leave on overnight and rinse with warm water the next morning.
When I make skin products at home I make it a point to only use organic and raw products. Bragg's raw organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar is by far my go to brand when I use apple cider vinegar in my skin care products or just as a treatment. It is truly the best one for the skin and, that is why I continue to buy it.
Did you find this article helpful or informative?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
Questions & Answers
© 2015 Danielle Nash