DIY: Egg White Face Mask Recipes for Beautiful Skin
What Makes Egg White So Good for Skin?
Egg white is great for tightening and toning skin. It works wonders for greasy skin by shrinking large pores on the skin surface, thereby reducing excess sebum. Large pores are also potential breeding grounds for bacteria that cause bulbous zits and cysts, which means pore-tightening egg white can help reduce acne.
Additionally, egg white contains an ingredient known as lysozyme, an enzyme that kills acne-causing bacteria by digesting their cell walls.
Egg White Benefits for Skin
Nutrient in Egg White
Benefit for Skin
For tissue repair and growth. Promotes strong, wrinkle-free skin.
Hydrates and moisturizes. Preserves moisture in skin cells.
Eliminates toxic and cell-damaging free radicals that create wrinkles.
For youthful radiant skin. Slows down the aging process of skin.
Egg white has been used in face mask recipes since ancient times, especially in Asia, to achieve beautiful, radiant skin. You can make a mask with egg white alone, or you can add in other powerful ingredients to provide more nourishing benefits to your skin.
Here are three simple, skin-friendly egg white face masks, coupled with other valuable kitchen ingredients, for healthy, blemish-free skin.
1. Acne-Busting Egg White Face Mask
This pimple-fighting face mask has three powerhouse ingredients that you can find in every kitchen. It’s simple to make and super inexpensive; you simply can’t afford to miss the numerous benefits!
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon of honey
Honey and Lemon Juice Benefits for Skin
Importance in face mask
Has antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Also a wonderful moisturizer and skin-lightening agent.
Powerful astringent that fights off acne-causing bacteria. Lightens skin and reduces discoloration.
- In a clean mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white and lemon juice until the mixture becomes frothy. The lemon juice masks the odor of the egg white. Add 1/2 teaspoon of honey, and stir well.
- Wash your face with warm water to open up your pores. Using clean hands or a cotton ball, apply the mixture onto your face, avoiding the sensitive areas around your mouth and eyes.
- Relax yourself as you wait for the mixture to settle and dry on your face. You can lie down and breathe deeply, thinking happy thoughts!
- Keep the mask on for 10–15 minutes. When the mixture has completely dried on your face, gently scrub it off using warm water, tackling all areas of your face in a circular motion. Pat dry with a towel, and marvel at the smooth feel of your skin!
- When applying the mixture, work upwards from your chin to your cheeks and then to your forehead using a gentle circular motion.
- Avoid the sensitive areas around the eyes and mouth. The skin in those areas is drier, and if stretched by this tightening mask, can become wrinkled.
- This wonderful mask is very effective in getting rid of excess face oils. If you have dry skin, please refrain from using this drying and tightening face mask. Instead, try out an egg yolk face mask recipe.
2. Skin-Lightening Egg White Face Mask
Pamper yourself with this skin-lightening egg white face mask. This recipe uses turmeric, a root herb that has amazing skin-lightening properties that help even out the discolorations and dark spots caused by acne!
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Turmeric and Orange Juice Benefits for Skin
Importance in face mask
Reduces dark spots caused by acne and evens out discolorations.
- Place the egg white and orange juice in a small mixing bowl and whisk until it becomes frothy.
- Add in turmeric powder and mix thoroughly. Make sure the mixture is not too drippy.
- Using clean hands, apply the mixture to your face and massage in a circular motion, allowing it to sink deep into your skin. Keep it on for 15 minutes while you lie down to prevent gravity from pulling the mask downward.
- When the time is up, gently scrub off the dried mask from your face and apply moisturizer. A perfect natural moisturizer is 3–4 drops of olive oil.
- Wear an old t-shirt over your clothes to prevent yellow stains from turmeric, which can be quite hard to wash off.
- This egg white mask can be quite drying, so it’s best to apply olive oil to your skin after washing it off.
- Refrain from talking or smiling with the mask on because stretching the tight skin may cause wrinkles to appear.
3. Hydrating Egg White Face Mask
Who says egg whites are only for those with oily, acne-prone skin? This hydrating egg white mask is great for people with dry skin, too! It contains potent ingredients such as avocado, a food packed with numerous vitamins and healthy fats, which are perfect for hydrating and moisturizing your skin to make it supple, soft, and smooth. The egg white will feed your skin with nourishing nutrients such as protein and riboflavin.
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
Avocado and Yogurt Benefits for Skin
Benefit for skin
Hydrates and moisturizes skin, creating a youthful glow.
Contains live cultures, which eliminate acne-causing bacteria. Nourishes dry, flaky skin, back into soft, supple, and youthful skin.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado until it turns into a lump-free paste.
- Add the egg white and yogurt, and mix well.
- Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your face with clean fingers and sit for about 15 minutes.
- Wash off the mask with lukewarm water when the time is up, and pat your face dry with a towel. Enjoy the look of your moisturized skin!
- Use a ripe avocado so that it is easier to mash it into a lump-free paste. You can also freeze, then thaw it before mashing to make things easier. If you have a blender, use it instead of a fork to quickly and efficiently blend the avocado into a lump-free puree.
- Use plain, unsweetened yogurt with live cultures when making this face mask.
- To avoid a drippy mess, ensure that you apply the face mask over your bathroom or kitchen sink.
Check Out More DIY Face Masks
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.