3 DIY Banana Face Mask Recipes for Radiant Skin
What Makes Banana Face Masks Beneficial for Skin?
There are some potent vitamins and minerals in bananas that make them one of Mother Nature's most incredible beauty fixes. Dr. Oz even goes so far as to say that the tropical fruits are nature’s painless, inexpensive Botox. They also work wonders on acne and oily skin.
Let’s find out why below!
Nutrient in Banana
Benefit for Skin
Fades dark spots and blemishes. Smoothes out rough skin.
Prevents aging, reduces dryness, moisturizes, and lightens skin
Fights free-radical damage, bolsters the skin’s UV resistance, prevents and reduces the appearance of wrinkles. Is aptly known as "the protector."
Gets rid of dry skin by moisturizing and hydrating cells.
By combining bananas with other nutrient-rich ingredients, we can make face masks that serve multiple purposes. We are going to look at banana face masks that fight wrinkles, banish acne, control oil, lighten skin, and more.
Throughout this article, you will also find important tips on making and using banana face masks. Now let's explore three face masks that will benefit your skin in ways expensive and chemical-laden cosmetic creams cannot.
1. Skin-Lightening Banana Face Mask
This skin-brightening banana face mask has three powerful ingredients to hydrate, brighten, and lighten your skin.
Let’s take a look at what the two ingredients besides banana do for your skin.
Importance in Face Mask
Has skin-lightening properties. Kills bacteria and prevents acne and pimples. Moisturizes skin without making it oily.
Is loaded with citric acid, which gently lightens dark skin and evens out discolouration. Also lightens dark spots and acne blemishes.
All right, let’s get on with the mask!
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Place the ripe banana in a small mixing bowl and mash it with a fork until you have a lump-free paste. Then mix in the honey and lemon juice and combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Wash your face with a gentle soap and pat it dry with a soft towel. Using clean fingers, rub the mask into your face. Apply the mask in a slightly thick layer and keep it on for 10 to 15 minutes so that it can soak in.
- When the time is up, wash your face with warm water and do not use soap. And voilà! Be amazed with your glowing, radiant skin.
1. Pull your hair back with a head band to prevent hairs from getting stuck in the mask; it’s quite sticky!
2. Wear an old t-shirt or one you don’t mind getting messy because the face mask may drip.
3. To save time, put on the face mask before doing something like getting breakfast ready or soaking in a bath, so that you kill two birds with one stone.
2. Pimple-Fighting Banana Face Mask
Plagued by pimples every so often? It’s all about taking care of your skin with natural, potent, chemical-free ingredients. Use this inexpensive banana face mask that contains turmeric, an ancient dried root herb, and baking soda, the versatile cleanser and exfoliator.
Let’s learn about the benefits of these two additional ingredients first!
Importance in Face Mask
Breaks down dirt, grime, and excess oil, which clog up pores and cause pimples. Deep-cleanses pores.
Has potent antibacterial properties, which destroy bacteria before they can cause pimples.
- How often to use this face mask? Do not use every day, as over-exfoliation of skin is not needed. At most, use it every other day or 3 times per week.
- If you happen to make a large batch of banana face mask (or any other face mask) don’t worry! Most face masks can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week and be used safely. If anything starts smelling funky though, it’s time to hit the trash.
- After applying face packs you can always use ice cubes wrapped in a towel to massage your skin. This will close up opened pores and prevent dirt and pollution from making their way in.
- 1 small ripe banana
- ½ teaspoon powdered turmeric
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Add all the ingredients in a small bowl. Use a fork to finely mash the banana while mixing the ingredients. If your mixture is too thick, feel free to add a few drops of water.
- Apply this mask with clean fingers to your freshly cleaned and dried face. The baking soda may sting a little, but this is no cause for alarm.
- Keep the mask on for 10 to 15 minutes, then wash off with warm water. After patting your face dry with a clean towel, make sure you moisturize your face to prevent your sebaceous glands (which hydrate skin by producing natural oils) from going into overdrive to make up for the lack of oils.
3. Wrinkle-Removing Banana Face Mask
We've mentioned that Dr. Oz calls bananas nature’s Botox? Well, he's onto something! The nutrients in bananas have the power to significantly reduce the appearance of wrinkles and make the skin look more supple and youthful. In this particular face mask, we are going to going to add other wrinkle-busting ingredients as well to form a powerful combination.
First, we will take a look at the important role of these additional ingredients: yogurt and orange juice.
Importance in Face Mask
Reduces the appearance of large pores, which make skin look aged. Tightens skin pores.
Is rich in Vitamin C, which refreshes skin cells and softens harsh lines and wrinkles.
- 1 medium-sized ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon thick yogurt
- ½ teaspoon of olive oil (optional)
- As always, start with a clean, dry face.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingedrients listed above and use a fork to make a lump-free paste.
- Using clean fingers, apply the mask onto your face and massage it systematically throughout your face for 60 seconds. Then reapply a thick coat of the mask onto your face and lie down for 15 mins. Breathe calmly and think positive thoughts while letting the mask work its magic!
- Wash out your face with cold water to keep your pores tight.
- Moisturize your face.
- When applying natural masks like this, it is preferable to stand over your sink or in your bathroom to prevent unwanted messes on the floor.
- If your mask has dried up in some places and stuck to your skin, please ensure you do not tug on your skin while washing it out. Gently massage the area with water until the mask loosens up and gives way.
- You can also add ½ teaspoon of olive oil to this mask as a moisturizer so that you do not have to reapply moisturizer after using the mask.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2013 healthmunsta