I've been making my own avocado face masks for years and can confidently say that these can work wonders for your skin.
Avocado Face Mask Benefits
Avocados, or alligator pears, are a wonderful base for any facial mask. Their creamy and smooth texture is a nice start for a mask, and it is packed full of great vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants for skin health. Some of their benefits include:
- Resists the aging process
- Protects from the sun and environment
- Softens and moisturizes
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduces inflammation
- High in vitamins A, C, D, E, and much more
- Fights free radicals
- Contains healthy fats to keep the skin healthy
Let's take a deeper look at some of the vitamins in avocados that make them so wonderful to use in your do-it-yourself skincare regime.
How Do Avocados Benefit Your Skin?
Here's a closer look at the benefits of avocados:
- Vitamin A: It's wonderful for treating acne and preventing and reducing the signs of aging. It stimulates the skin to plump it up, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and increases the blood flow to the skin. One reason vitamin A is known for helping to slow down the normal aging process is that it increases the deposit of collagen. It also protects against UV rays, reduces brown spots, treats acne by decreasing sebum, and improves hydration.
- Vitamin Bs: There are a number of B vitamins in avocados, including B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6. Each B vitamin has a distinct effect on the skin and body. B2 helps to prevent and heal acne blemishes. B1 is a powerful antioxidant that helps to protect the skin from the effects of aging and increases circulation. B3, in particular, has been shown to help improve the ability to retain moisture in the skin, which reduces fine lines and wrinkles and helps improve the texture of dry, flaky skin. Vitamin B5 helps to heal skin blemishes and helps to minimize future breakouts by breaking down oils. B6 is essential for happy healthy skin.
- Vitamin C: This has powerful antioxidant properties that help shield and protect the skin from free radicals. It is also extremely important for collagen health, which is key in helping to slow the natural aging process. One of vitamin C's known properties is its energy-boosting—not only is this true for yourself but your skin as well. Vitamin C is great for making your skin look and feel more energized.
- Vitamin D: It's also known as the "sunshine vitamin," because it is the main source of sunlight. Not only is it found in the UV rays of the sun, but it also helps to protect from damaging UV rays as well. Vitamin D has been proven to help heal wounds on the skin, which helps to heal acne. It also helps to prevent and fight the signs of aging, like fine lines and wrinkles and inflammation.
- Vitamin E: This works to protect the skin. It protects from damaging UV rays from the sun and fights off free radicals. These both help to slow the normal and premature aging process. Because it works as an antioxidant, this also helps to reduce the signs of aging, such as wrinkles and fine lines. It is also an anti-inflammatory that helps to heal wounds, such as acne blemishes, and reduces their red appearance.
Making the Masks
Now that we know what is in avocados and how they help the skin, let's start making different masks. Below is a list of mask recipes for different skin ailments.
Each one is tailored to treating a certain skin problem, with different ingredients complementing the benefits of the avocado—but they can be altered to suit your skin. They are all simple to make and are healthy for the skin. They also give a little insight into how the different ingredients help the avocado with different skin problems. So let's get started on making our masks.
Acne-Fighting Avocado Mask
I use this mask when I am suffering from an acne breakout that is pretty bad. Using it daily usually helps me to clear up my blemishes in three to five days, depending on how much I use it during the day—once in the morning and once at night is best. It is simple and fast to make and also to helps moisturize and exfoliate the skin as well.
Before we start making the mask we will take a brief look at the ingredients and how they complement the avocado base to help us fight acne.
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 avocado
Lemon Juice: Lemon juice has many acids in it, causing it to help to dissolve dead skin cells and exfoliate. This clears out any clogged pores and helps to heal any blemishes already occurring. It also lightens and brightens the complexion, while also evening the tone.
Read More From Bellatory
Honey: One of my go-to acne treatments, honey is a gentle exfoliate and super moisturizer. Its antibacterial properties help to heal any current acne and help to prevent future blemishes. Honey is also great for reducing redness in pimples and acne marks by minimizing inflammation.
Apple Cider Vinegar: This is my absolute favorite organic acne-fighter. It helps to gently dissolve dead skin cells, exfoliating the skin and balancing the pH level, preventing acne breakouts.
- Mash or puree your avocado half until you have a smooth creamy texture.
- Add your lemon juice, honey, and apple cider vinegar and mix well.
This mask does wonders for more mature skin. It gently hydrates and exfoliates, revealing younger and brighter skin. It also helps to reduce the signs of aging, like crow's feet, fine lines, and wrinkles.
Let's look at the ingredients list and see what they do.
- 1 teaspoon green tea
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- 1/2 avocado
Green Tea: It's known for its rich and powerful antioxidants. These antioxidants help to fight premature aging by fighting off free radicals. Free radicals can be found in the environment and are a major cause of premature wrinkles and fine lines. It also helps to protect the skin from the damaging UV rays from the sun.
Honey: See honey benefits in the mask above.
Yogurt: It's high in lactic acid, making it a great natural exfoliate. It gently sloshes away dead skin cells and removes dirt and oil unclogging pores. This reveals a brighter and healthier layer of skin underneath.
- Mash and puree your avocado until you reach a smooth, creamy texture.
- Add your yogurt and mix well.
- Add your honey and green tea.
Note: I like to use green tea powder for this mask just for ease. You can purchase it on Amazon for a good price.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
© 2015 Danielle Nash
Danielle Nash (author) from North America on July 18, 2017:
Between 10-15 mins is what I usually do.
Cheryl on July 18, 2017:
How long do u leave the avocado mask on?
Danielle Nash (author) from North America on December 28, 2015:
Jasmeet Kaur from India on December 26, 2015:
Very well written...love home remedies..