I love discovering and sharing DIY beauty tips, especially all-natural solutions that you can easily make at home.
Why Are Egg Whites So Good for the Skin?
Egg whites are great for tightening and toning skin. It works wonders for greasy skin by shrinking large pores on the skin surface, thereby reducing excess sebum. Large pores are also potential breeding grounds for bacteria that cause bulbous zits and cysts, which means pore-tightening egg whites can help reduce acne.
Additionally, egg whites contain an ingredient known as lysozyme, an enzyme that kills acne-causing bacteria by digesting their cell walls.
Egg White Benefits for Skin
|Nutrient in Egg White||Benefit for Skin|
For tissue repair and growth. Promotes strong, wrinkle-free skin.
Hydrates and moisturizes. Preserves moisture in skin cells.
Eliminates toxic and cell-damaging free radicals that create wrinkles.
For youthful radiant skin. Slows down the aging process of skin.
The History of Egg Whites
Egg whites have been used in face mask recipes since ancient times, especially in Asia, to achieve beautiful, radiant skin. You can make a mask with egg white alone, or you can add in other powerful ingredients to provide more nourishing benefits to your skin.
Here are three simple, skin-friendly egg white face masks, coupled with other valuable kitchen ingredients, for healthy, blemish-free skin.
1. Acne-Busting Egg White Face Mask
This pimple-fighting face mask has three powerhouse ingredients that you can find in every kitchen. It’s simple to make and super inexpensive; you simply can’t afford to miss the numerous benefits!
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of honey
Honey and Lemon Juice Benefits for Skin
|Ingredient||Importance in face mask|
Has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Also a wonderful moisturizer and skin-lightening agent.
Powerful astringent that fights off acne-causing bacteria. Lightens skin and reduces discoloration.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and lemon juice until the mixture becomes frothy. The lemon juice masks the odor of the egg white. Add 1/2 teaspoon of honey, and stir well.
- Wash your face with warm water to open up your pores. Using clean hands or a cotton ball, apply the mixture onto your face, avoiding the sensitive areas around your mouth and eyes.
- Relax yourself as you wait for the mixture to settle and dry on your face. You can lie down and breathe deeply, thinking happy thoughts!
- Keep the mask on for 10–15 minutes. When the mixture has completely dried on your face, gently scrub it off using warm water, tackling all areas of your face in a circular motion. Pat dry with a towel, and marvel at the smooth feel of your skin!
- When applying the mixture, work upwards from your chin to your cheeks and then to your forehead using a gentle circular motion.
- Avoid the sensitive areas around the eyes and mouth. The skin in those areas is drier, and if stretched by this tightening mask, can become wrinkled.
- This wonderful mask is very effective in getting rid of excess face oils. If you have dry skin, please refrain from using this drying and tightening face mask. Instead, try out an egg yolk face mask recipe.
2. Skin-Lightening Egg White Face Mask
Pamper yourself with this skin-lightening egg white face mask. This recipe uses turmeric, a root herb that has amazing skin-lightening properties that help even out the discolorations and dark spots caused by acne!
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Read More From Bellatory
Turmeric and Orange Juice Benefits for Skin
|Ingredient||Importance in face mask|
Reduces dark spots caused by acne and evens out discolorations.
- Place the egg white and orange juice in a small mixing bowl and whisk until it becomes frothy.
- Add in turmeric powder and mix thoroughly. Make sure the mixture is not too drippy.
- Using clean hands, apply the mixture to your face and massage in a circular motion, allowing it to sink deep into your skin. Keep it on for 15 minutes while you lie down to prevent gravity from pulling the mask downward.
- When the time is up, gently scrub off the dried mask from your face and apply moisturizer. A perfect natural moisturizer is 3–4 drops of olive oil.
- Wear an old t-shirt over your clothes to prevent yellow stains from turmeric, which can be quite hard to wash off.
- This egg white mask can be quite drying, so it’s best to apply olive oil to your skin after washing it off.
- Refrain from talking or smiling with the mask on because stretching the tight skin may cause wrinkles to appear.
3. Hydrating Egg White Face Mask
Who says egg whites are only for those with oily, acne-prone skin? This hydrating egg white mask is great for people with dry skin, too! It contains potent ingredients such as avocado, a food packed with numerous vitamins and healthy fats, which are perfect for hydrating and moisturizing your skin to make it supple, soft, and smooth. The egg white will feed your skin with nourishing nutrients such as protein and riboflavin.
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
Avocado and Yogurt Benefits for Skin
|Ingredient||Benefit for skin|
Hydrates and moisturizes skin, creating a youthful glow.
Contains live cultures, which eliminate acne-causing bacteria. Nourishes dry, flaky skin, back into soft, supple, and youthful skin.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado until it turns into a lump-free paste.
- Add the egg white and yogurt, and mix well.
- Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your face with clean fingers and sit for about 15 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with lukewarm water when the time is up, and pat your face dry with a towel. Enjoy the look of your moisturized skin!
- Use a ripe avocado so that it is easier to mash it into a lump-free paste. You can also freeze, then thaw it before mashing to make things easier. If you have a blender, use it instead of a fork to quickly and efficiently blend the avocado into a lump-free puree.
- Use plain, unsweetened yogurt with live cultures when making this face mask.
- To avoid a drippy mess, ensure that you apply the face mask over your bathroom or kitchen sink.
Check Out More DIY Face Masks
- DIY: Banana Face Mask Recipes for Radiant Skin—Bananas are toted by Dr. Oz as "nature's painless Botox." See why with these wrinkle- and acne-fighting face masks.
- Egg Yolk Face Mask Recipes for Glowing Skin—Perfect for people with oily complexions.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and does not substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, and/or dietary advice from a licensed health professional. Drugs, supplements, and natural remedies may have dangerous side effects. If pregnant or nursing, consult with a qualified provider on an individual basis. Seek immediate help if you are experiencing a medical emergency.
Anusmitha on May 06, 2020:
Egg white , few drops glycerin and coconut oil daily 20min apply my face neck and hands
Holy City on March 13, 2020:
Thanks for sharing this wonderful blog that helps lots of people. Its very simple & easy to read.Please post some more blogs related to "Holy City Scrub". It will be really helpful for those girls who want to have beautiful glowing skin.
Thanks & Regards.
Taryn Fostet on January 27, 2020:
Thank you for the tip will give them a try
Louise Powles from Norfolk, England on September 21, 2018:
That was very interesting to read. Thankyou for the tips.
Ghazal on August 15, 2018:
harriet nakanyika on August 05, 2018:
thank for sharing i will try too
fifany on July 31, 2018:
Can egg yolk ,turmeric,orange also be used for skin lightening instead of using egg white?
Emily on July 29, 2018:
Can you use lime instead of lemon for the acne one?
Morayo Adewumi on July 21, 2018:
How frequently should i use this mask, i meant the first mask and can i use a toner on my face after using the first mask.
Rei on July 08, 2018:
I soaked strips of paper towel in this solution and then applied it to my face to prevent dripping. I see why those fabric masks are so big in Korea (they are just so hard to get from here in the US.) It definitely calmed my skin though I'll have to repeat to see the lasting results. .
Aneezay Jutt from Pakistan on March 24, 2018:
Thanks for this interesting information.I'll try it soon.
Carol Christine on November 09, 2017:
Any facial treatment should be repeated after 7 to 15 days
Moni on November 05, 2017:
Egg mask made my face HAIRY and doctor told me it's because of HORMONES in eggs.
I just use fruit masks.
Rochelle on August 28, 2017:
Im doing a science fair project on this, to see which face mask works better. Wish me luck!
tazim gangji on August 21, 2017:
i would like to know the homes remedies for tumaric from india for itchy skin on the face as well because I know the perfect solution I want to know urs smilrs
Dee on May 17, 2017:
Thanks for the egg white mask I'll try it... I'm desperate to see the results in just a few days!!! How long will I have to use it to see the remarkable results?
Daniel on May 01, 2017:
How often should i use the first option? Should it be in the morning or afternoon?
Manisha bharuth on April 23, 2017:
Just wanna say
A big"wow"to my skin
I tried if it will really works or not but frankly,am surprised
craftybegonia from Southwestern, United States on March 10, 2017:
Great stuff! The only problem is that I am vegan. Do you know of anything in the vegetable world that can substitute egg yolks and egg whites for face masks. Would love (and I'm sure other vegans would also) to know what it is!
Phyllia on March 09, 2017:
I don't use all of the recipe, can I keep what is left to be used later?
Pauline Byun on February 10, 2017:
Hi, I used honey mask for 6 days and saw a bright and healthy result on my face then I try to use Honey+Egg+Lemon and saw blemishes scattered on my face just on first day of use, I continue using it on the other day hoping that it's just the reaction of using it fro the first time. I want to ask if it is normal to have red spots appearing on my face? Because I'm thinking that it might be normal and after it healed then I'll have better outcome if it healed than using honey mask
Liam on January 13, 2017:
I hear egg can actually be bad for your skin and riddled with bacteria.
renee on January 12, 2017:
will try, seems easy enough. can these be made in advance and how long does it keep for once egg white is removed from egg shell?
Fatima on November 17, 2016: