DIY: Top 5 Easy Homemade Face Mask Recipes for Beautiful Skin
You look into the mirror and dull, tired and angry skin is what you see. May be it's time you took a few minutes off to pamper your face with all-natural face masks, made by you, for you. It doesn't hurt to show your skin some TLC. Today, we're going to look at the 5 most powerful ingredients you can use to create the most effective homemade face mask.
There are 5 key ingredients that you can choose from, depending on your skin needs. So take a look at the table below, and take a pick!
What are the roles of the KEY ingredients used in the recipes?
Rich in fatty acids and Vitamin E, promotes overall healthy skin, hydrates and moisturizes skin, leaves skin looking firmer, youthful and healthy
Contains hundreds of beneficial compounds, antibacterial, antihistamine, antioxidant, reduces redness and irritation, softens skin, brightens skin, fights acne
Repairs damaged tissues, promotes youthful radiant glow, repairs free radical damage
Known as "Nature's Botox", actively fights against fine lines and wrinkles, promotes soft, supple skin, reduces blemishes, solves dry skin problems
Rich in good bacteria, deodorizes skin, purifies skin pores, brightens complexion, hydrates skin, moisturizes and uplifts
Rich in fruity acids or AHA's, fights pimples, an excellent acne remedy, brightens skin tone,
Natural exfoliant, absorbs excess oils, softens skin, removes dead cells, draws out toxins, gently cleans clogged pores
Natural astringent, closes skin pores, prevents excess oiliness, perfect toner for skin, lightens skin, fades scars
1. Scrub-a-dub! Avocado-Oat Face Mask
Originating from Central America, avocados have taken over the health food world by a storm! And now, there's no reason not to include it in your natural skin care regimen either! With a creamy fluffy texture that feels like you're applying a luxurious mousse to your skin, avocados are rich in highly potent ingredients that are absolutely wonderful for skin. Let's find out what these key nutrients are below:
Benefit for Skin
Lubricate, moisturize and soften skin
Promotes healthy skin, revitalizes dry and cracked skin
Heals peeling skin, essential to cell health and functioning
- You can keep the mask for longer, if you have time. Keep it on until it dries.
- Don't use soap after washing off your face mask. Soap is harsh and depletes the skin's natural oils.
- Keep a batch of oats powdered before hand to save time whenever you apply the mask.
- 1 tablespoon oats powder
- 1 table spoon of mashed avocado
- Gather your oats powder and mashed avocado, and place them in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, mash up the two ingredients until you form an even mixture
- Apply this onto a clean face and allow it to rest undisturbed for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Then wash off the face mask by rubbing your face in circular motions. This will help further exfoliate and scrape off dead skin cells, revealing new soft skin underneath.
- Pat your face with a clean cotton towel. No need to moisturize your face since avocado has natural fats that will deeply hydrate your skin.
Guacamole tastes great, but never buy avocados again without saving some for your face! Here are some more great avocado face mask recipes!
2. Intense Hydration: Honey Face Mask with Coconut Oil & Avocado
From Egyptian Cleopatra to mysterious Arab empresses, honey has always played a major role in these beautiful women's regimens. Could honey be the ultimate beauty weapon? There are many compounds in honey that are still not known to man! And newly discovered compounds extracted from honey are featuring in cosmetics everyday. Why get only a pitiful share of honey's nutrients from a chemical cosmetic product? Lather raw honey luxuriously all over your face, I say! Here is a brief summary of some of the nutrients in honey that make it great for skin:
Benefit for skin
Detoxify skin, prevent acne breakouts, boost skin health, oil control, reduce redness & irritation of skin
Popularly known as the best nutrient for skin; also called "the Healer", reduces appearance of scars, reduces pigmentation, powerful anti-oxidant
Reverses free radical damage, prevents premature aging
Brightens skin, reduces dark circles
- For this highly beneficial face mask, I definitely recommend having a facial steam. This will really help open up your pores and enable the goodness of the face mask to penetrate deep.
- Use raw organic honey, if possible. But natural honey is fine too!
- Don't worry about melting the coconut oil. As soon as it comes into contact with your skin, it will automatically start melting.
- 1 teaspoon of natural honey
- 1 teaspoon of avocado, mashed
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients listed above with a spoon or a clean finger.
- Wash your face and pat dry. Using clean fingers, massage the mask into your skin.
- Continue massaging for around 60 seconds, and allow the mask to rest for 10 - 15 minutes.
- When the time is up, simply wash your face with warm water and pat off with tissues. The tissues will help get rid of any excess coconut oil left over from the mask, while allowing some of it to stay on your skin, thus letting your skin stay hydrated.
Honey, we could all use some awesome honey face masks in our life: Get more beauty recipes right here!
3. Banish Acne: Egg White Face Mask with Lemon & Honey
Egg white is a popular face mask ingredient, and with good reason! It is rich in so many nutrients that impart a glowing healthy radiance to dull skin. Here are some of the nutrients found in egg white:
Benefit for Skin
For tissue repair and growth. Promotes strong wrinkle-free skin
Hydrating and moisturizing. Preserves moisture in skin cells.
Eliminates toxic and cell damaging free radicals that create wrinkles
For youthful radiant skin. Slows down the aging process of skin.
- If you don't have a facial brush for applying face masks, do consider getting one for just this purpose. It will make your work less messy.
- Make sure you keep your facial brushes clean and wash them regularly.
- This mask may sting a little because of the lemon juice. If you are sensitive to lemon, feel free to use less lemon, or dilute the mask with water.
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 a small lemon
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Crack an egg and separate the egg white from the egg yolk. You will only need the egg white for this recipe.
- Get a mixing bowl and squeeze the juice out of 1/2 a small lemon into it. Make sure you remove any seeds.
- Add in the honey to the egg white and lemon juice and begin whipping the mixture with a fork or small whisk. Beat it until it reaches a fluffy consistency.
- Now onto a clean face, apply your freshly prepared face mask all over your face using a clean cotton ball. If you have a facial brush to apply the mixture, make sure you use a clean one.
Interested in more protein-rich masks for your skin? Here are some more!
4. Wrinkle Rescue! Zesty Banana Face Mask
Did you know bananas are also called "Nature's Botox"? They sure are! That's why this face mask is perfect for preventing premature wrinkles caused by UV light exposure and also for fighting fine lines and wrinkles - all without going under the knife! Here are some of the nutrients in banana that make it one of the best fruit for the face:
Benefit for Skin
Locks in water to hydrate dry skin
Produces collagen, boosts skin suppleness, powerful antioxidant, fights free radical damage
Destroys harmful bacteria on skin, promoting smooth clear skin free of pimples
Maintain skin elasticity and strength
- Got over-ripe bananas? Don't throw them away! Use them for a luscious banana face mask!
- Store your left-over face mask safely for 5 - 7 days in your refrigerator.
- Wanna add an exfoliating boost to this mask? Just add some ground oats to it! Got dry skin? Add some coconut or olive oil to the mask to lock in moisture.
- 1 small banana (ripe)
- 1 tsp orange juice
- 1 teaspoon of greek yogurt
- Combine the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mash up with your fork to create a smooth even mixture. Sometimes I just pop them in a small blender for a quick smooth mask. Don't worry if you don't have Greek yogurt, any yogurt will do.
- Start with a fresh clean face and apply this mixture onto your skin using clean fingers or a clean brush.
- Allow this mask to rest for 10 - 15 minutes (the standard time for most face masks do their thing). During this time, why not take a few minutes to sit in a quiet place and meditate on peaceful happy thoughts? A stress-free and happy mind is the key to ultimate beauty!
- Now wash your face with warm water and pat dry. Your skin should feel fresh and relaxed.
5. Yogurt Flush: Skin Brightening Face Mask
Strawberries are heart-shaped and are often used to symbolize love. It's probably the best-loved ice cream flavor in the world, and coupled with the nutritional superstar, yogurt, here's why it'll soon be your best-loved face mask in the world! Let's take a look at the nutrients in yogurt:
Benefit for Skin
Promotes smooth skin, exfoliates and moisturizes, clears pigmentation, reveals brighter skin, fights wrinkles
Fosters skin renewal, revealing new bright skin underneath
Brightens dull skin, lightens acne scars
- Yogurt can really stick to your skin when dry, so make sure you begin washing off by gently patting your skin with warm water to soften up the dried parts.
- Strawberry has exfoliating properties so don't rub it in too hard when washing or it may cause redness.
- Use an ice pack to close up your pores and prep it for makeup. Simply wrap an ice cube in a cotton cloth or towel and rub it all over your face.
- 1 ripe strawberry
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp yogurt
- Select the ripest strawberry and mash it up in a bowl along with the other ingredients. Use a fork to mash it up, or just use clean fingers!
- Wash your face with a gentle face wash and pat dry. Using clean fingers, just slather on this delicious-smelling face mask all over your face. Avoid getting into your eyes, of course.
- Leave the mask on for 10 - 15 minutes, or until it dries.
- When the time is up, begin gently scrubbing off the face mask using warm water. Clean off all the mask and close up your pores using a splash of cool water.
The best lovers are strawberry lovers! Don't you agree?! More strawberry face masks here!
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.