I've used this toner periodically since high school, and it really helps to prevent and heal acne fast and effectively.
DIY Toner With Green Tea and Lemon for Acne
Toners are great protection against irritating acne. They provide an extra level of protection against acne-causing bacteria and help fight current acne. Toners are also simple and quick to make at home with things in almost every fridge and pantry!
In this article, I'm going to show you a quick and simple recipe for an amazing toner for acne-prone skin. It takes only a few ingredients and works like a dream. I have used this toner on and off since high school, and it really helps to prevent and heal acne fast and effectively.
|Lemon Juice||Apple Cider Vinegar||Green Tea||Black Tea|
Closes pores and keeps skin at an optimal pH balance.
Antibacterial and helps keep skin at best pH balance.
Firms and depuffs skin, great anit-aging ingredient as well.
Nourishes and protects skin and prevents drying.
How to Make Your Own DIY Green Tea and Lemon Acne Toner
Now that we know what the ingredients will do, let's make the toner! Because it lasts pretty long if you use it nightly, we're only going to make about a cup. If you would like to use it in the morning to start your day, I do recommend leaving out the apple cider vinegar—only because it is not the greatest smelling ingredient in the world.
- I like to boil one cup of water and place both tea bags inside. If you'd rather, however, you can boil two half cups and steep your tea separately. I steep them together to save some time and dishes and let them steep for about five minutes.
- Once they are done steeping, remove the tea bags and pour the teas into a container. I use a small spray bottle or a little mason jar to keep it in. The spray bottle is great to use after washing your face for a quick spritz and go!
- Once you have mixed your tea, pour 1/4 tsp of lemon juice into the teas and mix well.
- Next, add 1/4 tsp of apple cider vinegar and close your container. Give a good shake or two and voila! You have a perfect, and easy acne toner!
I hope you guys find this helpful. Let me know in the comments below if you want to or have tried this!
Read More From Bellatory
How I Use the Toner
I have very sensitive and acne-prone skin. So each night when I wash my face, I will pour a little bit onto a cotton pad and wipe it over the clean skin.
Now the reason I do this only at night and not in the morning as well is that if you have worked with apple cider vinegar before with DIY skincare, you know it is not the most pleasant smelling thing. So for that reason, I only use it at night.
After I wipe it onto my clean face, I will wait a couple of minutes to let it dry and penetrate before adding my moisturizer and massaging it into the skin. If you do this for three to five nights in a row with this toner, you should see a significant improvement in any current breakouts you are suffering from.
Green Tea Tips
Because green tea is such a great firmer and full of antioxidants, next time you make a cup try these tricks.
- No More Puffy Eyes: Once you steep your tea, remove the teabag and chill in the fridge. After it has chilled for five minutes, remove the teabag. Lay down and apply it to your under-eye area. This should soothe any puffiness and reduce the appearance of dark circles.
- Shrink Large Pores and Minimize Fine Lines: Take a cup of green tea and pour it into an ice cube tray. The next time you look tired or stressed, pop a green tea cube out and run it under your eyes and around your face. This can reduce the size of large pores, and firm skin, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and crow's feet.
An In-Depth Look at the Ingredients
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice is great for acne. It cleanses and tones skin, fighting bacteria that can cause acne. It also shrinks the size of pores and keeps skin at an optimal pH balance, helping dry and oily skin types. The acid in lemon juice can irritate some, so it's always good to dilute with other things. But the same acid is what gives it the gentle exfoliating effect on the skin.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar does wonders at balancing the skin's pH, and this helps prevent and reduce acne as well as help achieve a more even complexion. It also helps to gently exfoliate the skin.
- Green Tea: This tea is a powerful anti-aging ingredient that firms skin and de-puffs. High in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, green tea protects the skin from free radicals. It also helps fine lines and wrinkles look smaller. It also soothes mild acne and evens the complexion.
- Black Tea: Like green tea, black tea is a powerful anti-aging ingredient. It also helps to fight off free radicals and protects skin. A great moisturizer and toner as well, black tea will also firm and de-puff skin around the eyes, while minimizing fine lines.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2015 Danielle Nash