Top Three Coconut Oil Face Mask Recipes for Healthy Skin
What Makes Coconut Oil Good for Skin?
Coconut oil is naturally rich in antioxidants and healthy acids, including capric, caprylic, myristic, and lauric acid. Coconut oil will soften and lubricate healthy skin cells, break down dead cells, heal acne, and hydrate skin. Let's have an in-depth look at the nutrient content of coconut oil and how beneficial it is for skin:
Benefit for Skin
Kills acne-causing bacteria.
Contains strong antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
Provides nurturing benefits to sensitive and oily skin. Anti-oxidant protection.
Stimulates collagen production. Fights off free radicals, which cause premature aging. Promotes skin tautness and elasticity.
Bolsters the skin's UV protection. Slows down fine lines and aging of skin. Keeps skin connective tissues strong, preventing sagging cheeks and skin.
MCFA (Medium Chain Fatty Acids)
Protect skin from infections and bacteria. Create a skin pH that is deadly for microbes, especially the acne-causing bacterium known as Propionibacterium.
MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides)
Penetrate deep into skin pores. Unclog blocked pores, removing dirt, grime, pollution, and germs. Dissolve the 'bad' oils that clog pores and cause acne and blackheads.
Only Use Organic Virgin Coconut Oil:
Honey Lemon Coconut Oil Face Mask
Coconut oil's small molecular structure allows it to penetrate skin pores to soften rough skin from within. Honey is a natural humectant, which hydrates skin cells. Lastly, fresh lemon juice is a natural astringent, which helps tighten and shrink large pores. Let's look more closely at the benefits of the honey and lemon juice in this face mask:
Benefit for Skin
Great moisturizer. Hydrates and moisturizes skin. Contains antibacteiral, antiseptic and antiinflammatory properties. Fights acne and pimples. Fades acne scars and blemishes. Exfoliates skin cells.
Natural astringent. Tightens and shrinks large pores. Has antibacterial properties that kills acne causing bacteria.
- When using coconut oil for skin, use organic, unrefined, cold pressed, extra virgin oil so that you can avoid skin irritations. Processed coconut oil contain other ingredients and additives that may cause allergic reactions.
- Before using coconut oil, make sure you aren't allergic to it by using a test patch. Some people break out with acne after using coconut oil so first test to see if it is okay for your skin.
- Likewise, use raw honey not the processed one for best results.
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Combine the above ingredients thoroughly in a small mixing bowl.
- Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your clean face.
- Allow the mixture to sink in for 10 minutes. Rinse off with cool water.
- Pat dry with a soft towel.
Banana Turmeric Coconut Oil Face Mask
Coconut and turmeric coupled together make a good acne-fighting face mask, due to their anti-inflammatory properties. Banana hydrates and moisturizes skin. Here's some data on the benefits of turmeric and banana for skin:
Role in Face Mask
Hydrating and moisturizing. Lightens skin tone. Reduces visibility of acne scars and blemishes. Fights wrinkles and fine lines. Smoothens out rough skin.
Acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Has antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-aging properties. Fights off acne and pimples. Lightens and brightens dull skin. Evens out skin discolorations.
- To melt coconut oil, use a hair dryer or simply place the coconut oil container in a bowl of hot water.
- Select ripe or overripe bananas so that its easier to mash into a lump free paste.
- Turmeric will not stain your face yellow since we're using just a pinch. It will stain your fingernails, though. To remove the yellow stains, use a nailbrush and a teaspoon of lemon juice. Scrub gently for a minute and enjoy your exfoliated nails!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 ripe banana
- A pinch of turmeric
- Mash up 1/2 ripe banana using the back of a fork.
- Stir in the coconut oil and turmeric to form a consistent mixture.
- Slather the mixture onto your clean face. Let it settle for 15 minutes.
- Rinse off with cool water. Pat dry.
Nutmeg Avocado Coconut Oil Face Mask
Coconut oil contains antioxidants which stave off free radical damage. Coconut oil also offers sun protection and has an SPF of about 5. Avocado will hydrate and moisturize skin, while nutmeg will gently exfoliate acne-prone skin and prevent further breakouts. Here's an in-depth description of the benefits of the ingredients in this face mask:
Role in Face Mask
Protects against free radicals, slowing down the aging process of the skin. Nourishes and hydrates skin cells.
Gently exfoliates skin.
- Use only 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg as too much can irritate skin.
- Use a ripe avocado for easier mashing. You can also blend the avocado into a puree but mashing with the back of a fork can also work well.
- Extra face mask mixture can be applied on the hands, neck, cleavage and legs.
- 1 tablepoon coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- Remove the skin from your quarter avocado. Place the avocado in a bowl and mash it into a smooth paste.
- In the same bowl, stir in the coconut oil and nutmeg until you get a consistent mixture.
- Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your face with circular motions.
- Let it settle for about 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, rinse off the mask with cool water or a warm washcloth. Pat dry with a clean towel.
More Natural Beauty Hubs:
- Fifteen Amazing Beauty Uses for Coconut Oil
You'll be surprised how many beauty uses coconut oil can be put to! From homemade blush to body scrubs, coconut oil is a great ingredient to use for beautiful skin. Find beauty uses for coconut oil.
- Coconut Oil for Acne | Does It Work?
Have you tried all sorts of medications for your acne, and nothing really worked? May be it's time to go all natural and use coconut oil for acne.
- DIY: Five Easy Homemade Face Masks for Beautiful Skin
The best of DIY homemade skin mask recipes for face and body. Get recipes for the easiest, quickest, and most effective skin and face masks. We all deserve beautiful skin—naturally!
More by this Author
Looking for honey face mask recipes that you can make at home? I've shared 3 awesome masks that actually work!
For beautiful, glowing skin, treat yourself to these true beauty secrets that have been used since ancient times. Use these turmeric face mask recipes to earn the most gorgeous skin you've ever had.
Did you know that egg white is an incredibly rich, readily available face mask ingredient available right in your kitchen?